Frustrating Discrepancies
    I should be grateful for what I have, my momma always told me so. But mostly, I'm frustrated at what I don't.

For the search term "web development leads" FreeQuotesWorld shows up in the #1 spot on MSN and the #3 spot on Yahoo. But after looking for it in Google through the first 28 pages, I got bored and gave up.

Now I understand some differences in the way that search engines rank web sites. I can appreciate some discrepancy. But #1 vs > 280?
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

ABW Ambassador
    You are on page 1 if you search with quotes:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...22&btnG=Search

But most people don't. Does that phrase actually get searched on a lot?

Actually you could have a better Title Tag. The first 4 words are Get Your Project Done.

It's likely the google sandbox. Some say it exists, some say it doesn't. But it's not uncommon for a new site to rank in the other major engines before it hits the big G.

Time heals all... patience grass hopper... good things come to those who wait...

and all that other crap..

Hang in there Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    You are on page 1 if you search with quotes:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...22&btnG=Search

But most people don't. Does that phrase actually get searched on a lot?

Actually you could have a better Title Tag. The first 4 words are Get Your Project Done.
    See, ya didn't have to wait that long. Thanks Trust.

those world in that sequence don't show up till the bottom of the page, where as the #1 spot has it as the page headline, title tag and in the first sentence ...not that surprising to me

I knew it ranked well in quotes. And no, I don't imagine many people search that way. Perhaps just you and me curious to see where FreeQuotesWorld.com ranks.

As for the title tag, I appreciate the suggestion. I'm no SEO guy, but I know better than that. That will be addressed quite promptly!

My frustration isn't that it doesn't rank well in Google. Rather, that's not the bulk of my frustration. I was mainly bothered that there's such a huge discrepancy in where it ranks in Google compared to the other two big players. I haven't looked at the smaller engines yet, but as most of those go with G, I wouldn't mind Google looking at me as favorably as does MSN.

Thanks for the calm words, Master knight01. Your padiwan respects your wisdom!
    Chris Sturgill

Ah, now I remember the title thing. It's not the homepage that ranks well for the search term, it's the actual page for web developers (which is where I prefer for them to land anyway): http://www.freequotesworld.com/affordable-leads.htm. Hey, I'm not as stupid as I thought...

That's the page that ranks well with MSN and Yahoo, but NOTHING on my domain shows up in Google for the specified 28 pages (except, as Trust pointed out, if someone actually searches using the quotes...).
    Chris Sturgill

CB,

I think you've got a clean look here and it might be age factors like trust and knight mentioned, but on the page listed your title is all the way down on line 81 and it's set to <h2> giving it less importance whereas your using the <h1> for navigation...that might be something to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    I think you've got a clean look here and it might be age factors like trust and knight mentioned, but on the page listed your title is all the way down on line 81 and it's set to <h2> giving it less importance whereas your using the <h1> for navigation...that might be something to look at.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. "Get Web Development Leads" - in the top right corner is in <h1> and "Web Development Leads: Verified, Targeted, Guaranteed" is in <h2>. I didn't want to overdo the <h1> tags.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I didn't know Google was prone to be behind other engines in moving new sites to the front of their results. Like everyone else, I'll have to sit it out until Google comes along and ranks me well, but if anyone else has any more free SEO advice, I'd love to hear it (free is one of my favorite prices ).
    Chris Sturgill

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    But after looking for it in Google through the first 28 pages, I got bored and gave up.
    How to find a low-ranked site, quick:

1) Set your G results pages to show 100 listings.
    2) Use the "find in this page" function of the browser to search each page for the domain.

Hit "find," click to next page, hit "find," repeat until you either find it or run out of results to check. G only shows 10 pages at 100 listings/page (1000 listings total), even when they have millions in their databases, so it doesn't take long to see if it actually shows in the viewable SERPs.

It's disheartening to find your page down in the pits, but in a way it's encouraging, because that shows it's at least in there. Of course the next step is to start SEOin' like mad!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    How to find a low-ranked site, quick:

1) Set your G results pages to show 100 listings.
    I had no idea you could do this... Thanks for the tip (I never really bothered to check out the preferences settings).

2) Use the "find in this page" function of the browser to search each page for the domain.
    Naturally this is what I was doing before, but going through 28 pages this way still gets boring.

However, with the preferences set to display 100 listings / page, I found the site listed at the glorious position of 311. I'm sure I can count on a lot of traffic coming my way from that...

It's disheartening to find your page down in the pits, but in a way it's encouraging, because that shows it's at least in there. Of course the next step is to start SEOin' like mad!
    It is that. And frustrating that it does so well in other major SE's but not Google. I certainly have my work count out for me!
    Chris Sturgill

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    For the search term "web development leads" FreeQuotesWorld shows up in the #1 spot on MSN and the #3 spot on Yahoo. But after looking for it in Google through the first 28 pages, I got bored and gave up.
    You can actually check rank for all three SEs pretty easily at googlerankings.com You'll need an API key to use it. Anyway, checking there quickly for that search term you're at #1 on MSN, #3 on Yahoo (just as you said) and #422 on Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    To emphasize this point even further, search Google for 'get your project done' (*without* quotes). You're at #11

Thanks for the link Adam. I didn't know that site existed. Unfortunately, I don't have a Google API.

Though the weight of the keyword "get your project done" did inspire me to change the title text of the main page. Naturally I won't see any changes for a period of time, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks for the advice!
    Chris Sturgill

As an update, a little patience has paid off well. While the site isn't #1 (yet, at least), it IS on the first page now (ranked at #7).

From 250+ to number 7 without changing a whole lot of anything. It would seem plausible to me that G does wait a little while to give pages their full rank.
    Chris Sturgill

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    It's likely the google sandbox. Some say it exists, some say it doesn't. But it's not uncommon for a new site to rank in the other major engines before it hits the big G.

Time heals all... patience grass hopper... good things come to those who wait...

and all that other crap..

Hang in there Chris.
    The sandbox lives!!

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    The sandbox lives!!
    I'm a believer!
    Chris Sturgill

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread