I need help with a question that has come up about data feeds. I am waiting for the script to be ready for the new CandlePeople product catalog...and possibly using a few others, but I found this on a website selling software that converts the datafeed into HTML pages WITHOUT a database:

"At most major search engine sites, the frequency of keywords in your page contents will play a major role in determining ranking in results of keyword searches.

Most search engines can't index database contents. If your site's content is delivered dynamically from a live database relatively little of your site will be indexed. Searches that should have helped users find your page may pass your site right by, since your content was effectively invisible to the search engine."

Is this really happening when you use a CGI script and PHP/MySQL to work with datafeeds?
    I don't know if I should get a different script to try datafeeds, or buy this site's software...that doesn't work off of the live datafeed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night)

ABW Ambassador
    FYI -

When you download our feed and when you get the scripts that are coming up in just a couple of weeks, the HTML pages will be STATIC, or not dynamic. And they will be optimized for the search engines, but also customizable for your own needs.

As far as your question goes, some CGI/PHP scripts are NOT search engine friendly. Some are. Ask your vendor to identify if the URLs they use are search engine friendly.

Andrew

Andrew Edmond
    CandlePeople Affiliate Manager
    http://www.candlepeople.com

Thanks Andrew! I knew I was super excited about your datafeeds [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]. By the way, I am going to impliment your site suggestions today...but make a few other changes that was recommended to me by other ABW members.

Here's to a great partnership with CandlePeople [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night)

Andrew,
    Are you creating the data feed to be storefronts for your affiliates, how customizable will it be? Are you all doing everything for the users, or are you just sending them the data file? Just curious as to how you are doing it.

ABW Ambassador
    Our datafeed is accessible via FTP when you can download files as you'd like or you can choose the option to receive the feed via email where we mail you one large file everytime the datafeed is updated.

We will also be releasing a script written in PERL that can be run on windows and unix boxes that will be very customizable so that you can create a very large candle website on your own server that will be extremely customizable, but will start our nice nonetheless.

It should be released in two weeks!

Andrew Edmond
    CandlePeople Affiliate Manager
    http://www.candlepeople.com

DragonDame, All of my datafeed sites are 100% dynamic and they rank very well with Goggle. I have not noticed any problems getting search engines to pick them up.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com, OverStock.com, TigerDirect and more.....

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread