Unhappy Does Hostmonster ever actually convert??
    I've generated over 28,000 impressions for Hostmonster so far this year, which has resulted in 178 clicks, and only 2 sales (one of whom was from my brother).

Compare that to other web hosting merchants, where I usually get a steady conversion about every 45 clicks, and with far fewer impressions too.

Are any of you experiencing low conversions with Hostmonster as well, or is it just me?

I use them to host about 15 different sites, but I'm starting to yank their ads because they just plain haven't been converting like the other ones.

Nobody willing to comment?

Hmm... another thread yesterday was criticizing the guy because he wouldn't post the merchant's name, with comments like "post the merchant's name so we can help".

I post the merchant's name, but get no response.

Where's all the love? ;-)

I've done pretty well with HostMonster in the past, but I haven't actively marketed that particular website in quite some time so I have no idea how they stack up today.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Some of these hosts are so questionable. I sent over 1000 clicks to another host but never got a sale.

I would post the name but I want to review my stats before I bash them. I prob will post it here soon.

Here's the response I received to the email I sent Hostmonster yesterday, letting them know that I didn't think things were tracking correctly:

"Most of our affiliates have at least a 1% or better click-through to sale ratio. We have had a number of problems with CJ reporting not tracking sales properly and it could be an issue with them. My suggestion is to try switching to our in-house affiliate program on our website. You can just fill out the application and email me directly with the account name and I will upgrade your account to match your CJ payouts. I believe you will see a significant increase in sales that way. "

Now doesn't that just give you nice warm fuzzies about CJ?

If you decide to switch in-house, let us know how their reporting turns out. Also, as CJ does charge an extra 30% of all commissions paid, you might be able to convince them to pay you more than your CJ level by moving in-house. I've been successful with that tactic on a couple of occasions, and it never hurts to ask.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Now doesn't that just give you nice warm fuzzies about CJ?
    Why would you believe in someone that is not following the rules? Its against TOS to invite publishers to their in-house program - he only want you there to do not pay the CJ commission taxes.

...anyway I'm surprised to see that this hostmonster/bluehost guy replied you -- I never got a reply after sending dozen mails to them.
    [URL="tinyurl.com/p4wpj"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdWords [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="tinyurl.com/hphom"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]Commission Junction [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="http://tinyurl.com/nh6fc"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdSense[/COLOR] Community[/URL]

This just sucks. I've never had any good experience with some of the popular hosting providers.

BTW, which ones do you actually still promote and recommend?

I'm very interested in this, so thanks!

WOW - I switched to their inhouse program late last night, and discovered that it reports in real-time... and I've already received 9 clicks this morning from links that hardly ever registered clicks with CJ.

I'll keep watching this and report back in a couple of days. But this looks VERY promising so far, with regards to tracking. I haven't done anything different other than replace the CJ links with Hostmonster links. The banners are the same, and the text links are the same (what the user sees).

The invitation to join does seem suspect. I don't buy that CJ has problems tracking legitimate sales from trustworthy merchants. CJ has no incentive not to track the order as they don't get paid unless you get paid. It costs Hostmonster, what, 30% extra to pay you through CJ, so of course they'll want you to come in-house.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR
    This just sucks. I've never had any good experience with some of the popular hosting providers.

BTW, which ones do you actually still promote and recommend?

I'm very interested in this, so thanks!
    Dotster.com always has tracked every sale over the years, placed by my clients wanting to design them a site.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks for the tip ecomcity. I'll try them for a change.

I was the guy who made the comment about our in-house program to you a few months ago and that was one of my first days on the job. I have never used CJ as a merchant before and only as an affiliate at the time and was not aware of the TOS issue. I addressed that with CJ this past week as our rep told me not to do it anymore. lol... ooop's.

I do know for a fact though that many of our CJ accounts do have tracking issues. It is something we bring up with them every time they call us to see how we are doing. We pay them well over $30k a month (on a bad month) and we have been trying to help them as much as possible.

In contrast, our in-house program tracks in real time and I have so much more control in the reporting etc. I made a mistake in asking Rick to move in-house, but hopefully he has seen the amount of traffic and conversions go up.

I have seen no sales after this change in either CJ or the in-house program (unfortunately).

Not sure why. When I first started with Hostmonster, I landed a few sales the first couple of weeks just by putting up banners in the side bar margins on a few of my sites.

Since then I've had thousands of views to targetted pages, with lots of click throughs but no sales... so I've given up on it for now.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread