To make money now a days do I need to
    buy ad words and not rely on SEO? I am trying to get back in to aff mkting with 3 sites?

Thanks,

Doug

ABW Ambassador
    Do it all. You can make money with one of them but I would learn to do both and don't stop there. There are people that can make it on one source of traffic but it's like hopping around on one leg. You lose that one source and you're going to fall.

ABW Ambassador
    Ditto, what Trust said.
    Note that PPC/CPC is more reliable and steadier than organic traffic

Ok thanks looks like I'll have to do some reading and testing.

Ok thanks looks like I'll have to do some reading and testing. Then hopefully some counting $.

Just remember to spend more time making than counting. Another way of saying "don't spend all your time checking stats, when you could be doing something to increase those stats".
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by simplistechs
    Ok thanks looks like I'll have to do some reading and testing. Then hopefully some counting $.
    Hopefully you'll have to spend more time counting revenue than counting PPC expenses. PPC can be a good way to get started, but there is also more risk involved as well.

The only PPC I'm doing currently is for pages and products that have already been successful on their own. I wasted too much money on PPC ads last year, when I should have just taken the advice I've heard many times on ABW: have patience and focus on content.

I used to think that if I could spend a little on PPC and make a lot of commissions, then I'd be set. Now I just think, if I can find provide some value to my visitors, then the commissions will come in time... and they do.

In fact, I'm not even spending any time on SEO anymore. I just focus on as much helpful information in my articles and blogs, and the search engines seem to find me just fine. Maybe that is SEO these days

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    In fact, I'm not even spending any time on SEO anymore. I just focus on as much helpful information in my articles and blogs, and the search engines seem to find me just fine. Maybe that is SEO these days
    I went to Sears today because they over a small group of computers with free Internet access. Today was the first day I was able to get a computer, usually teens hog them up

Anyway, the sites making money for me look good on that public computer.
    One of my sites looked awful! I have to change that around!

My "newest site" looks great, I have to try to do something similar for the ones that need it and to continue to develop all of them.

I've been working on my blogs. The dinner with my Aunt & Uncle was a shock to me when the nav bars sank. I'm not a "born techie" but I can follow some magazine examples or other instructions. I fixed both my blogs so they appear correctly in IE. Fixing those blogs took a lot of my time, so I am proud of the results and I've been writing a lot of blog entries. Sometimes I'll throw something into the blog as a potential test for a potential market.

I found when I started to blog on topic each of my blogs rose in the ranks of Google ranking. At the moment I'm following a rhythm where I write something original or comment on something relevant and then I'll dedicate an entry (or two or a few) to an affiliate product that might be of interest to my readers.
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 18th, 2007 at 10:20 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

That's a great suggestion - I've been following a similar pattern per your advice, and I think it's a good way to go.

That's a great suggestion - I've been following a similar pattern per your advice, and I think it's a good way to go.
    Be sure to follow this blog entry pattern:

relevant
    relevant
    AFF Product
    maybe another or 2 or 3
    relevant
    relevant

*Some affiliate products will be relevant*
    If you have a blog about computers then displaying and talking about the features you like in a certain desktop or laptop (and don't) will be considered relevant.

If a blog entry is dedicated to a product, it's important that the product is "ushered in" by the type of dialogue from you that your readers are used to reading.
    Make your entry seem like a commentary on the product and readers often will respond with interest -- sometimes they just respond. I have a "blog buddy" who sometimes will suggest other products after looking at the one that I suggested -- good thing Blogger has comment moderation
    I think she sees some of the products that I list as a personal wish list and she tries to trump what I write I just delete her comments before anyone else can read them -- I actually am "online friends" with this person

It also depends on the "personality" of your blog. It's okay to devote a blog to selling items as long as you add some type of value but if you present your blog as commentary on a topic, your readers might be confused if you start doing something totally different.

Once (and I documented it in ABW -- Snib made a funny joke, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket) I put a lot of Easter eggs plus the Russian Faberge eggs one after the other in my blog. I thought it would be okay because it was close to Easter but I had not written as much content as I usually do (I like to write - that's not an obstacle for me) but I did this as a visual thing to enjoy -- one interesting egg after the other [close to 10? ]

The outcome was that a "social group" (I think it was called Blogshares) dumped my blog. Blogshares was a place where a member could "buy and sell" shares of blogs as if they were stocks (I thought they were cool until they dumped me after I had been with them for a couple of years -- that hurt).
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 18th, 2007 at 10:51 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

If you'd like to make sales in your blog, it's important to make comments in other blogs and join something like MyBlogLog. If there is a forum whose members would be interested in the items you sell, then participate every now and then in the forum -- think of ways you can gain traffic.

Comment links may or may not contribute to the "SEO backlinks paradigm" but if your icon leads to your Blogger profile (or equivalent) or to your site/blog, you'd be surprised how many readers might click on the link.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Great suggestions, Rhia!
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Can adsense work in Blogs?

It can, but you need to be careful to not overdo it. And if your sole blog income is Adsense, make sure you're not paying for your traffic! I'm not convinced that Adwords Arbitrage can make a long-term success story...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Adsense can work in some blogs, but not all
    I have adsense making a few dollars a day on one blog, but nothing on several others. It just depends on the type of blog, and you'll just have to experiment to find one that works.

Be sure to blend your adsense color scheme into the look and feel of your site, and play around with positioning. The one that works best for me is placed in the top right corner of each blog post, but not in the side margin.

I used a floating div to achieve this:

Code:
    <div style="float:right;margin:20px;width:250px"> your 250 x 250 google ad goes here </div>
    I also don't display google ads on articles where the products I'm promoting have high payouts. Otherwise I'd be making a buck a click but losing up to $100 in comissions to some other affiliate who paid for the google ad.

I've decided this week to remove google ads from the blogs where I've tried every type of tweaking I can think of but with lowsy results. In that case, I think they may be taking away from the value of the site (based on the lack of interest from readers).

I also don't display google ads on articles where the products I'm promoting have high payouts. Otherwise I'd be making a buck a click but losing up to $100 in comissions to some other affiliate who paid for the google ad.
    Excellent point.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread