iPhone & Business e-mail/Exchange
    There have been many discussions on how the iPhone will or will not work with Microsoft Exchange. This can be a critical decision for business owners and executives. While the iPhone is a very cool toy, they need their business email functionality on it as well before loosing the Blackberry or SmartPhone.

The idea behind Microsoft Exchange is to save all messages and folders on the server so that it syncronizes several devices for you. Pre IMAP/Exchange if you sent something from your laptop you would need to BCC yourself to get it on your desktop. With IMAP/Exchange the same message will now show up in the sent items of both your laptop/phone and your desktop.

Now the iPhone supports IMAP and IMAP-s, which many Exchange providers enable. I say many because there are some providers/compaies/IT Departments that do not enable IMAP on Exchange. So you need to check this with your provide/IT department if you plan to switch over.

That said, the iPhone can access corporate e-mail on Exchange Servers where enabled using the 'pull' e-mail method. However the iPhone does not currently support ActiveSync and is, therefore, unable to access centralized calendars, contacts, or device controls. In addition, Synchronization must be initiated by the iPhone device, not by the server. As a result, ability to access new e-mails is not immediate. The device will sync with IMAP every 15 minutes by default.

Quote Originally Posted by 123
    There have been many discussions on how the iPhone will or will not work with Microsoft Exchange. This can be a critical decision for business owners and executives. While the iPhone is a very cool toy, they need their business email functionality on it as well before loosing the Blackberry or SmartPhone.
    I just purchased a phone Sunday, and considered the iphone route. But I really wanted the business functionality, including email, decent web access, 3G + tethering to laptop, etc. The iphone falls well short of this.

In the mobile phone world, there are so many hacks and third party software, and the fact that Apple restricts 3rd party apps on the phone was a dealbreaker for me. For instance, I want to be able to install a ssh client so I can remote manage my web server if I'm on the road (for example, if the server goes down, or some other issue). I couldn't do that with an iphone. I can with my treo.

Iphones don't even allow basic concepts like copy and paste from my understanding.

If you want to have a sweet looking phone with minimal functionality outside of multimedia and web browsing, go with an iphone. If you want a business phone, personally, I don't see how I could do what I need to do with an iphone.

-Dustin

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread