Combatting Error 404
    Several of my vendors return an Error 404 when my customer goes from my sites to the vendor's - usually this is because the sought item is out of stock. I am considering having my script take the client to the vendor's home/search page instead of returning a 404 error. I, of course, would want to tie my affiliate tag to this transfer (and I'm not sure how to do that) but before I figure how to do that - is it a good idea anyway???

Charles

ABW Ambassador
    Never heard of this happening. When an item is out-of-stock, the screen will typically either say so or re-direct to their home page. Please give a couple of examples of the merchant and network where this has happened (getting a 404).

Oopps ... I misspoke
    My problem more correctly is that:

1: I have an item included within Google's or Yahoo's index

2: When a client clicks on that link, they come to my site and should see my page

3: Unfortunately the vendor has 'sold out' and removed that item from their datafeed - I show their latest datafeed so don't show the missing item

4: Which means my program is the one generating the 'Error 404' not the vendors (this is 'good' because it makes my sending the client to the 'home page' a bit easier)

ABW Ambassador
    That's completely different than what you first said.

If the customer is clicking on a link to your site and you want that click to redirect to the merchant through an affiliate link, that's against the rules as it doesn't include an affirmative click on an affiliate link.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread