Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Toll Free Phone Tracking
    Does SAS have a phone tracking code system that's easy to add to any of their merchants' shopping cart systems? That is to say, since every SAS merchant obviously already must integrate the SAS tracking system with their own shopping system, does SAS offer a quick and easy phone tracking option to them if they'd like it? Is it generally something that would take the skills of a programmer on the merchant side to set up, or can SAS' technical staff do most or all of the work?

I am currently working with one of my merchant partners on SAS, attempting to convince him to set up phone tracking. He has only a few employees and no affiliate manager, does not want to spend much money on enhancements, and judging by how static this merchant's website is, there's probably not a webmaster or sysadmin type in house. What can SAS itself do for merchants like this? The toll free number is not on every page of the site; it just shows up during the ordering process. But it's enough of a leak (IMHO anyway -- being that the product is complicated and probably often evokes some questions from prospective buyers) that I think I'm losing sales from it as an affiliate.

SAS has the code the merchant needs and merchant needs to ask for it and plug it into their site. I don't believe it is time consuming or complicated so shouldn't be a problem.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

ShareASale's solution does not integrate into the merchants' shopping carts, but rather there is a piece of code offered - one that a merchant may insert on every page where they mention ther phone number. The code will make a "promo code" (or a merchant may rename it into a "tracking code", or anything else) appear in front of all customers. The code will either say 22 (which tells the phone sales team that a sale has not been referred by an affiliate), or display the numerical affiliate ID of the affiliate that referred the customer.

Geno

Mellie posted while I was typing my text...

ShareASale.com's solution for phone tracking is actually quite simple. It's just a small JavaScript. You have to train customer service reps to ask for the code, and then someone must manually enter the phone sales.

If you're technically adept, just look at the HTML source on CrazyForBargains.com, one of the merchants who has phone tracking implemented, (and search for "shareasale" to find the JavaScript) and you'll see how simple the code is. There are some variable definitions (including the default used if there is no affiliate cookie) right above the external JavaScript reference.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

From an affiliate's point of view - there is absolutely nothing wrong with finding an 800 number on a merchant's site, it is expected almost. It should not be the first and biggest thing on the page, it should not pop-up when the visitor is browsing, it should have some code to credit the affiliate somewhere in the general vicinity of that phone number and order takers should have a space on their form to put that info so it does not get 'forgotten'. The difference is that I for one, will spend days and mucho bandwidth (even a site) coding pretty pages -and paid promotion- for merchants who work with us and the others get a banner at the bottom of the page- if any. I thought that phone tracking was used on all SAS merchants, did not realize it is voluntary and extra. Might need to rethink those banners at the bottom of the page. I am not a World Champion Affiliate or anything but while I try to offer my visitors worthwhile products and places to shop, my time has value and I try to use it in productive ways.

It's not too tough to implement, and if you want to get fancy you can set the code up to only make the call to SaS when the visitor came from SaS. Speeds up site performance the rest of the time.

I've found most callers have already left the site by the time they call, but we have had a few who wrote down the code and were able to credit those affiliates.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    We just tested our SAS java script on our home page.

See Here

Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

"Promo Code: N/A"?

I've just wiped up my cookies and tried this page and it says "22"

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    "Promo Code: N/A"?

I've just wiped up my cookies and tried this page and it says "22"

Geno
    "Promo Code: N/A" that means "not applicable" or "not available"

Bob Pets Warehouse

We also changed ours to say "Ref #" rather than "Promo Code" to avoid customers asking where they can get a discount or otherwise getting it confused with a coupon code.
    Eathan Mertz

Geno,

You can edit the default. Take a look at your source code and you see this: "var defaultdisplay = 'Promo Code: 22';"

PetsWarehouse has "var defaultdisplay = 'Promo Code: N/A';"
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    We also changed ours to say "Ref #" rather than "Promo Code" to avoid customers asking where they can get a discount or otherwise getting it confused with a coupon code.
    I love it, mine are being changed now!

Bob Pets Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    "Promo Code: N/A" that means "not applicable" or "not available"
    Oh, so manually changed it to that? I honestly think it is better to give it some value. It is there for a reason, and when a customer quotes it to you, I'd rather let 'em have a number...

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Excellent idea. "Ref #", "tracking #", "customer #" or something of a kind will definitely help you avoid having customers thinking that there ripped off (by not getting the savings they could).

Geno

If they ask you can say we have promotion and deals at times, after you become a customer you'll get our promos in an email...............

I'll try the N/A for now it can always be changed, our customers usually never fail to tell us what they like and dislike.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    If they ask you can say we have promotion and deals at times, after you become a customer you'll get our promos in an email...............
    True, and good idea, though we're still working on our coupon system. If they ask what the "Ref #" is, we just say "It's something we use to track some of our advertising."
    Eathan Mertz

I like the default being a number, too. It just looks more natural to me. "N/A" seems to indicate that the customer isn't special.

I also agree with calling it a "Ref#" or something. Calling it anything that sounds like a promotion could cause the customer to expect a discount.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Good, productive thread. Thank you, spacedog.

And not only expect a discount, but possibly get confused when they're checking out at the shopping cart, looking for a place to enter the promo code. Then they might call up the merchant, which would mean more customer rep time and the potential to have to do a sale by phone (which could result in a lost commission for the aff if the merchant rep doesn't enter it manually). I hadn't thought of this. I'm liking "Ref #" or "Tracking #" a whole lot more than "Promo Code"!

Brian, if you're reading this it would be a good thing to start recommending to all the SAS merchants: (1) Setting up phone tracking, which seems to be not hard to implement, and (2) Recommending they use "Ref #" or "Tracking #" as the defaultdisplay. And I happen to like when this tracking code is in a nice standout color like red, directly above or below the toll free number.

Personally, I chose "Priority Code" for FreeQuotesWorld. My hope is that by giving them a number next to "Priority" they'll think to write it down along with the phone number. And perhaps it can make them feel special!

My default number is 86. I used to work in the restaurant industry, and we used the term to indicate when something was no longer available (correlation: there's no affiliate tracked with the sale!). And maybe the number is high enough that they think they're well "prioritized".

But that brings up an issue: does anyone know the lowest number that a SaS id can be? I wouldn't want to screw that one up...
    Chris Sturgill

Well, my SAS affiliate ID is six digits, but I joined late last year so maybe there are much lower numbers with fewer digits.

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    But that brings up an issue: does anyone know the lowest number that a SaS id can be? I wouldn't want to screw that one up...
    Mine is 1462. You're welcome to use that as a default.

I think you're okay with a 2-digit number. I think there are some 3-digit ones. Perhaps Brian could chime in to be sure.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

My list of affiliates show a couple of people with an ID of 4 digits, and SaS administrative ID is only 3 digits, so I'd image a 2 digit number would be safe. I would just like to verify that assumption...
    Chris Sturgill

warning newbie input:
    If there could be and indication that the merchant was using phone tracking codes on their detail page that would be help full. I get concerned when researching a vender and see their big toll number on their website. Maybe if the link to go check out their site was a test affiliate link it would show that they're using tracking?
    all the best, jon

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread