Is this ok to do or is it frowned on?
    Hi,
    I would like to put a clause in our affiliate programs t&c, I just wanted to get a few thoughts before I did.

I have no problem with people advertising their affiliate links via PPC, HOWEVER, I DO have a problem with people advertising for the PPC terms "Company Name" (the name of the company that they are promoting) and "companyname.com". I figure that if someone is typing the company name into a search engine, then either the company has already done the advertising for the customer to know about the company in the first place (and the company shouldn't have to pay for the advertising + the affiliate), and if the customer knows about the company through the affiliate, than the affiliate cookie is already on their computer.

Anyway, regardless of reasons, I don't want people advertising our program like that, and was just wondering if it sounds normal for me to have a clause like that in the t&c.

Thanks in advance.
    George

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I've seen a lot of companies in the affilliate networks forbidding affiliates to bid on their name. So.... it doesn't sound unusual at all to me.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

A lot of merchants prohibit bidding on the company name or URL for the same reasons that you've stated. You may want to do a search here for some recent threads about the pros and cons and possible pitfalls of competitors bidding on your company name.

If you do decide to make a change make sure that you provide your affiliates with ample notification and enough time to adjust their PPC campaigns.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Here is some more information on views on Trademark bidding http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=92114
    KK

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Collier
    Here is some more information on views on Trademark bidding http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=92114
    Thanks! I had actually just found that and finished reading it, very helpful. Thanks everyone!
    George

Internet Cowboy
    George,
    You are right on in this assessment. Not only is someone who bids purely on your trademark not doing you any favors, but if an affiliate sent them to you yesterday and the customer enters your name in a search and another affiliate is bidding your trademark against your wishes it is a problem for the original referring affiliate.

Don't confuse this with a customer seeking a coupon for your site or seeking reviews on your site. To enter merchant name coupon or merchant name review should be allowed if you want customers to find your coupons and not have your competitors take those spots with their own coupons. You should not allow, nor will it happen due to the nature of how it works, a coupon affiliate to direct link to you. They have to send the customer to their site to get the code first.

Affiliates promoting your site, your brand, your coupons and/or your products are very different from an affiliate who pretends to be you and only poaches your trademark(s).

There has been much talk about this lately and many affiliate managers are costing their clients/companies sales by confusing the two and a few affiliate managers costing their clients/companies even more by allowing affiliates to infringe on the pure trademarks, sometimes even against the merchant's publicly stated rules.

Best of luck.

ABW Ambassador
    "Anyway, regardless of reasons, I don't want people advertising our program like that, and was just wondering if it sounds normal for me to have a clause like that in the t&c."

Yes, it's great to have clearly spelled out terms. As to whether is ok, it's up to each merchant and there are good reasons for and against, depends on your situation and there are past threads about it like the one linked too.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread