Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    ValueClick Buys MeziMedia
    WallStreeJournal

MeziMedia owns, among other stuff, CouponMountain and Smarter.com

Ok, MeziMedia is a SuperAffiliate and they are an affiliate with CJ. So how do affiliates feel about their network also being an affiliate? I remember how upset many were with some CJ account managers having their own web sites. Indeed, supposedly doing so was against the rules for CJ employees. Yet they can buy an affiliate company? Will they be changing the revenue model completely where there is no affiliate revenue from those sites? How do coupon and price comparison affiliates for CJ feel about this?

I also remember when many affiliates were quite upset with the deal CouponMountain has with Yahoo where they provide a "shortcut" an coupn searches. The listings are CouponMountain affiliate links. How do affiliates now view that if it's their Network with those shortcut links on Yahoo?

And the icing on the cake, at least for me. Smarter.com has their own shopping comparison adware software, SmarterCompanion. COC Compliant of course. How do merchants and affiliates feel about their Network owning their own adware and popping on your sites? Will they discontinue the adware?

Is there a conflict of interest when your network is also an affiliate or is that now considered a non-issue with the acceptance of cpa networks?

15 years and counting
    What else can we expect from these networks and the thieves running them? For years they took advantage of our work by datamining our traffic. Now, they have enough information and just need a front to compete with us UNFAIRLY.

"Unfair" says it all.

I wonder where (if any place at all) this falls into the Unfair Competition Law. Or does the absence of precedence make it a hard case to work on? Nick?

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    From a legal point of view (correct me if I'm wrong, e.g. Mark Welch ), I don't think that competition would help to resolve this. It does look more like a conflict of interest type of case, which might fall under wrongful trading. However, US legislation may be entirely different to British laws.

So if anyone fancies an action against those guys, consult an attorney.

Vasoline Anyone?
    I think I need some because I feel like we are getting screwed in the you know where. This is crazy. Whose next? They going to try and buy up FatWallet too?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Folks, merchants and affiliates alike have choices. You have had SAS and now you have buy.at that is taking the big brand market by storm. Show your support to these 2 affiliate freindly companies and send a strong message ..... you do have a choice ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Is it pronounced messy media?

15 years and counting
    You're right Andy. It's our fault. We made CJ a success story. I could be kissing their dirty ass because they made me a millionnaire overnight. But we saw it coming, we can't trust CJ. Merchants and affiliates have enough evidence, CJ would do anything for a buck. It's time for merchants (and the affiliates will follow) to stop considering them as a partner.

An interesting turn of events....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    Yet they can buy an affiliate company? Will they be changing the revenue model completely where there is no affiliate revenue from those sites?
    Valueclick has owned PriceRunner for a few years, so this is nothing new. I would not expect anything to change because of their latest acquisition.

By the way, I just forwarded this article and link to a large Rochester company that runs no less than 6 aff programs at CJ.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    By the way, I just forwarded this article and link to a large Rochester company that runs no less than 6 aff programs at CJ.
    Hopefully you've already sent them a link to Kellie's Contextual Adware Advertising Impact Study and one to the class action lawsuit against CJ, too.

Internet Cowboy
    Yet another reason to continue my practice of DIVERSIFICATION.

It is a shame, because the people I have met from CJ are very nice and they even fed me several drinks one night at Summit. But this is a clear move in the direction of them wanting to take over the affiliate space even to the detriment of those who have made them who they are today.

This does not surprise me. It only hammers my work at SAS and elsewhere even harder.

Ghoti: I requested a meeting. If it's declined, I'll email them with more back up
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    You're right Andy. It's our fault. We made CJ a success story. I could be kissing their dirty ass because they made me a millionnaire overnight. But we saw it coming, we can't trust CJ. Merchants and affiliates have enough evidence, CJ would do anything for a buck. It's time for merchants (and the affiliates will follow) to stop considering them as a partner.
    Zeus,

Mal didn't want to post here as a matter of decorum, being CJ's forum, however he did post his thoughts in the buy.at forum ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Maybe this means that I will finally be able to get in touch with someone at Mezi Media to add some programs to their coupon sites, or to update their 3 year old dead links...

While I believe this is an unfair business tactic (aka should be covered under FTC Unfair Trade Practices), I seriously doubt this will affect my business. CJ going belly up would do so (if only temporarily).

I wonder who they'll buy next.

It's ahppening all over the industry with Google buying DoubleClick, Microsoft buy aQuantive, etc... It's just going to continue. Midas well get used to it.

It was/is Coupon Cabin that has the Yahoo deal, not Coupon Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    Zeus,

Mal didn't want to post here as a matter of decorum, being CJ's forum, however he did post his thoughts in the buy.at forum ...
    Yeah, but thank you for making sure here in CJ's forum that we knew about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    Folks, merchants and affiliates alike have choices. You have had SAS and now you have buy.at that is taking the big brand market by storm. Show your support to these 2 affiliate freindly companies and send a strong message ..... you do have a choice ...
    I do not have a choice, it is not as black and white as that. I have loyal visitors that expect certain stores. I can't just dump all the name brand stores and post a bunch of unknowns.

Well, nobody is considering other side of the story. A collection of affiliate sites worth as much as $352 million! Granted smarter.com also run a ppc merchant program but, still, the number is Wowzers!

Also, this make Valueclick/CJ an affiliate Linkshare and Performics. How about that?

I certainly don't like the situation; it just seems wrong. But, I don't think there is anything illegal here that need FTC involvement. They sign up the advertisers, they also publish them. Just like Google; they have advertisers, they publish ads, and they also allow third party sites to publish those ads, too. Same thing, basically.

As far as Mezi Media's adware concerned, the merchants have not acted upon tons of other adwares, I think they won't mind one owned by CJ. Also, merchants won't care who gets the commission (whether it is CJ itself or another affiliate), as long as the sale is made.

ABW Ambassador
    Good points Sam Bay.

I was amazed at the valuation too (352 million) and CJ/ValueClick finds it accretive to earnings (EPS). Perhaps, it is due to the acquisition being mostly a cash buy out (not dilutive to EPS). Can any accountant here surmise the profitability of MeziMedia based on publicly available information (accretive to CJ EPS and the revenue numbers of MeziMedia) that may explain why VCLK paid what it did?

15 years and counting
    CJ is now one of our competitors, plain and simple. And, I don't like it.
    CJ is paid (way too much) to be an independant third party, collecting our money and providing tracking. Period. They should not be paid to become our competition.
    They can do whatever they want of their money as long as it doesn't interfere with my business. It's a conflict of interest.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast