Advantages of incorporating.
    I need some incorporating advice and I thought this would be the best place. First of all is there a real advantage to incorporating? What is the least costly structure? Are the web based incorporating sites a good place to start? Any advice from the veterans is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Yes you will be protecting your personal assets apart from the companies liabilities.

Also you may have tax advantages as a Sub S entity.

One online company that is run by an attorney and an Inc-500 company is www.Incorporatetime.com.

They can get done right.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Incorporating might help protect your personal assets, but it's not a given. Since you're probably an officer of the corporation, you'll probably still have some liability.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    That's only in rare circumstances, basically you're speaking "piercing the corporate veil".

Very hard to do, easy with the boys from Enron

You're assets are safe, a hell of a lot safer than a sole proprietorship.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

I totally agree. Incorporating is the way to go if you plan on making any decent money at all. There are many advantages from protecting your assets to guarding your own personal credit.

I would say, though, if you aren't planning on making over $25,000 US per year or more then you might consider not incorporating.

IMHO.

Everyones personal situation is so different you need advice from a cpa in your area. I could say not to do a sole properitor under any circumstance but I am not a laywer and am not even qualified to play one on tv.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    DHolland,

You can get some good insights in this forum on the issue of incorporation, but bottom line it is always a wise idea to consult a CPA and / or attorney when considering the issue.

Good Luck
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Everyones personal situation is so different you need advice from a cpa in your area. I could say not to do a sole properitor under any circumstance but I am not a laywer and am not even qualified to play one on tv.
    I agree with this approach. Several years ago I had a CPA review my business, help me set up a bookkeeping method, and advise me on the "corporate" world. He advised that I become a Limited Liability Company (LLC) in Maryland. He even downloaded and filled out the state forms for me. Cost back then was about $65.

I also had at that time, and still maintain, a business insurance policy that includes liability insurance (which will also covers defense costs). That costs me approximately $500 per year - but the peace of mind is well worth it.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread