I was recently rudely awakened from my innocent slumber regararding affiliate marketing when I discovered that they had been inserting their PID# into sales that they did not refer.

I was further shocked by my conversations with CJ in which they said that such behaviour is compliant with the letter of their contract, and they will not stop it. I had, perhaps naievely, though that they might have an interest in keeping the crooks out of their network.

Since my program has 7000+ affiliates, It would be prohibitive to investigate all of them for theft.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to spot warning signs of cheating affiliates? Is there a list of bad ones somewhere?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    shareasale.com recently came out with a very strong stance against parasites. You might consider opening up an affiliate program through them, since we really want to support networks that help to keep the playing field level. I'm not saying close the CJ account, CJ is a GREAT resource, but the cost at www.shareasale.com is very nominal, and on a transaction by transaction comparison, shareasale may even save you some money - I'm not sure of the exact CJ costs.

The point is, if affiliates can find parasite free merchants on parasite free resources like www.shareasale.com , it increases the chance that we will actually get paid the commissions we earned.

As for detecting parasites, I'm sure others will be along to help you with that...

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.

Jhoge,

One way you might look at is to see if you seem to be having fewer commission free sales lately.

A parasite is not shy about claiming a percentage of sales you would have had anyway, and CJ is not shy about claiming their 30% of this.

For instance, if your domain is listed in it's own right on a search engine a parasite infested shopper will cause a commission to be paid anyway. Even if the shopper types in the url to your store themselves you still pay a commission as if it was a affiliate sale.

Be careful about challenging CJ on this issue. If I were you I'd just leave that network quietly.

I don't know if Shareasale does custom landing pages for links - this is what lots of the best affiliates prefer. I hope it does or will do soon.

There are also in-house solutions and there are people here who can help you with the technical aspects of that.

>I was further shocked by my conversations with CJ in which they said that such behaviour is compliant with the letter of their contract, and they will not stop it.

If you would like to live in interesting times (as the Chinese don't really say) you might ask how that squares with the laws on, say, intellectual property and criminal copyright violation.

Heh. Ask them to sign something about 'how if I get prosecuted for such things they'll take full responsibility'.

I

[This message was edited by Icicle on October 02, 2002 at 08:08 PM.]

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    jhoge,

I sympathize with you and even though I don't have as many affiliates as you do I'm finding it
    extremely difficult to keep up with new applications due to the fact that I am so paranoid I may accidently approve a parasite.
    I am having to spend 3 times more effort doing due diligence and may even be turning down some legit affiliates due to being overly cautious.

One thing to look for with existing affiliates (learned this here) is if an affiliate is making LOTS of sales with no impressions it can be a warning flag for further investigation.

Here's some more info that may help.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...421#5976094421

Unless CJ takes a stand and helps merchants with this parasite thing, I think it's going to be a real challenge to find time to both nurture our good honest affiliates while at the same time trying to be detectives and weed out the parasites.

Good luck and share if you have any other ideas.

Linda
    Ecommerce & Affiliate Manager
    ProSound and Stage Lighting
    www.pssl.com
    Email & Search Engine Marketing
    www.catalystEmarketing.com

Greetings,
    I have seen heated discussions regarding buyersport and other "commission stealing" companies and would like a bit more info on this topic.

I am a merchant and buyersport is an affiliate of us. They have one text link on their site. I see, however, a high impression number. How would I know if buyersport is doing anything wrong?

I appreciate your feedback.

Claudia,

Download morpheus and go to your site. You will see that the buyersport PID pops into your URL query string. This means that you are paying commission on every order that comes from any computer with Morpheus installed on it.

In our case, we do quite a bit of print advertising. If a customer sees one of our expensive print ads and orders online, we will pay commission to Buyersport even though that person was never referred by Buyersport, and might have never gone on the buyersport website.

If your shopping cart system captures initial refer URLs, buyersport "parasite" orders will show up without any refer URL.

quote:
    Originally posted by Claudia:
    Greetings,
    I have seen heated discussions regarding buyersport and other "commission stealing" companies and would like a bit more info on this topic.

I am a merchant and buyersport is an affiliate of us. They have one text link on their site. I see, however, a high impression number. How would I know if buyersport is doing anything wrong?

I appreciate your feedback.

but this would only apply to those who downloaded the morpheus software. I heard that the software has been updated since they released the first version.

jhoge,

Hi and welcome to ABW!

I have the list on www.parasiteware.com

I approved you to the affiliate managare's forum -

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=frm&...79&f=315609789

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Claudia,

Hi and Welcome to ABW as well

Wurld did upload a revised version last week, currently it only incentivises the end user via a TSR program that resides in the toolbar, see ...

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...1&m=2166022221

... for more details on such. Please also read through the Wurldmedia specific forumwurldmedia forum within the ParasiteWareâ„¢ forums. I have also approved your account for access to the affiliate managers only forum.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

quote:
    but this would only apply to those who downloaded the morpheus software. I heard that the software has been updated since they released the first version.

Claudia,

The previous wurldmedia program had overwritten affiliate codes of other affiliates. When I spoke to them, they correctly stated that they no longer do this, but omitted the fact that they stuff their PID number into orders that were never referred. While it is true that this only applies to machines with Morpheus downloaded, that number is in the tens of millions.

John

quote:

Haiko,

Has anybody compiled list of CJ PID numbers of known affiliates? I would love to get this and cross check my database of sales to make sure I'm not being robbed!

John

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread