Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Any PC Gamers In Here?
    I haven't really played any video games since around 2000, my roommate had a Playstation I think it was, played a lot of that 007 Game.

I'm wondering what are some good games for the PC? Or what are some good demos or games I can download for free? I just downloaded a Quake 3 Demo which is nice. I think I need to get a new controller (was going to say joystick but I don't think that's used anymore?) or find the one I had, because this mouse ain't cutting it. Thanks for any suggestions. I think there's at least one naked one I kind of like them simple, not where I have to do a lot of reading, plan out countries and such.

I have played a lot of half-life in my time. It's a great game if you like shooting people and very relaxing after a long work day. You can play it alone against aliens or online or in networks against actual people ... which is what I did in the past. i don't tend to play as much of it as I did, I'm more into short puzzle type games at the moment.

Sue.

ABW Ambassador
    Ah yeah, I remember I dl that and played that a long time ago. I was still on dialup and had integrated video so that didn't help. Will go find that one again. Forgot about Halo, that seems to be one of the most popular games I think on the Xbox but they have a demo you can dl.

007: Goldeneye was on the Nintendo 64. I can't say much about PC games, but I do agree with Sue about Halflife, great game. Definitely try out Half-life 2. Another one that looked good was Fear. You might want to check out Crysis as well, but it's not out yet I don't think.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I kind of like them simple, not where I have to do a lot of reading, plan out countries and such.
    I'm just the opposite, or else I'd have lots of recommendations! I don't like games where if I get distracted or think of something else for a second, something/someone will come out of nowhere and frag me.

The current ones I'm playing don't have enough reading IMO, but there is planning and strategy involved. And nothing drastic will happen if I dare to look away for a sec

I'm with you on that one Leader ... with 3 cats I need a game that doesn't mind being ignored when I go to tell the boys to stop picking on their sister ... or doesn't kill me off when a cat decides that the numeric keyboard is a comfortable pillow. I love the civilisation games and have become addicted to the "find the missing items" games too. And all the puzzle games from www.kaser.com ... am completed addicted to them. It's a wonder I ever get any work done

Sue.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I haven't played any PC games for ages, last one I bought would be Civ IV, anything action orientated I buy for the 360, I'm sure when Civ V comes out I'll buy that too
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

What type of games do you prefer Trust? RTS? (real-time strategy) FPS? (first person shooter) MMO? (massive multiplayer)

I have just about everything, and we have a regular group (duh as you can tell by my name) that play different things. I prefer RTS games myself, but do enjoy the occasional frag fest.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Far Cry is out now and great, beautiful even in the scenery. The next version of this will be Crysis. Look it up on youtube.

F.E.A.R. is creepy as hell. Play it with the sound up and the lights off. OMG

I played Battefield 2142 at a EA Booth. It rocked and the multiplayer was fun.

But those are all FPS.

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    Haven't played any games since 2003, but was a big fan of StarCraft and sports simulators, such as FIFA, NBA and Grand Prix 2, 3 and 4. Call of Duty was also quite good.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    What type of games do you prefer Trust? RTS? (real-time strategy) FPS? (first person shooter) MMO? (massive multiplayer)

I have just about everything, and we have a regular group (duh as you can tell by my name) that play different things. I prefer RTS games myself, but do enjoy the occasional frag fest.
    I like the first person shooters, multiplayer too, when I played that James Bond game sometimes we had 3 or 4 people playing, trying to take each other out. But not just those, I'll try any of them out. Just don't want one where I have to spend half the day or read a (big) book to learn how to play.

Also where to you get them at? I'm just dl demos from download.com or pcworld but I guess you buy the whole thing at store or online?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I always buy mine at Amazon. They have a better selection and better prices than the stores around here. But store prices vary by location, so YMMV.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Apparently I'm getting a little addicted to Unreal Tournament 2004. I have the demo but can connect and play other people online. And I'm just getting fragged to death. So that might be the first PC game I buy, the new Unreal Tournament when it comes out in November.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I just finished Quake 4 singleplayer. Nice but not as good as Far Cry.

The Quake 4 story is a bit forced in places and the navigation and door openings dont make sense. But playable and cool monsters to fight.

YOu should be getting used to the mouse and keyword combo. It really is better than a joystick for moving and shooting at the same time.

Master fast singleplayer fighting to get ready for multiplayer. And learn to shoot for the head or upper body. Most games reward your for that.

And get Far Cry, it rocks!

Recently played Sims 2 for the first time in a while. Finished Metroid Prime 3 for Wii and am looking to do Prime 2 next.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Supreme Commander is amazing if you dig strategy gaems... Haven't played a FPS in a while though, myself...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I'm surprised no one has said "warcraft" yet. That game is like crack.....
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    I'm surprised no one has said "warcraft" yet. That game is like crack.....
    My husband is a level 70. Last night he purchased his first piece of what I think he called "epic battleground equipment." I have no interest in it personally, but to be fair I did give it a shot. I enjoy a sense of closure - of winning at the end, or even eventually getting to the end. With that game, I don't think there is ever an end. It drives me nuts.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

That's always been the biggest challenge for massively multiplayer online games... What is the end game? Even once you've accomplished everything you wanted to, where do you go from there.

It's an unenviable position that the programmers/developers are in with that.

And yeah, I play a little Warcraft. Much less than I used to. I'm a busy boy these days...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thats why they roll out expansions, I guess.

For Warcraft, you can just go 'round PVP'ing people and winning nifty stuff that way.

My problem with games that can be "won" is that after I win I never want to look at the thing again....
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

ABW Ambassador
    Alright.

So I like playing Quake MultiPlayer 4 and Unreal Tournament Multiplayer 2004. And I have the Call Of Duty 2 Demo which is nice.

Big titles coming out for the PC as far as shooters. Most in November, Chrysis, Unreal Tournament III, Call Of Duty 4, Gears Of War. Might get those.

Bought my first one which it seems is one of the biggest releases of the year, The Orange Box which is
    Half Life 2,
    Half Life 2, Episode 1
    Half Life 2, Episode 2
    Portal
    Team Fortress

And you have to have some kind of Steam Account, which I got while setting up.

Trying Half Life 2 and have no idea what I'm doing. I guess you just are supposed to walk around and figure stuff out? Trying to get to the shooting part.

Team Fortress is a massive multiplayer it looks like, tried some of that out, like it. Graphics are great.

Anybody play Half Life? which is supposed to be the greatest shooter of all time.

I bought HL2 just for CounterStrike Source back when it was first released. I am not much into the actual HL series.

I bought Orange box last week just to play Team Fortress 2, which the original was great as well. It's a LOT of fun and worth it just for that game alone.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I am a PC gamer! I unfortunately have been so busy between English classes and websites that I haven't played at all for months... The last game I played a lot was Neverwinternights 2 and before that Sims 2 with expansions. I don't like shooter games like Halo at all. I find them to be boring. I like strategy and RPG

My favorite game of all time is Alpha Centauri, but don't go out and buy it since all related games have since then 1999-2000 have incorporated all of what made it the best of its year.

ABW Ambassador
    "I bought Orange box last week just to play Team Fortress 2, which the original was great as well. It's a LOT of fun and worth it just for that game alone."

Just got finished playing some of that, need to find some guides to get some tips so I don't get killed so easy

"YOu should be getting used to the mouse and keyword combo. It really is better than a joystick for moving and shooting at the same time. "

Yep, I'm used to it now.

ABW Ambassador
    Cool. This is why I started doing affiliate stuff part-timish... or more correctly my partners do more work... I have been working on the orange box and ep1 before that.

For tf2 here are some good tips.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...73299&site=pcg

Classes to start out with are medic - heal people, when you get uber only use it when you need to, heavy - shoot things, pyro - set things on fire...

Have you tried portal yet?

Chet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast