Red face Tutorials confusing me - support question
    I have been over and over and over the web-Procreate WM tutorial.
    I still haven't been able to create a 3-tier setup.

I am not about to buy WM until I get this all figured out and doing what everyone seems to be able to get it to do. (note: trying to work with Sierra Trading post feed)

I know once I get it right, it will all fall into place and I'll just throw my hands in the air and go "DUH!"

I've also noticed that there haven't been a lot of postings here of late - at least not what I'd expect to see. IS WM still active with updates, support and the like?

Welcome to ABW GreatGranny! WM is active although you may find more information on their site than here. When you open WM click on the HELP tab at the top and you'll have links to their site. It might help to take it in steps, too, try a page first, then add features and when you are comfortable at that level, try the 3-tier. Biggest obstacles I have encountered are:
    making sure the field names agree with the database you are using and setting up the template for what you want to do.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Once you figure out WM and have your templates that work you tend not to come back here.

Just run the program once a week and your done.

I've got it creating index pages and detail pages beautifully.
    Problem is - the index page repeats the same category and link directly to a product rather than a sub category that I then want to take you to a page filled with item details. I'd like to have more than one item on a page - but right now, I just want to get an index page with all the categories linked to a page of sub categories that takes you to a product.

Sure would be nice if someone came up with some php snippets that could dynamically create pages from an imported MySQL DB and grab the category pages, to the sub category pages and then to the products. I've sort of already got that but can only link to pages of products....... I suppose I could just create in index from that. Though I like the webmerge Idea - I don't like the idea of having to upload all those pages once a week.

OK-now that I've been frustrated enough, I'm back......
    I have the index page linking to sub category pages - but I must be doing something wrong in the templates.

I get an index page that is duplicating the category names and links to a sub-cat page that has only one sub cat on it, and then links to only one product.

I can put them online and post a link since I'm only generating the trial version number of 20 pages. (or can I post a link????)

Be sure to sort your spreadsheet by CATEGORY and by any SUBCATEGORY. WM needs them in order so they can process all items in a particular CAT before moving on to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by billbam
    Be sure to sort your spreadsheet by CATEGORY and by any SUBCATEGORY. WM needs them in order so they can process all items in a particular CAT before moving on to the next.
    I have the categories and sub-categories setup in the feed, yes. You can see what it's doing here. I'm sure the problem is in my WM tags in the templates. the detail page is perfect except that there is only one item perpage.

Try sorting your data-feed file by the categories you want to use on that index page. Then re-run WM.

Just a guess, but it looks like your template is okay.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by buy_online
    Try sorting your data-feed file by the categories you want to use on that index page. Then re-run WM.

Just a guess, but it looks like your template is okay.

Fred
    I did sort by category and secondly by sub-category. I put up the results at the same location as noted above. Still not right.
    I want a list of ALL the categories on the first page - but not duplicated - and then I want it to link to the subcategories, which in turn link to a page of products in the sub-category and not just one product. I'm about ready to trash the whole idea and not spend money to purchase WM. It's really frustrating.

I use the template format from Frank's tutorial (link about) and never had a problem. Your might check your code against those templates to see if they vary greatly.

I'm on my way! I'll post back tomorrow what happens - time now to stop for the day.

Bill-
    That worked great! I incorporated Frank's templates into my own and came up with a pretty decent setup. Still needs more tweaking - The problem WAS my WM tags! Use the link above and see for yourself. I didn't really change the settings files - but I wasn't using the WM indexlabel tags and that's (I guess) why the categories were duplicating.

Frank is a great guy, I'm glad his solution worked for you.

Fred

It did - pretty much. Too bad all the affiliate program don't use exactly the same format for the feeds. Now, I need to find that Performics thread I saw a few weeks ago to get their templates. THANKS AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGranny
    It did - pretty much. Too bad all the affiliate program don't use exactly the same format for the feeds. Now, I need to find that Performics thread I saw a few weeks ago to get their templates. THANKS AGAIN!
    Why not just rename the colums in the other datafeeds to match your WM tags that you already have?

I am planning on doing just that. I renamed the ones in the STP feed to suit me for getting WM working..... but since the majority of my feeds come from CJ, I think I'm going to go with their format.

The comment was just that it would make life easier for all of us that use feeds if all the merchants, no matter which affiliate program, used the same format. Would certainly have saved me from having 4 different cgi processing scripts in my site.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread