Underscores are now word separators
    "One key development that Matt shared with the audience was that underscores in URLs are now (or at least very soon to be) treated as word separators by Google." (Read the story here)
    Last edited by 1av8r; July 25th, 2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: sp

Hey 1av8r... Thanks for the heads up! Thanks great news to know.

I love to see Cutts in action. He's a great guy. I've met him and talked with him several times at Search Engine Strategies conferences. He's very accessible. It's also fun to watch him walk that fine line of what he can and can't tell us.

ABW Ambassador
    I remember discussions about that in the past, whether people should use _ or - . I thought people concluded Google saw them as the same but apparently not according to Matt, although they always should have been if they weren't. Some other interesting stuff in there, especially if you're a blogger wanting to get into Google News:

"When asked about how to get one's blog into Google News, Matt shared one of Google's requirements for inclusion: the blog must have multiple authors. So those of you wanting your blog showing up in Google News results, I hope it's a group blog!"

One interesting note on that article, you can submit your blog to google news, but only if it is a multi-author blog. Well, mine is, so I did. Hopefully I'll start getting some google news referrals, that would be excellent!

Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

1av8r

Thanks so much for the link to the article, I found it to be great help and really hope I come across that video clip some time soon, should be very interesting to watch.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    underscores in URLs are now (or at least very soon to be) treated as word separators by Google."
    It's about time!

"When asked about how to get one's blog into Google News, Matt shared one of Google's requirements for inclusion: the blog must have multiple authors. So those of you wanting your blog showing up in Google News results, I hope it's a group blog!"
    *snorts*
    Oh goodie. Now we can all look forward to 1-person blogs that have their owner posting under multiple usernames, just because Google's decided to be prejudiced against individuals.

Sometimes I think that engine doesn't even bother to fire a single neuron before deciding things.

They used to call people who talked to themselves crazy. Now, they will call them smart.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Matt Cutts said he didn't actually say that apparently:

"If you read Stephan Spencer’s write-up, he says that underscores are the same as dashes to Google now, and I didn’t quite say that in the talk. I said that we had someone looking at that now. So I wouldn’t consider it a completely done deal at this point. But note that I also said if you’d already made your site with underscores, it probably wasn’t worth trying to migrate all your urls over to dashes. If you’re starting fresh, I’d still pick dashes."

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/whiteh...-for-bloggers/

Don't know if it's that big a deal. My first sites I used underscores but have been using dashes last couple of years for new ones.

Couple of videos Whitehat SEO tips for Bloggers

http://onemansblog.com/2007/08/04/ma...-for-bloggers/
    Last edited by Trust; August 10th, 2007 at 01:06 PM.

I've used dashes and underscores interchangably the past few years, and never notied any difference. my dash named links rank the same as the underscore ones.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Purchasing Domain URLs with underscores appears to be a problem. They just get truncated into one word. New_domain.com just shows up as Newdomain.com
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Mike what is meant by "underscores in URL's" is like this:

ecomcity*com/canoe_paddles_and_luxury_wristwatches_and_laptop_coolers.html
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    "Purchasing Domain URLs with underscores appears to be a problem. They just get truncated into one word. New_domain.com just shows up as Newdomain.com"

I don't think you can even buy domains like that new_domain.com. You can get new-domain.com but never heard of the other way.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    underscore is banned from hostnames.

It's A-Z, 0-9 and the hyphen and that's it.

and the name can't start or end in a hyphen and hte 3rd and 4th characters can't BOTH be hyphens.

IDN's can AT PRESENT make use of many symbol characters, but they're talking of ditching them in the next round of technical specs for IDN's so don't going buying up any names at eBay with sybols in them because they make break very shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    Mike what is meant by "underscores in URL's" is like this:

ecomcity*com/canoe_paddles_and_luxury_wristwatches_and_laptop_coolers.html
    yeah, that's how I have it.. same concept.. just some are _ and some are - and some have both, and it doesn't seem to make a difference, the search engines just see separate words.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread