Can't stop Pepperjam spam?
    OK, many folks here know that spam is a pet peeve of mine, but I don't view this one as a "close call."

In the distant past, when I enrolled in the half.com affiliate program at Commission Junction, I used a special email address, which I'll call "half-cj@domainname.com" for purposes of this discussion. Later, I used that same account to enroll in many other CJ affiliate programs. However, I terminated my relationships with all CJ merchants last year.

To my surprise, I have continued to receive emails from PepperJamManagement.com promoting various affiliate programs which they manage, all directed to this "half-cj@domainname.com" address. I found this annoying, but initially I just figured it was a "mistake."

More recently, I realized I was still getting these emails from "Kim" at PepperJamManagement, and I sent a polite reply on June 5, asking "Please remove 'half-cj@domainname.com' from any mailing lists you maintain." Unfortunately, that hasn't worked. I think it's time for me to move beyond JHD ("just hit delete"), as PepperJam clearly does not respect affiliates.

I received a promotional PepperJam spam email from "rocawear" at PepperJamManagement.com (promoting RocaWear.com) on July 13, and today I received another SPAM email from PepperJamManagement.com promoting an Anthony Robbins seminar. Again, these are emails that are being sent to a long-inactive email address, after clear requests for removal.

I tried to visit the PepperJamManagement.com web site just now, but it automatically launched an audio/video presentation, so I closed that window; clearly, these folks Just Don't Get It.

I'll spend some time tomorrow identifying any PepperJam clients whom I may have had any relationship with, and I'll formally end my relationship with those companies. I won't do business with spammers.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Hey Mark,

Not directing this at Pepper Jam but more of an open end statement addressed at all e-mailers.
    Is there a remove / unsubscribe link on that email? Is the primary purpose of that email for advertising or promoting a commercial product or service?

I know that the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 requires a unsubscribe link in every email including the physical address.
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/canspam.shtm

Best,

Internet Cowboy
    You should try Rocawear. It's a good program.
    I have some issues with PJ myself, but I have to say that when I was getting a zillion emails from their AMs, I emailed them and asked for a consolidated contact with them so I didn't get so many emails, and that happened very quickly.
    Do I have some issues with PJ and how they do things? Sure, and I have voiced them to their senior management. But I have to say that their management is responsive to my needs. Maybe I'm special in their eyes, but I doubt it. Regarding affiliate requests and needs, they have been helpful and rational to me.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Pepperjam is Dedicated to Helping Affiliates Make Money
    Mark,

We are certainly not in the business of upsetting affiliates. In fact, we approach affiliates as partners and we are absolutely dedicated to making sure that we provide them with what they need to be financially successful.

You are the first person to ever suggest that we send spam e-mails. In fact, I have the opportunity to watch our AM's prepare newsletters for each of the programs we manage and it is a serious business - they work in small teams and do a great job and I'm extremely proud of them.

Are there times when we send an e-mail to someone who would rather not receive it? I'm sure this is the case, but we have never done so in a manner that was meant to be disrespectful or bothersome.

Note that we do not use the Commission Junction or Linkshare e-mail systems. From our experiences those systems are filled with spammy messages. Instead, we run e-mails from our own internal database system. We attempt to maintain the list and keep it as clean as possible - everyone on the list is welcome to unsubscribe.

I apologize for the confusion in your case.

I will speak with our affiliate management team and make sure you are removed from the list.

However, if you'd be interested in a consolidated list of all programs managed by Pepperjam we'd be happy to provide that to you - we manage programs on all the major affiliate networks and our goal is to help affiliates make money.

Please e-mail robyn @ pepperjammanagement.com for a consolidated list - this goes for any other ABW affiliate who may be reading this post.

We appreciate your candidness and for bringing this to our attention.

Best of luck to you.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    You should try Rocawear. It's a good program.

Do I have some issues with PJ and how they do things? Sure, and I have voiced them to their senior management.
    I think Mark should not work with them no matter what program they are promoting.

So if Angel (ex-onlineshoes AM) found out that uPromise kicks butt in traffic, blah blah. Should he be encouraging other merchants to sign up uPromise?

I do very well in clothing but that is the last thing I will do, Support a Spammer. (Remember the RedTagDeals thread where affiliates and merchants stood together against spammers??)

To PepperJam,
    You are the first person to ever suggest that we send spam e-mails.
    Then UncleScooter is the second one?
    If you search pepper jam on ABW, you will see the spam issues.

Note that we do not use the Commission Junction or Linkshare e-mail systems. From our experiences those systems are filled with spammy messages. Instead, we run e-mails from our own internal database system. We attempt to maintain the list and keep it as clean as possible - everyone on the list is welcome to unsubscribe.
    Is this just a white wash? LS and CJ email system are spammy? Is this the joke of the month on ABW. You would not be here posting if Mark did not report you as spamming. You system is as bad as LS and CJ.

Does senior management oversee what your employees (agents of your company) do? Do they not comply to any spam acts since you have an "internal database system" that is better than any network?

everyone on the list is welcome to unsubscribe
    do you make it easy with an unsubscribe URL or make it almost impossible just for Mark?
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Kris, what I notice is missing from your reply is any explanation of how my "remove request" was ignored? Your promise to remove me now, after I've complained publicly, doesn't negate your earlier failure to remove me when I asked privately and politely.

I'm with Mark on this one. I never requested being added to Pepperjam's email list, yet I get all the emails, too - actually I get two of each email (double entries from CJ and LS?)

Kris says they use their own internal database. In that case, why am I on their list in the first place? As far as I know, I've never been affiliated with any of the programs they manage. They got my email somewhere (CJ and/or LS) and are using it without my consent.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperjam
    I will speak with our affiliate management team and make sure you are removed from the list. // However, if you'd be interested in a consolidated list of all programs managed by Pepperjam we'd be happy to provide that to you - we manage programs on all the major affiliate networks and our goal is to help affiliates make money. // Please e-mail robyn @ pepperjammanagement.com for a consolidated list - this goes for any other ABW affiliate who may be reading this post.
    FYI, Robin did write back to me, indicating that she was removing my email addresses from all their lists, and (quite understandably) refusing to give me the "consolidated list" promised by Kris.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread