Style to appeal to most/all browser defaults?
    What should the webmaster keep in mind when designing a site [i.e. in CSS and overall structure of the web page/site] that will be viewed across many types of browser defaults/screen resolutions (including PDA browsers/mobile phones)?

Is minimalist the way to go?

Any tutorial suggestions? I read this but I am not sure how to incorporate those directions into the CSS/structural designs I usually use for my sites. I tried the suggestions straight with one of my pages (substituting his CSS but trying to keeep the overall structure) but it killed the overall design of my page -- so is there a really important element? What elements should the webmaster pick and choose in order for the page to look good across all browsers/resolutions?
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 23rd, 2007 at 10:53 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

That tutorial deals with resetting styles. Basically, every browser has its own internal stylesheet that it applies to all pages. It makes buttons look the way they do, makes lists and stuff look they way they do, etc... It is also part of the reason pages look slightly different on all browsers. So, hardcore coders will "zero out" all of the default styles by defining every single element in their CSS file. It is a perfectionist way to do it, because you have to make sure to redefine every single element otherwise, as you've seen, your design goes all screwy.

I'm not totally sure about designing for mobile platforms, but here is a tutorial to assign different stylesheets for desktops and cell phones, which should give you flixibility: http://dev.mobi/node/403
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Thanks Jason.

You always have the helpful answers
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

If your HTML and CSS are standards compliant the pages should look the same no matter what browser a person is using on the dektop anyway. I can view my sites on my Treo phone but it is a scrolling nightmare due to the images. There are different browsers available depending on the OS of the phone/device. Mobile browsers in general can read XHTML/XML but I don't know of a site with more specifics. MindSprinter's link looks like a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    I can view my sites on my Treo phone but it is a scrolling nightmare due to the images.
    Images you upload, images that are part of your design, product link images?
    All of them?

Btw, your experience with your sites & your Treo phone is interesting.
    I guess this stresses the ongoing importance of xhtml?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

The site was not in XHTML although I am starting to get it there now. I haven't tried viewing one of the XHTML pages yet. The Treo phone uses Palm OS or mine does anyway, I have read that the newer ones use a MS OS (do not want), There are a few different browsers available for the Palm OS though and I would think that Palm PDAs can view sites the same way. With a 2x2" screen all sites look different if there are images, but it's a touchscreen so you can navigate with a stylus or the scrollbars.

I didn't want to hijack your thread about CSS to a phone discussion, just mentioned it because there are devices out there for quite some time already that are using the net 'as is' and standards compliance makes things work better across all platforms/browsers.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread