Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quantcast?
    This is a pretty cool tool to check your site stats and audience info:

http://www.quantcast.com/

Demographics seem a little skewed when I run my site - but overall good info to analyze your traffic and demographics.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I played around with that last year a bit. One of my clients that tried it found it to be complete horse puckey, and then another thought it was spot on. So who knows....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Well I just looked up my main company website. The info on it did not match our click tracks data at all. Not even remotely.

Then I looked at sites listed under Similar Audience. I found a few of my main competitors there. When I clicked on them and looked at the data on my site there it ranged all over the place from competitor to competitor.

The more I look at the info I am not sure what it tells me. But I question its accuracy.

Does anyone know if they actually mine data from site users and how can they?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Rexanne,

From what I understand they're basically doing the same thing as HitWise and ComScore, which is using ISP logs to measure data. I think their dataset is much smaller so the results are not as accurate, but the price can't be beat.

oziman

How Quantcast works
    Hi Rexanne,

At Quantcast, we use a unique hybrid methodology that combines panel and census data with direct measurement. You can both improve and control your site's Quantcast profile for free by tagging it for direct measurement.

Go to Quantcast.com and click on "Learn More." If you join the free program and add the pixels to your pages, we will immediately begin measuring your actual traffic. The demographic and lifestyle inferences will also improve over time.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
    -Krista

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Krista, it's fascinating to me to see the gender/ethnic makeup of my site visitors. Apparently one of my sites is very popular with Hispanic women although it targets a general, family-friendly audience with the expectation that women would comprise the bulk of my traffic. I'm curious how you derive information about ethnicity and how accurate that data is (especially in light of the fact that the traffic numbers for that site are way off).

Thanks for your interest in ABW and the affiliate marketers who hang out here!

panel data only goes so far
    Hi Rhea,

Panel data can be helpful directionally. But even a large panel like ours (1.5 million Internet users) can tend to miss on highly targeted, regional or niche sites with a very focused user-base.

That's why we created a new, converged model that includes direct measurement. As more and more Web sites are created, no single panel can fully capture the fragmentation of the overall Web audience.

Also note that the Quantcast indexes are not percentages. They show how popular you are with a given demographic group where 100 is the Internet average. So you may well be indexing high on Hispanic audience reach relative to the Hispanic audience reach of other sites.

Hope that helps,
    -Krista

Interesting. Thanks for dropping by, Krista
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Thanks for the info, Krista.

Just to make sure I understand what the numbers mean, my rank for Hispanic visitors is 175. Do I understand correctly that number indicates my traffic is comprised of 75% more Hispanics than the average web site listed in Quantcast, or am I hopelessly confused? (If so please explain.)

Hi Krista!

Thanks for the information about your program and for stopping by to explain things.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

okay, I ran my site, and it was scary-close to accurate. but i ran some competitors who I know are much larger and it wasn't even close...
    Very interesting, but I won't be changing anything to my site because of it.

Alexa is closer as far as %, and compete.com also seems more accurate.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread