Rangers on a tear
    I grew up in the Fort Worth, 15 minutes from the Texas Rangers Ballpark. I saw Nolan Ryan throw his 6th and 7th no hitters, and Kenny Rogers toss his perfect game (it was Scout night, and I got in for a buck! - I just had to wear my Scout shirt into the stadium which I then promptly took off...).

I'm a fan for life, and am excited to be moving back to Fort Worth at the end of August so I can get back to the ballpark I grew up in.

So how 'bout them Rangers! They've won 18 of their last 28, and 6 of their last 8 series. After all of that, they're only 11 games under .500 and 14.5 out of first...

They're position notwithstanding, I personally feel that they are one true ace away from being real contenders. Not to take anything away from Millwood, but I don't consider him a true ace. I mean, if we could pick up an ace, have Millwood be #2, Kam Loe throw at the #3 spot, Brandon McCarthy throw #4, and let the rest of the guys compete for the fifth spot, that pitching core would look great. And as anyone who has ever followed the Rangers for more than a week knows, it's never the bats that keep us out of contention. It all starts from the mound.

We've got some great young pitchers. I just hope our GM doesn't screw us (again!) by trading them away for bats (Chris Young, come back, please come back!).
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Hey Chris,

What are your thoughts on potentially trading your franchise player, Mark Texeria? I believe if you can get good young pitching for him, it will be worth it. I know the Red Sox are kicking around the idea of trading for him. I think the deal I saw had our two top prospects, SP Clay Bucholz(a nasty lefty) and Jacoby Elssbury(a lighting quick centerfielder out of Oregon.) I am totally against the deal, and am getting nervous that our management team may pull the trigger. You do not trade young pitching prospects in todays market. It isnt fiscally responsible with the bloated payrolls that veterans are recieving these days. To be able to have young guns like Jon papelbon come into the majors and dominate for 500,000 dollars a year for 3 to 4 years is the way to be.

The Rangers will get a top notch pitching prospect in return for Tex, I just hope it isnt ours.
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

I actually emailed TexasRangers.com encouraging them to do whatever they had to to shore up our pitching. 3 of our 4 infielders were out with injuries at one point, and the Rangers went on a tear. Obviously you can't say a team is better without Tex, but the Rangers can win with starting pitching whether or not he's on the roster.

My thoughts? I'd trade any position player on the team for starting pitching. No one's sacred to me, not Tex, Blalock, Kinsler, or even Young (who happens to be one of my favorite Rangers - he does things the old school way!).

That, combined with recent public comments Tex has made about wanting to go somewhere that will win (and publicly stating he would love to play for Baltimore) don't leave me too high on the guy. I don't like guys who are whining about the team while sitting on the DL. Actually, I don't like guys who whine.

So, yeah, I'd pull the deal. I'd even throw in our whole infield for a proven ace who still has 5+ years left on him. The Rangers are close and have some quality young pitchers in the organization. They just need a change of mindset to groom the guys right and build a team that can compete for years. But I like the looks of a rotation that's built in the future around arms like Loe and McCarthy. Bring up Eric Hurley nice and slow, let Volquez get some confidence back, and the team will look vicious to opposing players.

If I'm the GM, I don't care about your position players. I want to know about arms. Our bullpen is good enough that we only need a group of guys who can manage to put together 5 - 6 quality innings every start. If we can keep a team from scoring more than 2 - 3 runs in the opening 5 - 6 innings, we won't lose a lot of ballgames.
    Chris Sturgill

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    I just want to thank you for Eric Gagne. He just made the best bullpen in the league(statistically this year anyways) even better. you got two decent prospects from us. Hopefully this move will help to put the Sox over the top. Only time will tell though.
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

You gotta' admit that the Rangers came out ahead on this one. Now I'm not talking necessarily about the trade (though if Gabbard continues to throw well, I think we win outright).

No one wanted to take a chance on Gagne at the beginning of the year. But we signed him to a minimum contract laden with incentives. I don't know exactly how much we ended up paying him, but to turn around and sell a guy that you bought that cheap for some quality prospects is a great ROI.

I'll pull for the Sox this postseason. They're a good team with a decent shot at taking it all. Hopefully in a year or two, I'll be able to pull for the Rangers in the postseason (something I've been saying for far too long...).
    Chris Sturgill

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread