Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Just a thought... Interface Problems vs. Tracking
    If CJ's interface is down as much as it is how can anyone be terribly comfortable with their backend reporting?

If I can not log in how do I know their merchants are not having the same issue and then posibly not reporting after the fact. But, then, I suppose lots of this game are based on some degree of integrity. Oh my!!!

ABW Ambassador
    great point .. and it is a concern .. whenever the control panel is down, despite the assurances to the contrary, this thought comes. comforting though is that the CJ links still works .. so the issue is likely to be only with reporting ..

The online interface and tracking are very distinct systems, and problems with one seldom seldom affects the other. The biggest exception I can think of would be if there are DNS or connectivity problems (which has happened, although not very recently and not very frequently). The tracking portion is really rather simple, seldom changed, and quite reliable (excluding external dependencies like cookies being deleted).

Think of it like the engine (tracking) and DVD player (interface) in your car. If your DVD player (interface) quits working, the car engine (tracking) still runs. If you have engine (tracking) problems, the DVD player (interface) still works. It's pretty rare that you have a problem that will affect both, unless it's an electrical problem. Another analogy from that is that there are many different problems that "look" like engine (tracking) problems, but are really problems are with a different component. Unless you have a good understanding of the way things work together, it's easy to blame a problem on the engine when the fault lies elsewhere.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I'm no big fan of cj (for their ethics), but I still agree with Coley - and they have a heavy vested interest in maintaining tracking at all times - they make tons from their cut as well. Everyone has interface issues from time to time and it seems to me that CJ doesn't have an outrageously disproportionate amount of them given their user base on both ends. They're bad at communicating the issues, both before, during and after that fact, but if you're prone to worry about something with your CJ merchants, I'd say tracking reliability should be way down your list.

Tracking interference is another issue.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Could you explain tracking interference please?

The issue, I am assuming, does not exist if someone clicks from our site to the merchant and makes their purchase right then. The problem arises if they leave and I depend on the cookie to track where they came from, right?

Let me try to ask this right:

Say we have "Evil Site" and it requires a software download that is suspect. Then there is legitimate shopper. And finally my site.

Shopper goes to my site and sees a deal he wants to take advantage of at one of my merchant partner sites. He/she clicks on the link, reviews the merchant site and decides to sleep on it.

Little do I know nor does Shopper remember that six months ago shopper downloaded software from the Evil Site but never went back to that site to use it again.

Tomorrow the shopper goes back to the merchant I sent him to and makes his purchase. I assume I will get credit because of the promised cookie.

Does the evil site have a way of hijacking that transaction by overwriting the cookie? If so isn't there some way to prevent that?

I am reading all I can in these forums and see the disdain for sites like E Bates and others and I am trying to figure out exactly what they do and why it can not be stopped in laymen's terms since I am not a tech person. I have a tech staff to write our code and design our sites.

Thanks for any help.

If the software follows the "Code of Conduct" rules, an immediate sale should be properly credited to you but you are correct that a return to the site tomorrow will be intercepted by the software. Keep in mind that the worst parasites don't follow the rules.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread