Today Show and Online Shopping
    Aside from plugging TechBargains, DealTime, Pricebrabber and BizRate, the Today show just did a less than warm review of shopping online for what I would consider low ticket consumer goods, as well as food.

Anyone else watch?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Nope, but watching now, there is video on the home page:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032633/

ABW Ambassador
    Alright, they really didn't get into much as you can on a show like that. And they did start with people saying why they loved shopping online. Mainly it's easy and they can do it from home.

And the only products they used were food or drugstore type products like soap and she was talking about the shipping. I just ordered something yesterday from Drugstore.com and the shipping is free. Shopping online is just like people doing their shopping elsewhere, you have to look for the best deals and you can find them. And shipping is usually the bigger things that people look at when buying online. And there is free shipping at a lot of places, free shipping if you spend a certain amount, free shipping codes all over the place and then a lot of times people are willing to spend a little on it because it is easy and they can do it from home. Don't have to fight the crowds, spend money on gas etc.

And they also did say online is growing at 4x than traditional retailers.

boy, that lady doesn't like shopping online much... but I don't buy paper towel online either, I still use costco for that kind of stuff.

ABW Ambassador
    She also probably lives in NYC, so there is shopping everywhere, lots more available. She was talking about ordering online and going to the store to pick it up. I like delivery to my door. But on the products she was talking about, I usually get at the store. Food and then household type products, soap, cleansers etc. since they sell all that at the grocery store. I didn't see the show as bad or anything like that.

No, not bad. Just less than warm. And as per usual, Matt made comments that generalized too much, referring to "shopping online" often when what he meant was "buying groceries online".

But, I am a noted critic of the press, so my opinion of his comments is DEFINITELY biased.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    Shoppers really have the last word on things like this and the numbers don't lie. It just grows and grows. People who have good experiences with shopping online will continue to. New people shop online each day. And then we also have generations coming up today raised with computers/internet in the home and at school. So they're very comfortable with it and sooner or later they'll have some nice credit cards in their hands

Amen, brother.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

It would have been a worthwhile discussion if they had balanced it with some information on the kinds of bargains you CAN find online. Sure, a 3-pack of soap may be the same price in store as online...but if you buy larger packs and get enough items to earn free shipping, the savings can be substantial.

If people who watched that get the impression that it's not worth shopping online, then they'll be missing out on a lot of savings -- even on groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    No, not bad. Just less than warm. And as per usual, Matt made comments that generalized too much, referring to "shopping online" often when what he meant was "buying groceries online".

But, I am a noted critic of the press, so my opinion of his comments is DEFINITELY biased.
    Nope. Not biased -- certainly not in this case. As a former "newsguy" in print journalism, I assure you what Matt and friends do everymorning isn't really "the press."

And, in fact, your criticism of their approach in general and this piece in particular is right on target.

I doubt their piece will do much harm to affiliate marketers. Won't do any good, either. Yup, "less than warm" seems about right for it.
    Generate more fake news.

I could post at length about the decay of journalism through over exposure, unintended competition, and the medias understanding of how people are often forced to form opinions based on sound bytes due to time constraints.

But I won't.

I actually wanted to do a website/blog about it, but I haven't moved on it. I have a domain name and everything. But those aforementioned time constraints...

We can't go on all the Crusades, can we?
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    We can't go on all the Crusades, can we?
    So many worthy crusades -- so little time.
    Generate more fake news.

Internet Cowboy
    On a side note, I have a friend who is a merchant who sells turkey fryers and outdoor cooking stuff and has built a tremendous business over the years. We mentored each other back in my merchant days. One of her sites got mentioned on the Today show around Thanksgiving time and she sold her Q4 stock of turkey fryers in like two days. So these guys can help too.

I have tried and tried to get her into the affiliate world but she just won't take the leap. A few years back, she did some work as an affiliate with a certain merchant who will remain nameless (rhymes with Wetmops) and got stiffed for some money and lost interest in the affiliate channel all together.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread