Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Is .com or .org better? (plus another question)
    I'm thinking of trying to affiliate market with a domain of my very own, but I have two questions.

I was looking around here, and .com/.org might effect search position.. well some said yes, more seemed to say no, lol.. but my main question is, which do you think would be more trusted?

Currently, my plan is to make an "educational" site, in a health area, and it would direct people to the merchant's site if they decide they need the merchant's service. So, I was thinking someone might be more willing to be educated by and trust a .org. Though do I need to be like an organization to be a .org? LOL

Second question. Designing the website itself. I do have experience doing that, making personal websites and a blog. I read on here, doing a site in PHP is better, because it makes it harder to copy? Should I try to learn that? Or for now, not worry, and stick to designing how I know how to design, which is using Dreamweaver?

Thanks for any and all answers!

Would you trust a .org site over a .com? I might initially, but 5 seconds on the site will tell me if that is warranted or not. And no, you don't need to be an organization - there's absolutely no checks or restrictions governing the registration of .org domains.

As for learning PHP, I'm a huge advocate of the language. That said, it takes some time learning to do it (much less learning to do it well). You'll have to factor in what your time is worth and how much of it would be required to learn the language well enough that you could develop sites that would make you money.

My suggestion? Start learning PHP by dedicating a bit of time each day to working through online tutorials. But don't let that education keep you from doing what you need to to make money. Build your sites how you're comfortable while expanding your knowledge base. That way you're securing yourself for the future (dynamic sites driven by PHP) while taking care of the present.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

ABW Ambassador
    Would you trust a .org site over a .com? I might initially, but 5 seconds on the site will tell me if that is warranted or not.
    True, my goal would be to make it warranted! Hopefully.

Ah, and that's good advice. Go forward with what I know to do, while trying to learn PHP slowly along the way.

Thanks, that's good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    I I read on here, doing a site in PHP is better, because it makes it harder to copy? Should I try to learn that? Or for now, not worry, and stick to designing how I know how to design, which is using Dreamweaver?
    I think the advantage to PHP is that the webmaster can make sites on the fly; it speeds things up and once the webmaster knows PHP and MySQL he/she can create databases. PHP is important to know for some CMS (content management systems) such as Joomla.

I like Dreamweaver

I'll learn PHP & MySQL some time along the way...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    That does make PHP sound important!

I think at the moment, for my own sanity, I'll focus on trying to learn about SEO and making the website how I know how to with dreamweaver, LOL.

Then as mentioned, try to learn PHP.

Edit: Although, I'm guessing there wouldn't be a program like Dreamweaver, that programs the site for you, in PHP?

I think you can do PHP in Dreamweaver but you need to know how.

I have a book entitled Core PHP Programming but it's a bit dull.

Your local library most likely has PHP books and if not, such a book can be inter-library loaned.

So either buy a book or get one from the library and start on a small project.

Aren't there some PHP scripts in Hot SCripts?

Start with something like shuffling cards/images -- something like that would ease you into the topic.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

With all of my respect towards those that use DreamWeaver and other programs that "[program] the site for you", I must say that the power of PHP is that it gives you control. Absolute control. On the fly.

PHP is a server side language that spits code out to the browser, which the browser then interprets. So a simple PHP command such as
    Code:
    echo "hello world";
    would send the string "hello world" to the browser which the browser would then print to the screen.

Using that, you can spit out custom information to the browser within a set display template. If you look at my site (freequotesworld.com) you'll see that all the pages look the same. No way did I code each of those pages separately. I built the look once and then change the specific content that goes into defined areas.

That's part of the real power of PHP. Combine that with the ability to have that content driven by a database, and you can see that there's is absolutely no way a program could create those pages for you.

Now, there are editors that will autocomplete function calls, but that's about as close as you're going to get (unless you get into Cake PHP or RoR, but we'll save discussions on those guys for another day and another thread).

My DreamWeaver can get a site up for you quickly. But you're giving up a lot in return. Use it while you're learning the ins and outs of PHP, but I don't see you using it a lot once you're comfortable with PHP.
    Chris Sturgill

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that .com are for businesses and .org are for orginazations, like my local ski club, church, the Red Cross. Often used for non profit organizations, at least what I see.

Hope that helps.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

If you're serious about learning PHP, get used to the PHP.net website (the official website of the PHP project). In fact, they have a pretty decent tutorial on their website I would recommend you work through (http://www.php.net/tut.php). I takes awhile to get used to how they do things, but once you do (and you ought to!) the site moves pretty quick.

If you have any specific questions about it, you can feel free to PM me or send me an email (chris [at] freequotesworld.com).
    Chris Sturgill

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I may be wrong, but my understanding is that .com are for businesses and .org are for orginazations, like my local ski club, church, the Red Cross. Often used for non profit organizations, at least what I see.
    Often, but not always. OpenOffice.org is a decent example of a project that, while not commercial, is backed by commercial dollars. There are no specific guidelines governing the use of the .org TLD (that is, unlike .edu or .gov, there are no checks or balances in place - anyone is free to register a .org domain and do what they want with it).

Taken from Google (keyword search ".org definition")
    Short for .organization. Originally designated for non-profit firms and any other organizations that did not fit under the .com or .net extension, any individual or business may now register a .org domain name.
    Your sentiment however strengthens the argument that .org is generally viewed to be a less biased source of information. Which was part of the original question.
    Chris Sturgill

ABW Ambassador
    Rhia7 -> Wow, shuffling cards/images? That is beyond my current abilities, LOL.
    No way did I code each of those pages separately. I built the look once and then change the specific content that goes into defined areas.
    Ahh.. I follow you now! I had made up a website, and instead of doing frames, just made up a lot of different pages, same look, different content. It was a pain in the butt to edit! So I see how PHP would be valuable in that regard!

Thanks cbsturg.

Think I'll stick with what I know as you mentioned, while trying to learn PHP, then hopefully update a profitable site with PHP later on! LOL (Seeing your next post, or maybe I could try looking into PHP now, while I continue to play with the idea of what to make the website, or heck, design it how I know, and if I'm catching on to PHP well, then redo do it in PHP before going live, double thanks!)

7-days -> Thanks for the input.

Is .com or .org better?
    Just do a simple test:

Type: www . whatever.

on your browser, and see were you wind up.

99% of the time you will end up at some: whatever.com

So do your own test.

ABW Ambassador
    Hmm, that's an interesting take Mr. Sal.

A new newbie question.

Domain names, are these two the same or different?

information-about-widgets
    informationaboutwidgets

Like, if you had the 2nd name, could you tell your server to display it the 1st way, or they are two completely different ones? And I'm thinking the first might get someone's interest more, since it's easy to read? LOL

At least according to godaddy though, the phrase I currently want for a domain name, is available in both formats! Not that I'd sign up with godaddy either, that's a later question.

This page shows you how you can "shuffle cards" in PHP:

http://www.php-scripts.com/php_diary/012100.php3
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Domain names, are these two the same or different?

information-about-widgets
    informationaboutwidgets
    The domains are different and informationaboutwidgets will most likely rank higher in the SEs.

I like hyphens to because they're easier to read but "informationaboutwidgets" is seen by the spiders as the more direct domain.

Hyphens are not recommended for SEO purposes. Use only one hyphen if you decide to use one (don't use 2 hyphens).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Okay, thank you! It looks like if I do go with this, I'll be able to have one of the big keywords in the domain name. Always a plus, maybe? LOL

But making the spiders happy, is a bigger plus. Can you make google in the organic searches show it as InformationAboutWidgets, or naw? I might be getting silly now, there always is the title or page name too.

IMO hyphen domains are fine from an SEO standpoint. (maybe even a slight benefit).

But not from a branding standpoint. People ask you your website address, you mention a few dashes/hyphens, will they remember? Plus multiple dashes look spammy to many.

If you have big plans for a site, best to buy the basic domain, the hyphen domain, .net, .org, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    IMO hyphen domains are fine from an SEO standpoint. (maybe even a slight benefit).
    Let's discuss. Suppose you have:
    beautifuljennifer.com and beautiful-jennifer.com

beautifuljennifer will rank above beautiful-jennifer

In addition the words beautiful and jennifer will each be seen/ranked alone by the spiders.
    So beautiful will not only be seen within beautiful-jennifer, it will be ranked on its own against all the "beautiful" sites out there.

Simcat, what do you consider the benefit to be?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    If you have big plans for a site, best to buy the basic domain, the hyphen domain, .net, .org, etc.
    I just checked, and it seems the person or people with a name I think would be great, didn't do that!

Example:
    widgetsinfo and widgetsinformation are taken, but widgets-info and widgets-information aren't taken.

Although, if I do find myself profitable, I might want a domain I could grab both versions of. The joys of being a newbie, so much to learn, but lucky I found this forum so I can learn!

ABW Ambassador
    This is going deeper than I expected, but again, shows how wonderful the people here are!
    In addition the words beautiful and jennifer will each be seen/ranked alone by the spiders.
    In my last post, I mentioned I could have a domain like: widgets-info

Would that be better, in the regard that, the phrase widgetsinfo has almost no one searching for it, while different keywords sites have said the widgets in question for me have daily searches of; 2000+, 1500+, 3800+, and 550+. Shows how accurate they can be! LOL

Or doesn't really matter, since I'll be having the keyword on the website itself?

Look at how people who give you free links (hey it could happen...) might link to you.

keyword-keyword.com will be likely linked like:
    keyword-keyword or :
    keyword keyword (think anchor text)

then the alternative:
    keywordkeyword
    and you hope the SE gets it right...

therapistfinder.com
    therapist-finder.com or..

penisland.net
    pen-island.net or ..
    powergenitalia.com
    power-gen-italia.com

These are ridiculous examples and I'm not pushing for hyphen domains, but IMO it's just not realistic to think that a non hyphen domain is a magic bullet SEO-wise.

Well, Simcat, I'm glad you like hyphens
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=92109

I was talking to someone else on another forum who said that the way the SEs spider the domain that keywordkeyword would trump keyword-keyword

I personally chose 2 domains each with a hyphen because I thought the words were easier to read but spiders see the hyphen as a break that separates the words. I have a domain with two keywords together so I'll have to get that up so I can compare.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Wink
    Well, I haven't reg'd a hyphen name in quite a while, and tend to be moving away from them. But my best site is still a hyphen!

Still think domain names in general are overated.

................(speaking as someone owning no quality domain names)

Talking
    This program will build a php site for you and you can customize the site to look like you want it to. http://www.pricetapestry.com/

It works very well. You just load a feed - or as many feeds as you want - to your site. Go to the admin page for the program. Tell it to register the feed or feeds that you want it to use and you have the entire feed built into php pages automatically. All of the pages are built on demand as they are requested.

It uses a mysql database on your site. All you do is create a blank mysql database with cpanel on your site.

Tell Price Tapestry the name of the database - your user name - and your password for the database and it will even built all of the tables and etc into the database for you.

It is all hosted on your own site and the programmer that designed the program offers the best support of anyone I've ever worked with.

If you have a question about anything about the program you will receive an answer or solution to your question right away.

There is a forum on his site that already has answers to just about any information you might need but if you can't find the answer there - he will send you an answer by e-mail right away.

Ever question I've ever asked him via e-mail was always answered within 10 to 15 minutes at the most.

I can put out a 50,000 item datafeed in about 15 minutes with this program.

I use Front Page to work with it in my computer and to load the feeds to the site.

All I do to work with the php pages in FP is change the ext from php to htm.

I do whatever changes I want to the page(s) and then change the ext from htm back to php and load to the site.

If you want an answer to a well designed php program to build your sites - this is the best I've ever found for the price. I paid 110.00 dollars for it.

You can use it on as many sites as you want without any more money to be paid.

You buy it - you own it to do anything that you want to do with it on as many sites as you want to use it on.

You Dreamweaver users can use it with DW just like I use it with FP.

I have both DW and FP but I use FP because I find it easier to work with than DW.

I host my sites on Host Gator and have never had any problems with the php script running there at all.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; July 19th, 2007 at 09:46 AM.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Rhia7 -> Oh, I see your problem there, in that other thread. I was looking at the domain names that interest me again, and the one I like most that is three words, is actually taken on .com. Godaddy said it wasn't. Weird, but they website has absolutely nothing to do with what I'd be trying to sell. So doubt I should be worried there! (And the site doesn't even come up in searches) Plus the .org has the hyphen and non-hyphen version free.

simcat -> Thanks for the reply!

Think I'm going to go without a hyphen for now (get the hyphen later if site goes well), of course I could change my mind! But, google results will show the page title, so I'd get the easy to read there, and while the one big searched keyword will be stuck together with the other two words, doesn't matter, since that's what SEO is for, right? Something I still need to read more about, LOL.

BurgerBoy -> Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for that! I'll remember it, but for now think I'd like to see if I could learn PHP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast