Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Gander Mountain -relationship with- Cabela's
    I love the Gander Mountain stores - good stuff and wonderful brick and mortar shopping! As far as I know, Gander Mountain doesn't have an affiliate program - anyone know differently?

Cabela's is cool too. At Performics I think.

Saw this press release today:
    http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=23119
    Gander Mountain wins marketing rights in legal wrangle with Cabela’s

Seems Cabela's bought the rights to the Gander name for marketing years ago and just now, something got settled in court that frees Gander Mountain to move ahead (cabela's lost the case, but plans to appeal) with all kinds of marketing stuff - online and direct mail and catalogs and all.

Release text:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gander Mountain wins marketing rights in legal wrangle with Cabela’s

The United States District Court of Minnesota has granted Gander Mountain Co. the rights to the Gander Mountain name and certain trademarks in direct marketing that have been contested since Cabela’s Inc. bought Gander Mountain’s catalog business in 1996. As a result, Gander plans to push ahead into catalog and online sales.

Gander Mountain, an outdoor sports and recreation retailer, comes out on top in the latest ruling, but Cabela’s might not be finished with its legal options. Cabela’s, No. 80 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, believes the ruling is contrary to the agreement that was entered into by Cabela’s and Gander Mountain in 1996 when Cabela’s bought Gander Mountain’s catalog division and acquired the rights to Gander Mountain’s trademarks in direct marketing. Cabela’s is currently “reviewing the ruling and discussing its alternatives with legal counsel,” the company says.

One alternative is to appeal the ruling. “While Cabela’s and its legal counsel are disappointed in the ruling, Cabela’s remains optimistic regarding any further litigation in this matter,” the company says. Cabela’s is a multi-channel retailer also serving the outdoor recreation market.

Gander Mountain intends to pursue a similar strategy, says Mark Baker, Gander Mountain president and CEO. “Gander Mountain was the first major catalog company in our industry,” Baker says. “We now have the freedom to regain that position, and with our upcoming entry into online selling, we have significant new opportunities to leverage the Gander Mountain brand.” He expects the company’s retail store total to reach 115 in 23 states by the end of the year.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't know Gander Mountain was handcuffed in certain ways by Cabelas purchased rights - and I'm still not sure I'm understanding it correctly...

If Gander Mountain doesn't now have an aff program and soon gets into it, I'd think a lot of affiliates would like to see it happen... anyone agree?

Any OPMs salivating over growing that baby?

Or does Gander already have an affiliate program and I've forgotten it or something?

ABW Ambassador
    I was just reading that IR email. It doesn't look like they sell anything online.

http://www.gandermountain.com/index.asp

It doesn't look like they sell anything online yet.

:-)

they have this honey maple pork jerky at gander mountain that i love, especially for breakfast - smells like pancakes syrup and tastes like bacon. add a cup of joe, put my feet in a boat, slap a slab of honey maple oink on my tongue and i'm ready to fish my happy butt off.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    they have this honey maple pork jerky at gander mountain that i love, especially for breakfast - smells like pancakes syrup and tastes like bacon. add a cup of joe, put my feet in a boat, slap a slab of honey maple oink on my tongue and i'm ready to fish my happy butt off.
    LOL Donuts your gifted in writing compelling sales copy.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Internet Cowboy
    I sure wish Gander Mountain would land on a network that doesn't shove every parasite in the world in their program.
    Both Basspro and Cabela's are so full of parasites that neither one of them are really worth a damn.
    Thanks for the info Donuts. That gives me something to look forward to.

Have you been to the Gander Mountain site? Last I was there, not only was it not e-commerce, but I think it was pretty crappy.... I'll go look now. Hopefully, it will still be crappy, so I don't waste the remainder of the morning reading about fishing, since I can't go out myself... (bad right hand)....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Yup. It still sucks
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread