Hostgator on CJ NO GO
    Hostgator did not track and when I asked them about it they asked why I was not in house with them instead of going through CJ.

The excuse was that the cookies must have been cleared after the link was clicked and that many other affiliates made commissions on the same day..also that no commission was awarded for the sale in question. So i sent them a screen grab of the cookies sitting in the folder before I made the purchase for a client of mine and am waiting for a response from the affiliate manager now.

i agree
    I have had a similar experience with the CJ version of the HG affiliate program.

If you actually go through and test it out, the hostgator in house cookie will take precedence over the CJ cookie. They are DIFFERENT COOKIES!!

I explained this to them and they also asked why i was not using the in-house program? because CJ has a higher base commission of course! But this is moot if the cookie from the prgroam is not on the same playing field as the one from the in-house program.

I recommend signing up for the in-house program, you will just lose money if you go with the CJ version. I have actually done this now with all the programs i work with, I just can't trust CJ after all this mess.

I have also found that the bluehost CJ tracking cookie also has problems as there are several referrals I knew about that never showed up until I asked, what about the ones i dont know about? you dont get those obviously. I switched to the in-house program and have seen a dramatic jump in referrals

fair warning on HOSTGATOR LINKS
    wow been a few days now and I just edited a hot headed follow up that nearly reached send :-)

Is anyone actually having good luck with HostGator, or is it all the same as I see it? I'm ready to place a new order just to see if everything is in place on the confirmation page.

after supplying the cookie information so they could "follow up" I've been told that either the cookies were not enabled (sent them... you so and so) or that they had been deleted, but they are still here on my computer

I do ok with Hostgator but using their in-house system, not CJ.

only had one report of an order not tracked with the in-house but the user mingt not have done things right.

I work with a number of affiliates who have problems with the CJ links not tracking. It is a known issue for CJ and we have reported to them MANY times that up to 20% of the sales we report they never pay the affiliates on. Im not trying to badmouth CJ, but their tracking system needs some major improvements.

when I asked hostgator about it they said to use their in house system, they said their in house cookie superseeds the CJ cookie.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnner69
    when I asked hostgator about it they said to use their in house system, they said their in house cookie superseeds the CJ cookie.
    that's a very serious allegation, one that involves contractual obligations, have you tested it with a test purchase?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    that's a very serious allegation, one that involves contractual obligations, have you tested it with a test purchase?
    Donuts, there was another hosting company with a CJ and an in-house program that had the exact same thing happening. They were also pushing for their private program rather than the CJ one. They stopped posting here, and last I saw they were being managed by Partner Centric .

Here's some history on that one, from a Google search.

Folks were experiencing a 100% reversal rate with the CJ program.

straight from the horses...well you pick a word

"The only reason I can see was that before this client signed up they cleared their cookies as nobody received credit for the sale.

May I ask why you're not using our in-house program? It tends to have more advanced tracking." WTF WHY ARE YOU WITH CJ?

after a few emails this was the resolution for not paying me

"I'd be happy to pay you for any valid sales you sent to us. However if a sale does not register through a cookie there is not much I can do. On the same day you sent us this sale there multiple sales from other CJ publishers that were credited.

Also, we do not allow for you to be able to sign up on behalf of your client. Your client must be referred from you and sign up for service for themself.

We try to run an honest program here, however we do have stipulations and requirements.

I hope you can understand."

The above post from mrbshouse is not in reference to me, however, managing affiliates on CJ is quite a chore. The nice difference between them and what I do for my affiliates is check the records. In CJ I can check and see a domain name that was registered (it shows up in the transaction record) and then I can check to see if it is on our servers. If it is on our servers - if so it shows as a CJ affiliate and shows the link it came from, then I can look and see if it shows up in the CJ commissions paid out. If it is on our server as coming from CJ and then does not show up on their side I can do a manual payment (which happens quite a bit). I wish it were not so, but from the hosts reply above, I can see their frustration with CJ, but they should still be able to help out the affiliate in the end.

Now, if it shows up with no referral etc. then the above statement would be correct, if someone blocks ALL cookies on their machine, or clears them before completing the sale, it would not show the affiliate and it would be nearly impossible to prove that the referral was from a specific place.

Sounds like typical merchantspeak for "we really don't want to pay you or CJ, but thanks for the sale!"

My approach is that my affiliates are everything. I always try to err on the side of paying my affiliates rather than trying to hoard the money for the company.

i.e. dont bite the hand that feeds you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnner69
    If this is true, then it's not CJ that's not tracking, it's the merchant that's not reporting the transactions. The only way for them to "supercede the CJ cookie" is to not report the transaction as they cannot touch the cookie.

If they're crediting an in-house affiliate while not reporting the sale to CJ, that ain't right. Even if they intend to honor last-in, they cannot read the CJ cookies to know the date of the CJ click.

When a merchant has logic on their end to report a transaction or not, that spells trouble. Networks shouldn't allow that sort of thing to happen.

It just goes to show that the merchant is the one in control, whether it's an inhouse program or through a network. Any network.

In my case there is one of three options as i see it.

1. CJ failed to report it based on this being purchased on a known "affiliate" computer, or other tracking issue
    (two hosting purchases two failures to report HG & BH)

2. Some other affiliate over wrote my cookie
    (was reported as non commissioned sale)

3. the merchant did not use "Approved" conformation information

I know how to set a cookie and even sent the cookie info to HG I saw the click report in CJ (it was the only click registered)

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by sjangro
    If this is true, then it's not CJ that's not tracking, it's the merchant that's not reporting the transactions. The only way for them to "supercede the CJ cookie" is to not report the transaction as they cannot touch the cookie.

If they're crediting an in-house affiliate while not reporting the sale to CJ, that ain't right. Even if they intend to honor last-in, they cannot read the CJ cookies to know the date of the CJ click.

When a merchant has logic on their end to report a transaction or not, that spells trouble. Networks shouldn't allow that sort of thing to happen.

It just goes to show that the merchant is the one in control, whether it's an inhouse program or through a network. Any network.
    Scott, that is exactly what a pet merchant was found to be doing a while back, running a program on a network - and skimming the sales/commissions off to their in-house program - also Yahoo cookies.

MrB - thanks for the email, I took care of that transaction for you on CJ.

just got confirmation of that ;-)

I will mention a bit more in the other thread as this is one is about the actions of another host

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread