ABW Ambassador
    Question on citing stats from another website.
    Sorry if this has been asked somewhere, I looked around and didn't see it, so me if I missed it.

I'm building a content type website, and one important thing to include will be stats on the subject. I'm finding these stats on the CDC website. I believe it will be good to credit and cite the CDC for these stats, but I'm unsure how. To make it a little more complex, it appears the CDC got these stats from off line sources, which it cites (Meaning it has a link that goes to a reference section where it cites its sources, and each link sends you to the part of the reference section its source is mentioned).

How should I cite the stats the CDC cites?

1) When I cite them, just put a general link to the CDC website.
    2) Instead, put a link to the CDC webpage with the stat.
    3) Or, use the CDC cite link that goes right to the reference section and the listed source.
    4) Or, instead of citing to any section of the CDC website, build my own reference section with the sources the CDC uses, and link to that with the stats.

Right now, I'm thinking 4 will make my website more creditable looking, having the sources right there.. but.. that's kinda cheating too, even if I don't copy the CDC's exactly, since they did all the work finding the sources, right? So I think the best option is 3, but I was unsure if the CDC would like me linking that deeply, then again, being a government website meant to educate the public, they might not care?

Sorry if this is overly newbie to ask, just don't want to get myself into trouble with a rookie mistake, LOL.

Thanks for reading.

Look at this guide for citations:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/01/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Eeep! College flashbacks! MLA! D:

LOL, thanks Rhia7. Another useful link.

Although, it didn't quite answer my question on how I should cite the stats from the CDC. Though this will help me build a reference page for doing option 2, 3, or 4 now.

Refined question; would it be frowned upon to just make my own reference page with the sources the CDC cite in their references? Or be better to reference and cite the CDC, where they mention the stats?

By "CDC website" do you mean: "Centers for Disease Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Home Page"? There are 1,930,000 results in Google. Please define an acronym if you are asking for help related to the acronym.

You could use the CDC cite link that goes right to the reference section and the listed source: this would be very clear for your readers and good for usability guidelines or you could have a separate citation page with the sources and links
    (#3 & #4 -- either would be fine).

If you use #4 create a page of "Citations." Specify such a page clearly in your navigation.

Follow a citation guide, most colleges have [a basic] one online.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    "Centers for Disease Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Home Page"
    Sorry, I've been reading a lot about SEO tonight. Think I fried my brain, LOL. That CDC.

(#3 & #4 -- either would be fine).
    Thanks once again! Wasn't sure if 4 would be cheating, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    Yeah, that CDC. They cite the off line papers and journals on their website, and I'm wondering if I should cite the CDC for providing those stats, or the offline papers/journals instead.
    If you are discussing statistics online (i.e. on your site) and online sources exist, cite the online sources unless your only resources happen to be offline ones.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    LOL, you quoted something I edited out, but good you caught it before it was removed.

Yeah, the stats are online on the CDC website. The CDC website, gets them from off line sources. So it would in fact be best to "use the CDC cite link that goes right to the reference section and the listed source," instead of building my own reference page, citing the off line sources?

Edit: If only I could ask the question more like that right off! So glad for the patient people here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka

Yeah, the stats are online on the CDC website. The CDC website, gets them from off line sources. So it would in fact be best to "use the CDC cite link that goes right to the reference section and the listed source," instead of building my own reference page, citing the off line sources?
    Read what I said in post #4; either what you listed as #3 or #4 would be okay.
    Be consistent.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Eeep, yeah, you answered, sorry for re-asking. Just felt like, I finally had the exact question, minus my rambling, LOL.

Thanks for all the help so far (here and other threads).

In addition, you might be interested in up-to-the-minute news coverage on health here:
    http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Health

but the CDC is reliable for statistical purposes.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I think I would reference the CDC rather than the sources they use, as that would probably give the statistics more credibility.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Agreed with MC. Usually, a link is all that is necessary to cite an online source. Most people will check your sources and judge for themselves whether they are credible or not.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Rhia7 -> Thanks for another link!

MC -> Yeah, I'm thinking that would be better. Especially since I haven't read the sources the CDC use. Thanks for the reply!

MINDsprinter -> I agree, and thanks for the reply as well.

Hardaka, cite the page from wherever you obtained the information.

If you cite a page from the CDC, you don't cite their sources.
    Don't cite the sources from some other study's citations unless you actually obtained the information from the source.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I follow. Thanks.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread