Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Long Tail Theory Anyone?
    Does anyone have any tools to determine the best way to build long tail search terms that are actually searched for?

I use Wordtracker now but have really not come up with a good method of developing a library of long tail terms other than to just add locations behind a front end descriptive word like best for example.

Any suggestions are extremely appreciated.

ABW Ambassador
    I have been using the old Overture inventory tool but I am not sure if it is still 100% functional (it was always very slow but now it's really bad). It tells you the yahoo searches performed on a specific term over the past 30 days.

I hope that I am allowed to post the link here - Mods, no mallice intended if not. http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/

CanadianDave

Try HitTail http://www.hittail.com they have a no cost option that will show results for up to 100,00 visits/month. I've used them for a while and found them very useful.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Hittail appears to develop out long tails based on terms people have used generically to find your site. Not sure if I saw that correctly or not.

We are just launching a couple of sites, though, and want to see if there are tools to help prepare appropriate long tail terms and phrases to begin with before we have the data needed for Hittail. Does that make sense?

Thanks for each and every suggestion!!!

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Ya that is the problem I saw with hittail. Only for traffic you already have. Interesting but not proactive. You could tweak a bit for terms that are already working to make them better but...

That Yahoo tool is about gone. And it is pulling from January 2007 I think right now. 6 months old....

I like brainstorming a lot and then go use a tool like wordtracker. Try some of your longer tail ideas and then it will take them longer still.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Rather than relying on any one source, you are far better drawing keywords from a number of non-related sources (eg., Overture, KeywordDiscovery, Wordtracker, Google, Ask, and so on), aggregating the results and then extracting your metrics.

Also, rather than thinking only Long Tail, have a look at this thread over at WmW - http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3239760.htm , particularly Tedster's comments in Post 7.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

HitTail can be very proactive. You simply need to prime the pump with content. Very often, if you have a blog area of your website, the "long page" versions can do this. Why? Because all your posts from the month are combined into one single page, and searchers looking for word combinations that you never expected end up finding your long archive pages. This is one of the most valuable events in the history of a website, and is an event overlooked by most analytics packages, and never noticed by generic content aggregation tools like the keyword inventory tools.

We have a diagram that explains the process here.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Hittail appears to develop out long tails based on terms people have used generically to find your site. Not sure if I saw that correctly or not.

We are just launching a couple of sites, though, and want to see if there are tools to help prepare appropriate long tail terms and phrases to begin with before we have the data needed for Hittail. Does that make sense?

Thanks for each and every suggestion!!!
    I love hittail, but perhaps ppc will help you quickly build a list of fresh long tail keywords that people are actually searching for.

LongTailMiner v0.1 alpha find invisible Long Tail keywords

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Levin
    HitTail can be very proactive. You simply need to prime the pump with content. Very often, if you have a blog area of your website, the "long page" versions can do this. Why? Because all your posts from the month are combined into one single page, and searchers looking for word combinations that you never expected end up finding your long archive pages. here.
    I personally cut stories short with the "more" tag in wordpress on the front page and I robots.txt combined pages so they are not indexed. I recomend this to avoid the duplicate content penalty.

But this is a good dialogue. I think hittail has its merits and niche as people are using it and seem to like it from the active forum you have.

Maybe I am not the niche for this software. Is there a reason to use it if I am not afraid of log files, statistics programs and keyword research? I also often start PPC campaigns to determine keyword popularity for brand new sites while I am tweaking the SEO as the above person mentioned. I can usually have a pretty good idea what is popular in a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    Is there a reason to use it if I am not afraid of log files, statistics programs and keyword research? I also often start PPC campaigns to determine keyword popularity for brand new sites while I am tweaking the SEO as the above person mentioned. I can usually have a pretty good idea what is popular in a week or two.
    Excellent question! It's the most frequent question we get from technical folks, and being one of those technical folks myself, I'm always looking for home-built ways to get the same benefits I get from provided services.

So, can't HitTail just be RegEx'd away? The answer is this:

HitTail keeps a list of keywords that led to your site... forever! We then use that list to filter what we show you forever forward. The result is that you never have to look at the same keyword twice (per source). Once it's recorded, it's recorded forever and only presented once to you through HitTail. This results in an enormous time savings, because the only keyword combinations you ever need to spend your time considering are the absolutely new ones.

So, to get the benefit of HitTail directly from your log files, you would have to keep your log file data forever, and essentially have it loaded into memory, so all your past log file activity works as a filter to all your future log file activity.

And you'd have to do it in a way that let you watch all the hits in real-time, evaluating each keyword combination that gets through the filter to know which ones are already working for you (where you're already coming up well in Google, etc.), and only keeping those where you stand to make significant gains. Those that make it to this end process go into their own separate list, as "Suggestions".

And finally, the suggestions that work for you, you move into a personal to-do list, and check them off as you complete your writing.

Or, you can just throw a line of code into your templates, and have it all done automatically.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread