Question Do no evil?
    Last night I did a search on Google for a specific well known product manufacturer. The first 6 results in the organic search were for Google Shopping which were the least relevant to my search as they were for specific products and not the manufacturers web site (which were the next several results). This morning I perform the exact same search and Google shopping is nowhere to be found and the manufacturer has top rankings.

This brings up a couple of questions.

- If the Google Shopping links were the most relevant results last night, shouldn't they be somewhere in the rankings this morning?

- How could Google Shopping be more relevant than the manufacturer especially since I wasn't searching for a specific product but the manufacturers web site by name?

- Are Google sites subject to the same algorithm when determining relevancy and if not why?

- Is inserting Google Shopping above all other organic results an unfair business practice?

I often wonder why Google is allowed to compete with publishers on search when they can (and apparently do) manipulate the results. I really don't understand why this isn't considered a conflict of interest or unfair business practice.

Do no evil my a$$!

OK, Rant over.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

it's their sandbox and the playground monitor is the FTC who is less then fully informed i'm sure.

the waters are muddy...to many merchants with adsense, affiliate referrals and networks buying up affiliate real estate

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    They are very dangerous to be sure.

I think the "do no evil" motto became laughable when they started giving away so much money to domain spammers. In my book, those guys are evil. But Google is a business. They do whatever they can to make more money, even if it means supporting domainers and putting Google Shopping higher in the results. Or stripping PageRank from sites with too many obvious affiliate URLs.

Evil perhaps is a strong word. Admit it, if you ran a site as popular as Google, wouldn't you be tempted to put your "affiliate" links at the tops of the pages? Perhaps you put your best selling / highest converting product at the top of pages in a special box marked "Featured Products". It's common enough that while it bothers me that they play by different rules, I can almost understand it.

They're smart about it though. They push hard enough to get their point across ("hey, don't forget we also sell stuff here at Google...") but they back off before people start to feel that the whole Google experience is Google-tainted.

That said, Google scares me. Any company that knows more about my clientèle than I do scares me.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    Admit it, if you ran a site as popular as Google, wouldn't you be tempted to put your "affiliate" links at the tops of the pages?
    Absolutely. However I'm not a search engine that claims to rank sites in order to provide the "best user experience". Google Shopping should not have ranked higher than the manufacturer.

I know it's they're sandbox, but there are always rules of fair play.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    What's Google Shopping? Do you mean Google product search?

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    That said, Google scares me. Any company that knows more about my clientèle than I do scares me.
    Any company that knows more about me than I do scares me.

-rematt

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    What's Google Shopping? Do you mean Google product search?
    I searched from my address bar as I usually do and I believe it said Google Shopping and had a shopping cart before each entry and pointed to a Google domain. I didn't click any of the links and unfortunately I haven't been able to duplicate the results (even though it was a one word search) which is what really caught my attention, I haven't been able to figure out what triggered the results that I received.

-rematt

ABW Ambassador
    Ah ok, so those Google Checkout merchants or maybe Google Base with local merchants? If you see it again, if you can get a screenshot, figure out what it is.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Who still has a Google toolbar on their machine? I know I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    That's a little too scary. I'm always been nervous about installing anyones toolbar. I don't even trust Norton.

-rematt

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Ya I pulled it too.

With FF, there's a great extension called "Customize Google" which allows me to use all of Google's products anonymously. It also allows me to block ads on their network, link to results from other search engines, and some other pretty nifty things.

Google and FF seem to be getting pretty friendly, and a lot of Google's functionalities are now built into FF. For example, the built-in spell checker that everyone raves about I believe is powered by Google.

Thus, the extension to keep Google from gathering quality information from me.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

ABW Ambassador
    I still use their Toolbar but I removed Google Desktop from my new computer. That came installed on my new Dell as well as other brands. The sidebar gadgets were all Google too, Google Gadgets, got rid of those too and am using what was supposed to be there, Vista/MS gadgets. They're just all over and coming preinstalled on a lot of computers.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I usually use FireFox and don't have the toolbar on that browser.

I had uninstalled it from IE, too, but got curious about my PR, so I put it back on IE for occasional checks.
    Google and FF seem to be getting pretty friendly, and a lot of Google's functionalities are now built into FF. For example, the built-in spell checker that everyone raves about I believe is powered by Google.
    I never upgraded to FF 2. So my FF should be free of Google...right?

As for Google being evil, I agree with that. Not for putting their own links up top, but for the total hypocritical BS they spew. If they followed their own guidelines, they would be dead! A look at Google's site reveals that:

1) It's all autogenerated content
    2) It's not unique content--it's scraped
    3) It's got lots of links to (I hate this term) "bad neighborhoods"
    4) It's not updated very often, just shifted around

In that light, they need to take their so-called "guidelines" and stuff 'em.

I always used dogpile in my life prior to affiliate marketing. If truth be told, I think their results are better. Although they are just an amalgamation of the rest of the big guys.

Somehow a smattering of all of them seemed alot more effective than the all-knowing google.
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    As for Google being evil, I agree with that. Not for putting their own links up top, but for the total hypocritical BS they spew. If they followed their own guidelines, they would be dead! A look at Google's site reveals that:

1) It's all autogenerated content
    2) It's not unique content--it's scraped
    3) It's got lots of links to (I hate this term) "bad neighborhoods"
    4) It's not updated very often, just shifted around

In that light, they need to take their so-called "guidelines" and stuff 'em.

I think since becoming spyware, Google can't much use the "do no evil" mantra. Doesn't really apply...

rematt, were you logged into any Google accounts at the time?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

The reason you did not see the same results as your first search maybe that Google "realized" they were not relevant to you since you did not click on them and presumably went down the list and clicked on the manufacturer's page. Also, Google's results are "dynamic" changes from daytime to nighttime, from region to region, and I am sure they have some IP-based results reconfigurations, as well.

Still, among all other companies such as Yahoo, Microsoft, MSN, Ask etc, I trust Google the most!
    In fact, I trust them fully that they will do no evil, and they will not violate my privacy!

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan

I think since becoming spyware, Google can't much use the "do no evil" mantra. Doesn't really apply...

rematt, were you logged into any Google accounts at the time?
    Google search always shows me logged in.

-rematt

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread