Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Target Product Links Not Going to Product
    This has been an issue ever since Target moved to Performics!
    I just randomly checked about 30 plus product links and 97% are going to their home page and not the product. And, the products are in stock! I have contacted them before about this to no avail. Maybe it's just me?

Please check a sampling of your product links from various pages to see if the majority are going to their home page.

This not only effects Target sales but if a customer is on a particular page and finds a lot of links that in my book are dead, they leave. Performics, please fix!

Tami

I saw this too. Soooo frustrating. The datafeed was bad yesterday, incomplete. Somehow when the datafeed is bad, links don't work.

Must not be too many Target affiliates left with the seemingly lack of interest in these theads.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    Must not be too many Target affiliates left with the seemingly lack of interest in these theads.
    I've given up on Target and have replaced almost all of their links with products from other merchants, or if not otherwise available, just removed them. After all of the posts and emails since even before moving to PFX, its clear to me that Target just doesn't give a g** d*** about us and they can got to h*ll.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    I saw this too. Soooo frustrating. The datafeed was bad yesterday, incomplete. Somehow when the datafeed is bad, links don't work.
    I have not used the new feed from yesterday yet. What I do is use the datafeed to search for products I want to feature. I always check to make sure they are working then publish them and then 9 times out of 10 they will default to their homepage within 2-3 days. Their product feed was a lot more stable at Linkshare! I may have to convert all my links to Amazon. This is frustrating!

Tami

I have not used the new feed from yesterday yet.
    You don't have to use the new feed to be affected by the problem. My understanding is that when the datafeed is bad, it causes existing links to go bad. In other words, if your existing links are not in the new datafeed, they are treated as though they are out of stock and go to the home page. The datafeed is small again today and links are still not working.

If I am wrong in my understanding, I hope that Performics will correct me. And I sure hope that they are addressing this problem internally.

I think the problem is that if a product is not in whatever the current datafeed is (no matter which datafeed you are using), then the link will always direct to the homepage.

Therefore, we are dependent on Performics/Target keeping the datafeed accurately uptodate with all current products. Obviously, this is not happening, especially since I noticed that most of the products I'm trying to promote are active at Target, and yet not included in the datafeed and will always redirect to the homepage. What use is that?

I've noticed this with another merchant. If they go out of stock of the product, then they remove it from the datafeed. The problem with that is once the product is removed from the datafeed, the link redirects to the homepage ... making us (the publishers) look stupid. It would be much better if it continued to direct to the product page that says, "this item is out of stock." At least, then we don't look stupid to our visitors because we sent them to the merchant's homepage instead of the page for the product we've taken great pains to promote.

I'm a fan of datafeeds only in that they provide me to a quick index of all products. I do not use them to do a list/merge with software that puts up a duplicate of all the merchant's products like hundreds of other sites are doing. I manually design every page at my site, and include the products with my own descriptions. That's why I get top tier listing in the search engines.

It seems that merchants are not taking into account publishers like me who put a lot of personal effort into promoting their products. They are playing to the mass distributors of their links, and that it just plain wrong!

Target, turn the BYOL back on! Stop binding my hands and let me promote your products in the creative way that will actually generate sales for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    ...Target, turn the BYOL back on! Stop binding my hands and let me promote your products in the creative way that will actually generate sales for you!
    You would think they would do everything possible to help affiliates promote their products, but I think you're whistling in the dark. See my post from yesterday.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

I think the problem is that if a product is not in whatever the current datafeed is (no matter which datafeed you are using), then the link will always direct to the homepage.
    I think you are right Tracy.

I have noticed that this does not only occur with out of stock products. I have checked and it often happens with products in stock.

Yesterday after posting here the problem actually got worse and every product link I checked was going to home page. I moved the Target product links to the bottom of some of my more popular pages and when I checked moments ago some of the links are working.

The problem with that is once the product is removed from the datafeed, the link redirects to the homepage ... making us (the publishers) look stupid. It would be much better if it continued to direct to the product page that says, "this item is out of stock."
    I agree! It looks much better to the customer to see a Out of Stock page than a homepage.

Tami
    Last edited by Tami; July 28th, 2007 at 01:42 PM.

Target datafeed still bad
    I have not seen much if any improvement in the Target datafeed since I among others have complained aboiut this major issue here in this forum and through emails.

At Linkshare the Target datafeed was fine, it was complete, 95% of the product links went to the product or out of stock message not the home page. And they had a BYOL tool. Sales were good.

Now at Performics the datafeed is very incomplete with whole categories missing. Tons of products that default to their homepage. No BYOL tool. Sales are bad.

How is this a good thing right when everyone is getting ready for the for the holidays?

Ways I have coped:
    Use other merchants instead.
    Move Target product links that I must use below the fold because even though they go to the product today they won't tomorrow.

We need this resolved or if this is the way it is going to be, an explanation.

Tami

ABW Ambassador
    Ways I have coped:
    I pulled all the target off all pages altogether, is how I've coped. Too bad, they were a nice steady at LS - but then again, I could get links at LS back in the day.

Funny how Target cannot get BYOL to work, as they have said because of "tracking problems", but they can send out a handful of product links in their worthless newsletters.

Has anybody used their product links from the newsletters, and do you have sales reported, that is, do they track?

Any updates on this issue?
    Just wondering if anyone has been able to resolve this issue.

I have links that appear on the datafeed and then suddenly disappear. What's up with that?

I noticed that this problem still persists in their datafeed. Its a shame, with 11% commission rates I could be doing real well, but their links are so unreliable....
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Yes, this is a horrible problem. If not for Target's brand I wouldn't even use their datafeed, it's pure crap. Apparently the problem is with Amazon since Target uses their services to handle all their inventory.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Target Feed
    Hi All,

In order to fix this feed please send specific examples(links, products, etc) to AGull[at]doubleclick.com so we can look into this further.

Thank you!

DoubleClick Performics

Sure, but there are soo many bad links, this tells me that there is a fundamental problem with the generation process. We shouldn't have to tell you what ones are bad, you just have to click on ten links from the feed to find one... We are talking a pretty high percentage of bad links.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

In other words, it tells me that someone hasn't been testing their work sufficiently. Here's a simple test that someone should have written.

foreach link in datafeed file
    http get the link
    if final landing page is target home page
    Ooops, this one is f**d up

Please relay this message to the person in charge of generating the feed.

One last thing....

This is a lot of lost money we are talking about.... It would make financial sense to actually write the test case I mention and test each product link.

I'm with isellstuff, all you need to do is click a few links and you'll find most go to the homepage. In fact, I haven't clicked a Target link in the past couple weeks that didn't go to the homepage. It's a serious problem.

- Scott

Has there been any progress on this issue? I submitted actual problem links on December 4th. Can a fix be expedited? It can't get much worse... We are all losing soo much money because of this issue. It needs to be resolved before Christmas shopping ends. I'm getting tired of Target having the ONLY available item, e.g. the item is sold out everywhere else, but the sale not going through because the link is bad.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I just updated the feed and links looked like they worked correctly.

I just saw a price discrepancy on one of the items. The price given in the feed was higher than the price on the site.

- Scott

Please resend the examples of this issue to sadler[at]doubleclick.com.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClick Performics Moderator
    Please resend the examples of this issue to sadler[at]doubleclick.com.
    Thanks
    How many times do we need to send this information? It's readily available if somebody would just look at the feed and click 10-20 links.

- Scott

When looking into an issue it is best to have specific examples which decrease troubleshooting time.

Currently, links are redirected to homepage because products are changed daily in the Target data feed. Since a product is included one day and not the next we direct it to the homepage because we can't ensure a link which wasn’t provided today is active.

As we gather more information on this I will post.

Thank you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast