Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    [2002] IRC Chat Server for ABW
    All --

I know this has been mentioned in the past, having an IRC chat room for ABW users. It would be a blast to hang out and chat in "real time" and I think would add even more fun to the ABW community.

I talked to Haiko about this and he said that there were problems with people logging in as other people and lying and cheating and all sorts of other nastiness.

I think that with a couple of strong moderators that could enforce some basic rules in the channel, as well as only to require registered nicknames (something common among all IRC servers these days), it would prevent posing as others.

I've set up a temporary channel at IRC.DAL.net:

server: irc.dal.net
    room: #abestweb

I have a registered nickname "CandlePeople" so that anybody logging into the room can know that it really is me. I can show you how to register your nick name as well, and how to verify the person you are talking to is the person you think they are.

As well I've registered the channel under my nickname, and if Haiko likes this idea, we can recruit somemore moderators to keep the channel civilized 24 hours a day.

Let me know your thoughts.

Andrew Edmond
    CandlePeople Affiliate Manager
    http://www.candlepeople.com

ABW Ambassador
    For those who don't have it http://www.mirc.com
    and its free even after the 30 days.
    Chattin now

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

[This message was edited by TrustNo1 on December 27, 2002 at 02:07 AM.]

I will hop on there I think a chat would be awesome a quicker way to get to know everyone.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

ABW Ambassador
    Hey this is going great! We had give people show up at 3am last night and talk for several hours. The goal is to get 20 or 30 people hanging out in chat full time and we'd get a LOT of business done!

Join us now!

server: irc.dal.net

Download mIRC or your favorite chat client and come real time chat with other ABW members [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Andrew Edmond

Is anyone in there right now? Do not see anyone.

John Solamito
    www.datecam.com
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

ABW Ambassador
    DAL.net seems to be having a LOT of problems these days, today it seems I can't connect to a single server, and when I do it's split in ten different networks. DAL.net seems toast as an option for us.

I think it would be best to move to irc.beyondirc.net, channel #abestweb. This is a superior server system.

So, once again:

irc server: irc.beyondirc.net

Download mIRC today to start in on the chat!

Andrew

Andrew Edmond

Great IDEA.

Better use EFNet. That's what I prefer.
    It's the biggest and most popular IRC-Network(exceeding Ircnet and Dalnet).

I spent a few years ago hours and hours on IRC.

If you want to build a real ABW Chatroom on IRC do following.

Create a channel on an IRC Network setup as +I (invitation only)

Get somebody with IRC Bot experience and have him run the IRC channel with his bots to control who gets in and who doesn't

Link the ABW User DB to the Bot User DB, to allow ABW users to invite themself with their ABW Username and ABW Password.

Publish the Channel Info (Channel Name, IRC Network, Bot Name and Syntax for invitation) in a Forum with access for ABW members only.

That does not prevent somebody from using a nick different from its ABW handle, but it limits the access to ABW Members.

As always on IRC. People watch. A "Who is" with details and IP Address helps. Not to talk about the "chat pattern". People check twice, if it's serious and also most active chatters know, if the person with a known IRC handle is the person typing, or not (god bless humanity hehe).

A closed channel helps, because you know, whoever is bullshitting around is an ABW Member or uses the Login Credentials of an ABW Member.

The Idea is great.
    Haiko, I would proceed with this, beause it might eliminates some of the "useless", "hi there, hello, somebody out there, stats are down NOW" topics and posts. It also ads value to the ABW Trademark itself.
    Not to talk abot the opportunity for direct and real time communication between affilates , merchants and program providers.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

[This message was edited by Carsten, Shop-Links on December 28, 2002 at 12:58 AM.]

[This message was edited by Carsten, Shop-Links on December 28, 2002 at 01:01 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    yawn... efnet is the suck these days...

How about a secure SSL network.. if you're serious about "doing business"

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I am reviewing the IRC platform as well as another alternative ... the OFFICIAL ABW chat will be selected by next week.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko -

My only advice is to choose a network that is:

1) Stable - EFNet and DALnet are not stable these days, and both have shoddy services (ChanServ, NickServ). BeyondIRC has been around for seven years and is low load and incredibly stable, plus it has highly mature nickserv and chanserv services.

2) Widely available - most full time chatters do not want to chat on a proprietary java or web client. They are difficult to use, low on power features, and crash consistently. The widespread use of stable versions of mIRC and Polaris and XChat makes it almost a defacto chat platform.

3) Secure - channel and nickname services on a well administered network allow for easy behavior control for channel operators. No other software platform other than IRCd/Services provides the richness of features for behavior control.

4) Capacity - IRC has capacity for large audiences, well over 500 users in a channel no problem at all, but as DALnet and EFNet have extremely high capacity servers, with extremely high loads, a IRC network such as BeyondIRC have high capacity with very low load, providing for as much capacity as is needed, and a quite of bit of speed to boot.

5) Operators - the BeyondIRC operators are easily accessible. If there is any behavior problems outside the scope of normal channel management, the BeyondIRC operators are much more available to help with G and K lines as well as more "aggressive" behavior management. EFNet and DALNet "major" networks have very unsympathetic ears for new channel operators having problems with errant users.

6) Best of Both Worlds - It's easy to provide a Java Chat client to those that want it to talk to the BeyondIRC network, I can help you choose the Java client for this and set it up for you to cut and paste onto your site. And those that want to use XChat, IRC-II, *****X and mIRC will have the option to do so.

As well, I volunteer to help administer the channel from 10am to 6pm as well as most evenings to handle any problems that arise. I'm an experienced IRC admin and know how to deal with near every problem that might arise.

Let me know your thoughts,

Andrew Edmond

Haiko would you be interested in looking at the communication system we built for datecam? People can chat but also use video and sound without installing anything or configuring anything video streams even on a 56k. We use IRC for our chat and the sound and video we built. I think a communication system like this would take ABW to the next level.

John Solamito
    www.datecam.com
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

great idea!

I am interested in your questions about moderator.

what's the moderators job?

I need more input and I might be able to help.

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by datecam.com:
    I will hop on there I think a chat would be awesome a quicker way to get to know everyone.

John Solamito
    http://www.datecam.com
    http://www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW What's up [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I Got an error when i tried to sign in your program

-------------------
    Warning: fopen("./webmaster_confirmation.txt", "r") - No such file or directory in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/datedollars/signup.php on line 381

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/datedollars/signup.php on line 383

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/datedollars/signup.php on line 385

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/datedollars/signup.php on line 383

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/datedollars/signup.php on line 385

-----------------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nova:
    great idea!

I am interested in your questions about moderator.

what's the moderators job?

I need more input and I might be able to help.

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such as:
    Kick or Kick/Ban Users who violate the chat room rules.

Spaming Channel with Ads. Use offensive Language. Harass other Members. Attack other Member in the chat (technical, not verbal [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]).

Help Members to get into the channel, if they have problems.

stuff like that.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner

Andrew.

I agree with you about access via IRC Software.
    Web access is a nice to have, but you also should be able to access the chatroom(s) via a Chat Client like mIRC.

Important is, that the IRC Network has servers all over the world or Services wich allow access from People from all over the World. ABW is a quite international community [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

Another Idea:
    Its harder to realize, but gives more flexebility.
    A own Irc Server where the ABW Members have to login to with their ABW Login credentials first.

That will keep unwanted folks out and allows to create multiple public channels and temporary private channels. Users can use the "list" features to see what ABW channels are currently open.

Only one Channel in a huge IRCNetwork can be a problem when too much people are online and discuss multiple topics at the same time.

It also allows merchants to have their own channels, if they want (like their forum). Charge them extra $xxx per year for that feature and the own irc server will pay for itself.

just a thought...

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner

ABW Ambassador
    I think it would be best to keep it off the public IRC networks (even beyondwhatever)...

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for showing me that error Baccillus they where uprading the scripts on the web servers last nigth everything looks good now though I do not see any errors on the system. Let me know of you see this again.

John Solamito
    www.datecam.com
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> people logging in as other people <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean, like, "prismatic"?

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'm going to bump an 8 year old thread (found on google).

I take it this isn't an active method of chat anymore? I'm still old school when it comes to communication and still rank IRC as a #1 method, it seems the kids favour twitter, facebook, msn, etc.

Anyone care to make this active again?

ABW Ambassador
    Probably not, the kids now like to hang out at - http://www.abestweb.com/chat.php Snib is probably in there sleeping.

I know when this thread first started there wasn't a chat room and one was added later here.
    Last edited by Trust; July 10th, 2010 at 06:34 PM.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland View Post
    I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'm going to bump an 8 year old thread (found on google).

I take it this isn't an active method of chat anymore? I'm still old school when it comes to communication and still rank IRC as a #1 method, it seems the kids favour twitter, facebook, msn, etc.
    I'm old school and not so much a kid and I use Social Media to communicate, and pretty much every method except IRC.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    (btw, I'm smiling thinking of these folks getting the email message that there is a reply in this thread, some haven't been here in quite a while )
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

LOL Haiko missed one when he merged my usernames
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    LOL Haiko missed one when he merged my usernames
    I thought that looked familiar....

If you would like me to merge those posts into your current account, drop me a PM.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast