Breaking free from Employer
    Not really sure where to post this so please let me know if its in the wrong place.

I've been away from the forum for a few months. Simply because I've been too busy to have any real invovlement.
    It's a real struggle trying to juggle family life, a job ( With a boss I could do without) and try to find time trying to develop my first affiliate marketing website. I have 3 sites I have ideas for. I have registered the domains and tried to focus on one in particular just to get one finished and launched. However, trying to combine a 60 hour working week and spend some quality time with the family is using most of my energy. Having anything left to develop my site recently has proved dificult. As a consequence I can't make any real progress in my own busniess.
    I don't want to rush it and launch a second rate, incomplete site. But it's taking a whole lot longer than it should.

How did you guys make the break from the shackels of full time employment, but still manage to pay your bills, and maintain a decent lifestyle?

Yours, locked in the horns of a dilema.
    Kind Regards
    Kipnae.

Quote Originally Posted by kipnae
    How did you guys make the break from the shackels of full time employment, but still manage to pay your bills, and maintain a decent lifestyle?
    I started my first Internet business back in 1998. It was called LinguaBooks.com, and it was an online store selling books and language learning software. I was a full-time student in the U.S. back then + worked 20 hours a week at a restaurant (cooking food and waiting on tables). My work day would often start at 6:00 am (to cook breakfasts) and I would have to ride my bicycle (I couldn't afford a car right upon my first arrival to the States) to work from about 5:15 am till 5:55 am. During the day I, obviously, took classes... Had to work on my online business endeavors at nights and during weekends... I loved it. Learned a lot every day, and applied it straight away. With time Langbridge (a translation company) was born. Then -- RussianLegacy.com (an online store for Russian gifts and collectibles). And it really took off in 2001-02 (while I was at Cambridge). That was when I decided that I will not (and neither have a need to) seek employment outside my own e-commerce enterprises.

The path has been different for every one of us. But when you have a determination to "break free", a desire to learn and grow, and a passion in what you're doing, you are doomed to succeed. At least, such is my philosophy; and those people at ABW that "live the dream", live it because of their hard work and a lot of continuous learning and growing.

Geno

Smile
    Thanks for your input Geno. Appreciate it.
    This 'boss' I speak of is actually more than one person. I have a stake in an IT company and this 'boss' is more like a group of shareholders. - who in my opinion don't share the same commitment to the business. I'm also a company director, so in many ways it makes it more difficult than just handing in a notice period.
    However, the longer it continues, the more determined I am to make a success of my own online busniness.

Thanks again.

Kipnae

Sounds complicated. But glad to hear there is determination...

Geno

Actually looking at your story it's not all been plain sailing either. I guess there is no easy ride. Its crucial to have something to strive for, maintain a focus and a have a real passion in what you are doing.

Anyway, philosophy lesson over for today! Have a good one.

Kipnae

One of the nice things about affiliate marketing is that it's not necessary to quit your job and jump straight into the deep water. You can work on your site a half hour each night after the kids are asleep, and sneak in some more time on the weekends. This will give you the ability to learn the tools, experiment a bit, and start an income stream or two.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I think many here feel your pain and frustration.

Fortunately for me, I have a job that allows me to work from home full-time. In the morning and at lunchtime, I usually spend time on my websites. A little time here and there makes me feel like I am actively working on succeeding at this. My hopes are to one day have this "hobby" bring in more income than my regular job. After 1.5 years since I started doing this, I am making some money but nowhere in the same ballpark as my job.

Ofcourse, the downside of working from home is when all three kids are off school for the summer.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Affiliate Marketing is not as easy as the ebooks or the sucessful people suggest. There are workflow, competition, and motivation problems. I suggest getting at least one sucessful site before you realize what those will be for you.

Most people try it and lose money either on Google Adwords or make 2 sales a month and cant live on that. That is honest, but they dont stay here and post that.

Successful niches or programs will get buried with competitors. One of my programs signed up 500 marketers after me becuase I can track their aff id.

If you have a good normal job I would rock at that or try to make it a better environment. Or just save money and dabble in AM to understand it.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i did it nights and weekends and banked all my profits until i had steady aff income coming in and a war chest in the bank in case anything went wrong (and it did).

good luck in your own journey!

Some of the keys are:

1) Figure out what you're going to do for health insurance.
    2) Diversify to reduce income fluctuations. Don't rely on a single merchant, network, industry, promotional method, etc.
    3) Build enough of a stockpile to weather the storms that will come.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Helpful Words of wisdom from you all. Thanks for the encouragement and realistic view points. I'll just keep chipping away at it.
    Talk to you all again soon, I'm sure.
    Regards
    Kipnae

Thumbs up Family first?
    Everyone's family committments are different. Having your spouse/partner on your side and if possible a "shared vision" would really go a long way. Being one in this regard is important beacause sacrafices must be made in the transition period between following your passion, and reality where you still work for some other company to keep finances on track. Close the gap slowly, be patient, and never give up. It can be done.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread