Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems
    This just crossed my radar via email and I thought it was important enough for our community to be aware ....

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...e-systems.html

Scarry stuff to say the least ....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, but like the end of the article, I don't see it seeing the light of day. That would be their own little PR nightmare.

Part of the article reads:

Microsoft has filed another patent, this one for an "advertising framework" that uses "context data" from your hard drive to show you advertisements.....

Ok... I'm LMAO... how far down in the Vista Lic. Agmt. do you think the text is that OKs the above part of the article. heheh hahahah

BTW how do I put little simlies in my posts?

Doug

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Yeah, but like the end of the article, I don't see it seeing the light of day. That would be their own little PR nightmare.
    Right but what better way to beat big G at the game than to start inside the OS, right inside the hard drive? Just something for us to be aware of ... we can't sleep in the industry ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

ABW Ambassador
    They caught all kinds of hell in the past when they were in talks to buy Gator/Claria. I can't see anything actually coming out of it.

So UncleScooter, about that Mac...

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Just plain yikes!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I dont know what I will do when my (or my companies) computers are forced out of Win XP when it stops getting support.

What do they guarantee? 2 years of support?

Maybe Linux will be 100% by then.

I admin a network of about 50 PCs still on Win2k. We are moving to XP by the end of this year only because we run software that will no longer be supported on Win2k.

You are right though about linux maybe I can move to that platfom in a few years.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    my appl stock's looking better every day!

wonder if micosoft will eventually rename "operating system" to "advertising system"...

or change it from "windows" to "billboards"...

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    wonder if micosoft will eventually rename "operating system" to "advertising system"...

or change it from "windows" to "billboards"...

Looks like that's the way they're heading.........

G.

This sounds ridiculous and hard to understand why MS would do this but I remember thinking the same thing when they wanted to make IE part of the OS
    Last edited by Greg Rice; July 17th, 2007 at 06:38 PM.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe they just got it so nobody else would with no plans to actually use it. They're not going to have this in any future Windows.

Let's see, besides litigation, PR nightmare, public outrage, the more important thing, Windows coming with Adware would drive business to who? Mac. Having a choice, people are going to pick a clean system over one with adware. I'm sure MS doesn't want to drive business to the Mac. They're not going to make a move that takes themselves out.

Was checking for other articles/discussions on it, Slashdot:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/17/1536230

Still reading but saw a comment that made sense. Having this patent not to implement but maybe go after adware producers for violating their patent, something in that neighborhood. Don't think there is any ill intent behind but doing it for other reasons we might not know yet.

Another comment I agree with:

"This is one of the rare times that I approve of a software patent, for two reasons:

1. This patent will prevent other people from doing the same thing, and
    2. If MS actually does this, more people will leave Windows behind."

They don't want #2.

More comments about this having to do more with Google and Google Desktop search. Maybe Google is the one that needs watching and this is their little weapon against them later down the line. Another way for Google to get some advertising on computers. First thing I removed when I got my new computer, Google Desktop and everything that came with it. They don't want to take themselves out, they want to take others (Google) out. New Dell with Vista, I didn't have Vista/MS sidebar gadgets like I'm sure MS wanted, I had Google Gadgets**. MS doesn't like that. So I'm thinking it has to do with this and this is a preventive move MS is taking in case Google tries something with all the information they're gathering with all the Google applications coming preloaded on computers and applications people are downloading themselves, mainly Google Desktop. So smart move for MS.

**Got rid of Google Gadgets, put back MS/Vista gadgets.
    Last edited by Trust; July 17th, 2007 at 06:31 PM.

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    I don't actually think that a common user would turn to Mac, since it's quite pricey when comparing to PCs. In addition, the former is not that flexible when it comes to upgrades. In other words, people wouldn't care much about adware stuff, unless everyone was educated, which is obviously unrealistic.

I'm a little suprised Google didn't patent this first, but I suppose they don't have as many inroads into the OS.

Trust, if you're right about it being a defensive move with no intention to use it, I'd say kudos to Microsoft. Google scares me more...
    Eathan Mertz

ABW Ambassador
    It might turn some but I'm sure most prefer the PC, agree with you on that. But I do think people care about adware, especially if they have it, they want to get rid of it and will always choose a clean computer over one with adware. And let's just say MS actually wanted to do this, besides the problems I listed above, it would be years down the road. And as time goes by people become more educated and tech savvy. And they could always choose an older version of Windows, a clean one. Let's say the next Windows had adware, people would stick to Vista, XP etc.

But when you compare the patent:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...DN/20070157227

to

http://desktop.google.com/privacypolicy.html

"The Google Desktop application indexes and stores versions of your files and other computer activity, such as email, chats, and web history. These versions may also be mixed with your Web search results to produce results pages for you that integrate relevant content from your computer and information from the Web"

and they have Google Desktop for the Mac too, so Mac users wouldn't be immune if they have it themselves:

http://desktop.google.com/mac

That's why they got that patent. Google. That's who you have to keep an eye on. We've talked about it before in other areas, such as Google free analytics, Google Desktop, site maps etc. People are letting Google too much into their business and computers. But the more they know about you, the more targetted advertising they can deliver.

Just doing some searching on it and some of this has been talked about years ago:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...sktop_privacy/

Talking about privacy concerns with Google Desktop:

"Google's Desktop represents a privacy disaster just waiting to happen, a rival has warned. David Burns, Copernic CEO, says users should know that the giant ad broker intends to mix public and private queries in the future, leveraging its key moneyspinning product: contextual advertising."

This just yesterday:

"Right now they say they're not selling it, but they're more than likely sharing it with the hundreds, maybe thousands, of companies they work with."

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...1-18174878.htm
    Last edited by Trust; July 17th, 2007 at 07:40 PM.

From that privacy policy: "...Google will securely transmit copies of your indexed files to Google servers, in order to provide the feature."

That is, files from your local drive are sent off to Google. Are they a secret branch of Homeland Security...?
    Eathan Mertz

Quote Originally Posted by simplistechs

BTW how do I put little simlies in my posts?

Doug

http://forum.abestweb.com/smilies.php

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    So UncleScooter, about that Mac...

-rematt
    Right on brother. Timing is often everything, even if it is pure luck.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick - AM Navigator
    I don't actually think that a common user would turn to Mac, since it's quite pricey when comparing to PCs.
    I don't know about that. I bought a PC two years ago that is fast, paid nearly 3 grand for it.
    Yesterday I bought a Mac mini that will be about as fast for $724 (including tax), including a RAM upgrade. The base model is $599.

Two grand will buy you a Mac that runs at warp speed. I needed a computer for a dedicated, specific need so I got the cheap one because it is all I needed. When I replace my main work machine I will get one of the Mac machines that runs circles around what I have now. But I agree with this part of your post.
    In other words, people wouldn't care much about adware stuff, unless everyone was educated, which is obviously unrealistic.
    People are less trusting of M$ than they are of Google, which is kinda scary. I hope this is a defensive move on part of M$.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    They're not going to have this in any future Windows.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Consider the fact they are looking at many revenue models for all of their software....including software as a service, "renting office" etc. Knowing they are pursuing new ways of monetizing their IP I don't really think offering a "Free" OS to users where the cost is entirely supported through advertising is beyond consideration. I agree many users would not stand for this but I also think a surprising number of people might accept the additional invasion in exchange for getting the OS "Free"....consumers seem to be hypnotized at times by the term "Free" even when it comes at considerable cost....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hognose
    I wouldn't be so sure. Consider the fact they are looking at many revenue models for all of their software....including software as a service, "renting office" etc. Knowing they are pursuing new ways of monetizing their IP I don't really think offering a "Free" OS to users where the cost is entirely supported through advertising is beyond consideration. I agree many users would not stand for this but I also think a surprising number of people might accept the additional invasion in exchange for getting the OS "Free"....consumers seem to be hypnotized at times by the term "Free" even when it comes at considerable cost....
    Good point. They might even consider offering free hardware with the ad supported OS installed (free so long as it remains installed). Hardware is so cheap these days that it might not be cost prohibitive. After all, what is owning the eyeballs of a desktop worth?
    Eathan Mertz

They could've just patented it to keep others from doing it.

ABW Ambassador
    Throw another conspiracy theory out there just for fun:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...Google+walmart

Quote from the article at the time:

"Cheap PCs, anyone?

Google will unveil its own low-price personal computer or other device that connects to the Internet.

Sources say Google has been in negotiations with Wal-Mart Stores Inc., among other retailers, to sell a Google PC. The machine would run an operating system created by Google, not Microsoft's Windows, which is one reason it would be so cheap perhaps as little as a couple of hundred dollars...... Source "

Maybe so cheap/free because of installed adware, by Google. Who knows, just can't imagine Windows coming with Adware ever. Computers are pretty cheap nowadays and just a neverending list of problems that would come it.

When they tried to get Claria the PR fallout killed all that:

"A Microsoft staffer, who asked not to be identified, characterized the end of the talks as driven by concerns about a PR fallout that could follow a Claria purchase. That company has, in the past, been associated with spyware."

http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3519521

That would be nothing compared to this. Can you imagine if they ever made such an announcement? The internet blogs, forums, news media (both online and offline) would be lit up. Put a price tag on that kind of PR damage.
    Last edited by Trust; July 17th, 2007 at 11:24 PM.

Almost all Software companies at some point think they can do hardware, and vice versa. Luckily they all seem to fail and cower back to their core business (which is good in my opinion)

I wouldn't be suprised if Google does push hard into some kind of consumer device but they did in fact learn their lesson and recently began using Dell to manufacturer their Google Search appliance (box) used by many companies for internal search capability. I'd be surprised if they end up manufacturing anything themselves, but they could very easily source the build process.

Not sure if anyone commented on the specifics earlier but some microsoft execs have commented recently that they really learned their lesson regarding ant-trust investigations and appear very focused on not doing anything to get themselves in trouble again..could just be coroporate babble though. The comments I saw had the exec further stating they thought Google was approaching the edge where they could start seeing anti-trust investigations. Any sort of appliance which limits consumer choice and leverages an existing monopoly to extend the monopoly into new areas could see significant federal intervention. (Obviously Google Search may not yet a monopoly....but it isn't far off)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast