Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Internet Cowboy
    Call me Mac!
    As I have stated previously here and elsewhere, I am working my way away from PC computers and diving in to Mac world.
    Today a need for a computer came up and I bought a Mac mini to satisfy the need. I am is awe of how small this thing is and how powerful it can be. This computer will be pretty much dedicated to my music room and will work fine for what I need.
    Over the next few years I should have my entire computer inventory moved over.

Hope your having lots of fun!!

~Call me anything you want, just don't call me mac!

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Hi, Mac!
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

You can't be Mac ... that's an old nickname of mine ... give it back

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    As I have stated previously here and elsewhere, I am working my way away from PC computers and diving in to Mac world.
    Today a need for a computer came up and I bought a Mac mini to satisfy the need. I am is awe of how small this thing is and how powerful it can be. This computer will be pretty much dedicated to my music room and will work fine for what I need.
    Over the next few years I should have my entire computer inventory moved over.
    Scooter, welcome to the Mac world. I am pretty sure that you'll be so satisfied that you'll never go back to a PC. I used to be a PC user too, but now I am all Mac and loving it. As you can see, even a Mac Mini works better than a PC, let alone if you got a more powerful Mac.

If you need any advice on software, please don't hesitate to ask. I know all the Mac software there is.
    Alex
    AlexBet.com - Professional Website Design, Website Development, Mobile App Development!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
    Benjamin Franklin

BTW.... Viruses, spyware, OS blocking, OS crashing, ..... What is that!?!?!? Not on a Mac my friend.
    Alex
    AlexBet.com - Professional Website Design, Website Development, Mobile App Development!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
    Benjamin Franklin

Congratulations Scooter! I actually may convert with my next upgrade. I have almost been brainwashed.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Akkkkkkkk - I have an aversion to MAcs but I understand they're SUPPOSED to be superior. Just can't handle the snobbery of MAC users!

Scoot, enjoy your new toy and OS but stay real please! ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexBet
    If you need any advice on software, please don't hesitate to ask. I know all the Mac software there is.
    Thanks Alex. I may well take you up on that until I get up to speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexBet
    BTW.... Viruses, spyware, OS blocking, OS crashing, ..... What is that!?!?!? Not on a Mac my friend.
    You know, it is just ridiculous to have to buy a subscription to Norton (or whatever flavor) with every PC. But if you don't have it, you get all kinds of crap on your computer. This is a big part of my decision. M$ could make their computers immune to this stuff but that would kill a slew of cottage industries, many of which M$ has a stake in.

I know this will take some effort on my behalf but I know the long-term rewards will be there.

Thanks for your support and for being such a nice guy!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Hey Mac,

I tried the Mac and I can't get over the PC, so i turned back to PC.

Not a Mac

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    You know me well enough to know that if I am nothing at all, I am real. I will promise not to look down on you as a PC user

Thanks Anne. See ya in Mac Land baby!

Here's something I NEVER thought I'd say: My next computer COULD be a Mac.

I'm a diehard, lifelong (OK, "lifelong" here is relative. I've been around much longer than Windows PCs or Macs.) PCer. My wife and I have two laptops (mine Toshiba; hers Gateway) powered by Windows XP. All of our software, web building, word processing, the works, is Windows.

But, alas, I've heard NOTHING good about Bill Gates' latest folly -- Vista.

In a year or two, when we must get new computers, if we have no real alternative to Vista -- we may indeed go with Macs.

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiii! I feel myself falling into the Mac Dark Side.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by WyndhamVacationR-EricEwe
    Hey Mac,

I tried the Mac and I can't get over the PC, so i turned back to PC.

Not a Mac
    Me too.

I bought a Mac to try it out, but the UI feels foreign to me. I haven't turned it on in over a month now. I'm keeping it around for occasional video editing and testing, though.

But maybe at some point if I'm forced to switch to Vista, I might end up on a Mac. That's how I became a Firefox user... I was perfectly happy with IE 6, but when IE 7 came along it annoyed me enough to take a look at FF and I chose that over IE7.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Akkkkkkkk - I have an aversion to MAcs but I understand they're SUPPOSED to be superior. Just can't handle the snobbery of MAC users!

They are like a cult of some kind, aren't they? My brother is a MAC technician and has tried to convert me for years, even offering me a free computer and software.... my sister is also a MAC head. They both think they are so much better than me, lololol! I think they put something in the computer that invades their brains. Like PC envy or something? Don't know.

Internet Cowboy
    Yes, Mac users can be rabid. I don't plan on being that way, but again I end up doing lots of things I never planned to do.
    If I become a Mac snob, Anne please bring me back down to earth

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I just turned to the dark side as well and bought a 20 inch imac. So far so good.

No crashes yet. I love how you can "quit" a program when it's stalling and the whole computer does not freeze up

I do miss a few of my pc only programs but finding some alternatives.

Yes, Mac users can be rabid. I don't plan on being that way, but again I end up doing lots of things I never planned to do.
    If I become a Mac snob, Anne please bring me back down to earth
    Listen, Judy is a complete doll but YOU know she is going to kick you to the curb if you fall into that MAC brainwashing crap. No worries Scoots, Judy has it UNDER control!

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Have fun with the Mac
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    You know me well enough to know that if I am nothing at all, I am real. I will promise not to look down on you as a PC user
    Oh you will! And then we'll have to smack you back to earth LOL

I've used MACs before ans prefer PCs. Plus most of the programs I want are PC not MAC. PC still rules and going MAC would cause all sorts of complications I don't want any part of.

Meanwhile, I'll live behind my PC fortress and try to ignore you when you brag about not having to worry about viruses.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    The Mac Ads must be working, I bought a Macbook , Apple TV and AirPort Express the on Sunday ...granted they are actually for my wife.... but ermmm well she can use my old PC
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Smile
    Hmmm, you're a "Mac Man" now, eh?

BF won a Sony Vaio at Summit - most of his friends are telling him to sell it on ebay and buy an iMac - I told him to keep it and we'll venture into the Mac World later.

I worked on a Mac Mini for about a year (office job - shudder...), and wasn't terribly impressed. I was in an all Mac environment and found that the iMac's were a lot faster (even though my Mini had "better" specs). However, this was the first generation Mini that came out over a year ago, and I'd imagine they've gotten better since.

Did you notice that the power supply is outside of the computer? The brick that is. That's one way they keep the size down. Moving the brick outside the computer (like how your laptop does) cuts down on heat and size.

I've debated giving in to the Mac side, but I get annoyed that their software will run on the x86 platform but they still require you to buy their hardware. That, and their laptops still just come with the one single button (why won't Jobs admit he was wrong about the two-button frenzy, his own software supports multiple buttons and he still refuses to push out a laptop with two distinct buttons - and don't get me started about the not-so-Mighty Mouse). If they would sell me the OS straight up, I would probably give in and put it on my desktop. I'll openly admit that it's a better OS than Windows. But as it stands, I don't want to be pressured to build my system how they think it should be built.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Apple makes computers?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Mac snobs??
    I have a different take on "Mac snobs." In my experience, PC users roll their eyes when hearing I am a Mac user or admit, privately, that they are closet Mac users at home.

Welcome to OS X Scoot! Feel free to ask any questions you might have about software, usage, etc. I'm more than happy to help. Here are a few shortcuts to get you started:

apple+T - open new tab
    apple+W - close current tab or window
    apple+Q - close the current program
    apple+A - select all
    apple+shift+N - create a new folder
    apple+tab+left/right - change programs
    apple+left/right - move to beginning or end of line
    apple+shift+left/right - select to beginning or end of line

That's all I can think of at the moment, but there are a ton of nifty shortcuts. As far as software is concerned you might want to try Camino for web browsing. It's very clean and fast. What's nice is you can hold apple+option and press the left or right arrows to change tabs (Safari's shortcut for this is a bit awkward to me). Another must-have is Adium for all the chat networks. With Adium you just need to hold apple+left/right to switch chat tabs, very convenient.

Let us know what you think of it once you've gotten used to it. It took me a couple months to really get comfortable with it, but it's well worth the investment. Best way to go is to dive right in.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast