U.S. retailers, reeling from a lackluster holiday season that is forecast to be the weakest in more than 30 years

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Hey Ssanf, they may actually be right this year, but have you noticed that every year for the last fifteen or so, you can find at least one article spousing doom and gloom for retailers?

It's one of my pet peeves, I guess, but you can count on it every year, some newspaper forevasts an awful Xmas shoppping season, and about a week into January, they always say, "Hey, whaddya know, we made more money than ever."....

This year is the first that I can remember in who knows how long where I actually agree that retail sales may be down a little.

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    It's one of my pet peeves, I guess, but you can count on it every year, some newspaper forevasts an awful Xmas shoppping season, and about a week into January, they always say, "Hey, whaddya know, we made more money than ever."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, my favorite pet peeve is every summer when we go for more than 2 days in a row without rain, they start with the "water shortage imminent" reports. I figure as the population grows and they continue to try and make the existing water system meet the needs, that we'll start getting those reports when it doesn't rain for an hour. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's one of my pet peeves, I guess, but you can count on it every year, some newspaper forevasts an awful Xmas shoppping season, and about a week into January, they always say, "Hey, whaddya know, we made more money than ever.".... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, retailers are the biggest doom & gloomers on Earth!

That's how come I know to ignore it/disregard it/dispute it (or a combination of all 3) when the doom & gloom bull is written here in the form of posts! I, too, have seen those articles for years and years. And seen them proven wrong year after year, too!

Of course the Wall St. Journal was carrying on as usual this year. Then yesterday (Christmas Eve) I read, slipped into one paragraph of an article..."online sales and catalog sales have not been added into the total figures for retail sales yet."

Oh gee! Surprise, surprise! I'd say another record year is on the way to the record books after all, once all the money is counted!

I hate panic and doom & gloom myself. I have absolutely no use for such self-defeating nonsense!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hoo Bah and Humbug. We just had our best ever Month on Mondera....ever... very much thanks to our ever growing and active Partners on LinkShare. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Maybe the ease of buying online (especially) for relatives not in the same location has started putting the squeeze on the offline retail world at Christmas, I know I but ALL my gifts online for my family who live scattered all over the world.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    "Lets sell some rocks.....!!"

Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

All they care about is that you read their stories and if the "doom [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] gloom" headline does it, why not use it in a recurring fashion?! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Vlad Lysik
    E-mail: affiliates@webceo.com
    http://www.webceo.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Doom & Gloom headlines are almost comically overused. The same Furniture chain store here has a going out of business (ball to the wall) sale every 3 months for 10 years. Went passed the guys house yesterday nite and he must have had the 3 acre lakefront castle decorated with 20,000 lights...and he's jewish ..go figure!

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

I hope I have as much doom and gloom in January as I did in December. A record month, plus 3 times the sales I did last December. I could use a little more doom and gloom of this kind.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread