Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Put those iPhones away - here comes Google phones?
    link not working - so article link deleted. Trust bails me out!!
    Last edited by Alan Hamilton; July 20th, 2007 at 04:53 PM.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    I don't get anything, get Please enter a valid symbol.

ABW Ambassador
    Could Google kill the cell phone industry?

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747799-7.html

Video talking about it:

http://www.forbes.com/video/?video=f...nload071807_ms

thanks Trust - I got it, but see that you have it already, so no need to post it again. You show off!! LOL
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    "As soon as the phone is released, people will be tossing their iPhones, Razrs and every other cell phone into the nearest river. Why pay all that money for a phone when you can have the same kind of service for free?"

Go Google!

I'd love to see the big telecommunication companies slapped. We can all worry about what big bad Goog is gonna do to us next year.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    "I'd love to see the big telecommunication companies slapped."

I've sure they have a lot of pull in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    "As soon as the phone is released, people will be tossing their iPhones, Razrs and every other cell phone into the nearest river. Why pay all that money for a phone when you can have the same kind of service for free?"

Go Google!

I'd love to see the big telecommunication companies slapped. We can all worry about what big bad Goog is gonna do to us next year.

I hear ya sister!!! IF, and I say "IF" Google is successful in getting Spectrum, they will not get it until 2009, and analysts estimate it will take another year or two for them to develop and implement their wireless plan. Of course, I think G is in the process of doing that as we speak - but the analysts are never wrong I guess?? hehe

Competition in this market from Google should definitely force price competition, which is always good for consumers (that'd be us), so yep, I say bring on the gPhone. I can hear AT & T, Verizon et all sharpening their s, and getting a change of underwear ready.

I will let Google advertise to me all day for a free phone...especially if the phone is as cool as Skype, as referenced in the article.

Do you think the user agreement would include a clause that lets an automated service monitor your call like they do your email? I mean, just to serve up more relevant ads, of course, nothing malicious...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    Do you think the user agreement would include a clause that lets an automated service monitor your call like they do your email? I mean, just to serve up more relevant ads, of course, nothing malicious...
    Possibly...Google IS in the advertising biz. They would definitely be monitoring all activities on the phone but conversations would be a stretch.

Yep, they are in the advertising business, as are all the carriers, so I have the same concerns about AT&T, Verizon et al. But that's the world we live in, so price competition and user choice are an upside.

I'd imagine by 2010 Google may put in a bid to own planet earth; probably why they're getting us used to the brand - "Google Earth"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    I'd imagine by 2010 Google may put in a bid to own planet earth; probably why they're getting us used to the brand - "Google Earth"!!
    Google and Walmart. In 2010 they'll merge. Either Waloogle or Goomart.

At least shopping will be easy. No more having to remeber URL's, no more wondering which store has the best deal, no more bookmarks, all of our mail will be Gmail, the Internet will have 1 URL.

ABW Ambassador

Google & McDonalds - McGoogle

GooMart gets my vote...

But, what caught my eye was the title to this thread - 'cause I've only had my iPhone for three days.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

GooZon when they buy verizon

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    GooMart gets my vote...

But, what caught my eye was the title to this thread - 'cause I've only had my iPhone for three days.
    No problem Beachy, you have a couple years of enjoyment ahead with your iPhone before the G-men step in!!

Sprint and Google - Sproogle

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I think the billions involved in buying spectrum means this plan is larger than most of us would guess at this point.

My view on this...

These devices are all converging towards internet connectivity:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    cable tv
    satellite tv
    internet tv
    mobile (car, boat) tv

home radio
    office radio
    satellite radio (siri, xm)
    mobile / car radio
    hd radio

home phones
    cell phones
    voip / internet phones

cable internet access
    dsl internet access
    community wi-fi access
    mobile (cell, iphone, laptop) cellular and wi-fi internet access

newspaper printing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bands they're interested in are among the longer ranges, higher speeds and are those that penetrate walls as well.

I think G will not only compete with cell phone carriers, but as all these technologies converge, they will also become our internet access providers, cable/satellite tv providers, radio broadcasting networks, (digital) newspaper networks and much more.

When I was younger, we thought of ABC, CBS and NBC as the "networks" - they collected ad revenues from advertisers by providing the connectivity / broadcast of television data streams. (G is getting into tv ad distribution, what if they could broadcast tv nationwide wirelessly...)

Radio stations and nationwide aggregated radio networks do the same thing, for radio ad revenue. (G has the ability today to distribute radio ads, what if they could broadcast radio nationwide wirelessly...)

AT&T Network, same deal, for phones, but we didn't have ads then for phones really - once they become interactive devices, they will of course have ads (think Jetsons, that's where cell phones are headed - visual as well as audible). (G has the ability today to distribute mobile ads, what if they could broadcast mobile connectivity and communications nationwide wirelessly...)

Newspaper even became syndicated, aggregated networks - there's a few large companies that own most of the newspapers in our country today. (G has the ability today to distribute print newspaper ads and magazine ads are coming - already today, G has expanded their Print program to 225 participating newspapers and can now reach 50 percent of US newspaper circulation. What if they could not only provide ads to all the existing newspaper outlets, but through Google news, become one themselves essentially too, and do it nationwide wirelessly...)

It's not news, but G has been buying hardware for distributed internet connectivity - these trucks can be moved all around the country that act as Internet hubs and gateways... (just like NBC had stations with transmitters and receivers when I was a kid)

Near G's headquarters, they offer free wi-fi access to everyone nearby:
    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/...tain-view.html

They're running experiments in several other cities as we speak to do the same thing.

So...

I see G moving to become the modern iteration of a "Network" - but they will carry tv, radio, internet access, newspapers, cell phones and everything else that's available via a wireless internet connection. They'll be a Wireless Internet Mega Network capable of providing digital connectivity to all these converging technologies. Also capable of enabling advertisers to participate in that stream in many ways, like today's adwords and adsense, print ads, radio ads and much more.

We as consumers will get free or low cost access to all kinds of multimedia connectivity, that we can use with lots of different devices, and that we can access from just about anywhere.

The era of crapware and malware will end. Since it undermines G's advertisers efforts - and since, as a network, they will own the connectivity - they can monitor who is doing what. Today, we all know if you get banned from adwords or adsense, you're screwed. If you're spamming in the future, I am predicting G will take away your ability to connect or transmit beyond a few hops. If all consumers like the free Google wi-fi, those who deliver information to those folks (us, as marketers, had better play nice!) through the Google network will be subject to their rules. Today, internet service providers (ISPs) don't do any policing - because they have no vested interest really. G, on the other hand, as your ISP, needs their advertisers to not be overrun with BHO theftware - because it erodes their advertisers' ad spend - which is the WHOLE point of being a network. Just as NBC doesn't let anyone advertise on their tv network, G won't let just anyone do whatever they want on the G Internet Network.

This vision is something I think of as Google Net.

Before eveyone gets all panicky, it's also perfectly clear to everyone today that G isn't the only one heading this direction - apple partnering with a cell provider is another wireless mega network being born (but they're not yet monetizers like G, so they are far behind).

If my vision of this scares you, I'll remind you that right now, phishing and identity theft is the fastest growing crime in america, both in terms of number of people affected and total dollars being robbed. Your ISP could give a crap, your gov't is completely ineffective at stopping it, but know that the coming "Internet Access Networks" have a vested interest in making it stop.

In the future, when you have several Internet Networks to choose from - their ads will be saying these things...
    -free!
    -widest coverage map
    -fastest connectivity
    -cleanest network, remarkable policing technology means we guarantee no infections from malware and no spam will be received

So there you have it. It's a totally retro look at the world people - if you know me, you'll apreciate that part of my view. It is... the return of the Network. Technology fractured the early networks, in the early days, as new technologies emerged. And coming soon, technology will ironically be the same force that reunites these things back into single Networks - but this time, there's just no wires connected to your house. And Google will be among the first Net Networks, but certainly won't be alone.

Disclaimers:
    I'm not a lawyer, I'm much sexier than that.
    I own G stock (lots of it and I'm buying more).
    I neither love or hate G - they're a company, I use their services, which I think are top-notch.

Let the paranoia begin...

Donuts, nicely written and organized job of sharing your vision of the future. I agree that no one need be paranoid about the changes that have been in the works at G and other "future" networks for longer than we know.

Your vision is in sync with some of the more forward thinking analysts and industry pundits, including Jim Kramer, Fred Hager, Rick Currin, Byte, and others who envision this kind of re-structuring / evolution / rebirth of the networks of old in a new wireless world. It only makes good sense that this would be the logical progression of merging technologies.

I especially like your vision of how much more efficiently adware / crap ware and undesired marketing methods can be monitored, policed and terminated. That will be a huge benefit to ethical advertisers, the consumer, and the networks that participate. This is nothing more than a repeat of the historical cycles that leave in their wake the re-emergence of business, commerce, technology and life.

For those who look deeper than the "surface" sound bites that are normally the cause of most paranoia, your vision is an excellent look / explanation into what is happening and what is on tap. The bright sides are many and will benefit every consumer in the form of more competitive media pricing, better - cleaner advertising, and NEW avenues of opportunity for all of us in the marketing and business world.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... You have a wonderful gift for organizing and delivering your thoughts in written words dude. Thanks for a great Saturday mind expander!

http and a telephoto
    I'm impressed that I read Donuts post AND understood it, thanks to recent educating and listening to Mr Kramer

Thanks for that indepth look at what is most likely the future.

(hopes to invest in G soon myself)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    I've a feeling that the emergence of a huge G network will not be such a straightforward exercise as it appears to be at the moment. Government will most certainly have a problem with such a dominant position, despite all the immediate benefits that it might bring to industries and customers. And the main reason for that will be the likelihood of abuse, which will cause even more hardship to everyone (in the long run) than we are experiencing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick - AM Navigator
    I've a feeling that the emergence of a huge G network will not be such a straightforward exercise as it appears to be at the moment. Government will most certainly have a problem with such a dominant position, despite all the immediate benefits that it might bring to industries and customers. And the main reason for that will be the likelihood of abuse, which will cause even more hardship to everyone (in the long run) than we are experiencing today.
    I assume by "the likelihood of abuse" you mention, that you are referring to abuse by Google, or another network doing the same thing? Not sure that "likelihood" the word, but certainly the possibility should not be overlooked. In fact, you can count on it that the FTC has been eyeing Google closely, and the Spectrum issue is catching their interest as well.

I've mentioned before in other threads that Google will face challenges from the FTC in the near future, and personally I have no doubt that this will happen. That is one of the hurdles giants face as they expand, and G is not far off from having their day.

They have thus far been so successful that they are now in a position in which they can gain what some may see as an unfair advantage in the areas in which they are expanding their horizons. At some point, "want to be" competitors will cry antitrust and monopoly to the FTC and the circus will begin.

History bears out that when a company becomes a major force in their niche, they are closely scrutinized, taken to task by the FTC and (sometimes)subsequently divested for what the FTC envisions as a "leveling" of the playing field.

In recent times, Microsoft faced antitrust and monopoly hurdles from the FTC over the windows OS and explorer technologies, and before that, AT&T was divested in the 80's when the FTC felt that they had an inequitable stranglehold on tele-communications and feared that their interest in emerging pc technologies might pose an unfair advantage to (then) emerging telecommunications and pc interests.

Eventually, that led to other carriers being allowed to use (rent at minimal cost) the worldwide cable lines / networks installed and paid for by AT&T to establish competing local and long distance carriers. Hence Sprint, Qwest, Pacific Bell, and many other local and long distance "networks" emerged. The "pin that you could hear drop" clarity of calls that Sprint used to advertise was not coming over Sprint lines at all, but on space they had on AT & T lines that they were given access to by divestiture.

The "benefit" to consumers in that divestiture is still argued by those who recall the convenience of having every aspect of their telecommunications needs, such as installations, billing, maintenance, customer service, support, repair, hardware and software served by a single source with one phone call.

Though it is not inevitable that abuse is always committed by growth and market dominant forces like Google, it is something that people perceive is wrong or dangerous and so they fear it. What we fear we want to knock down - so I have little doubt that G is in for challenges from this point forward.

Google knows this FAR better than any of us, and I'm sure they have been planning for the eventuality as they expand into an even more encompassing media force in the future. The question here will be whether G's expansion unfairly blocks or restrains other emerging networks from fair competition. That may not be the case. Just as ABC and the other networks compete for market share and revenue, the internet networks of the future will have more than one network in the game.

Google is the best at what they presently do, so I give credit where it is due and wait to see how it all unfolds as progress moves forward.

ABW Ambassador
    This isn't going anywhere unless the FCC agrees to all four of Google's recommendations:

"But for Google to participate, there's a catch. It's requiring the FCC to adopt all four of its licensing recommendations, no matter who ultimately wins the bidding process."

So will have to see if that happens first. The other carriers I'm sure will have their say yet.

Techcrunch has some updates to this story:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/07/22...ten-to-google/

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Techcrunch has some updates to this story:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/07/22...ten-to-google/ Scott

Good read Scott. Seems some respondents don't understand the capitalist intent behind the acquisition. Guess maybe they think the ad revenues aren't necessary. I smiled when I read this one. - Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast