ABW Ambassador
    Commissions Still Locked After Monthly Payment
    I have two merchants included in my Locked Pending Commissions that pay based on consumed hotel stays. All of the transactions that are still Locked were consumed in June. Additionally, while Hyatt pays based on consumed stays, they also pay $3 per lead for signups to their frequent guest program which do not involve a stay. All of those leads generated in June are still locked.

I understand commissions can be Extended if the merchant hasn't paid CJ, but why would these transactions still be Locked and not paid out in July?

It usually indicates the merchant hasn't paid CJ, and thus CJ hasn't paid you.

Seems that a lot of merchants now no longer extend, and they just get locked, and then they pay previous months first, and then pay new leads and it's a lot like when you get behind in your own bills.

I have several merchants that do this every single month. Instead of using the extended they just lock them (or let them get locked I am not sure) and if they can't pay CJ only asks them to pay whatever is past due from the previous month. Seems that CJ extends credit to merchants at the affiliates expense.

If you ask CJ about it they will reply "We haven't gotten paid by the merchant, and so you haven't gotten paid."

I have replied, "Well why haven't you suspended the merchant until they full pay?"

CJ non-reply, "We allow merchants some leeway."

Basically, a transaction no longer has to say "extended" to be extended. A "locked" transaction no longer means you will ACTUALLY get paid for the transaction.

I love the time a merchant didn't pay for three months, then reversed all the transactions (everyones, not just mine) and went deactivated. A few months later they were reactivated and continued on like nothing happened. If you asked them about getting paid for previous sales they would just ignore you.

You get these kind of things on every network.

Since February, after CJ makes its payment, there has been a balance of $110.74 in my locked status. It traces back to one merchant that still hasn't paid December and January commissions. CJ deactived them in the system in February and I thought that I had removed all their links from my site.

Last month I discovered one or two stragglers. And guess what? When you clicked on the links, they still went to the merchant's site. I wrote an email to CJ, blasting them for sending the traffic through because the merchant was still receiving the benefit of the traffic. If I missed a couple of links, I'm sure there are affiliates out there that didn't even remove their links. Soon after the screen that says the merchant is no longer a member of CJ started coming up instead.

I'm guessing that I'll never get the $110.74. CJ let the traffic through for too long, so there is no incentive for the merchant to pay up. The really sad part about it is that over the past year, the merchant would get behind and CJ would deactivate them ... only to reactivate a couple of weeks later when the merchant paid up. I would get so ticked at CJ for letting other merchants get behind on payments without deactivating, but didn't do the same for this merchant. Well, I was wrong.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for your explanation, nakedgamer. Last night, I sent an email to one of those merchants asking why we weren't paid. I just received this response:
    There were some inconsistencies in how CJ was accounting for commissions versus how we were internally. This has since been resolved and we have issued commission payments to CJ to pay out necessary commissions to the affiliates.
    Hmmm, the commission procedure for this merchant is pretty cut and dry so this sounds like spin to me.

It's not fair to affiliates that CJ isn't upfront with us in their interface about merchants who haven't paid. Rather than mixing transactions that are in payment arrears with other Locked and Extended transactions, CJ needs to have a another report indicating which transactions are being held due to non-payment from the merchant.

I have some like that which date back almost two years (for a merchant which is now inactive). It means that CJ hasn't received full payment. Also, sometimes it could just mean that the merchant wasn't 100% paid in full at the cutoff time. They could have paid the entire balance before the cutoff, went negative right before the cutoff, then deposited more money in escrow, but if they were negative when the cutoff happened, none of their affiliates get paid that month.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Question
    Ergh.. this just happned to me. Was happy that cj paid early... BUT approx 20% of my commissions is still in "locked," and all of it from one merchant. Should I assume they haven't paid cj yet because cj paid 2 days early... or should I say something now? (And to whom? The merchant or cj?)

Quote Originally Posted by onecrazymom
    Ergh.. this just happned to me. Was happy that cj paid early... BUT approx 20% of my commissions is still in "locked," and all of it from one merchant. Should I assume they haven't paid cj yet because cj paid 2 days early... or should I say something now? (And to whom? The merchant or cj?)
    The merchant has to have the money in several days before check processing begins (which is around 16-17 of the month) so CJ really isn't early. Sounds like the merchants didn't pay CJ this month or didn't get it in on time. Count on getting paid next month, unless the merchants are going down, and then don't count on getting paid at all.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread