Ideas on organizing products? Categories?
    Hi,

I'm totally in love with your terrific resource here for building affiliate shops.

BUT -- I'm not too strong on ways to find and organize specific products from specific merchants.

Working directly with datafeeds, though I am limited on my scripting knowledge and ability, I know categories within a datafeed are very useful.

As best I can tell, PopShops offers nothing like categories, really. I can search by keywords within a network, within a merchant, and across networks and merchants.

But keywords are pretty "iffy" when it comes to getting specific categories.

For example, right now I would like to feature some "Jackets," "Running Shoes," "Metal Baseball Bats," etc., from a specific merchant. However, when I did a keyword search for "jackets" (with or without the quotes) after filtering down to this specific store -- I got several pages of every sort of product related to the "Georgia Tech Yellowjackets" -- and I'm not sure there were even any real jackets in the search result.

So, although this post is turning into much more than I planned, that would be what I'm trying to do and I would love any suggestions about how to do it.

Besides keyword searches, I know I can just browse through products and find some "jackets," for example, then set up autofeed and I'll get more jackets.

But it really destroys the whole idea of "customizing" the shops if I can't really chose a specific selection of products from a specific merchant -- then count on getting JACKETS instead of Georgia Tech "Yellowjackets" keyrings.
    Generate more fake news.

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Hi Gary,

Have you tried using the negative keyword feature? If you click on the "advanced" link next to the search box you have the opportunity to search with or without certain keywords to help target products more in the display.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Hi Gary,
    Just so you know, improving our search is a very high priority. I agree that there are a lot of things we can do to make it work better and we're working on solving those problems.

For me, it comes down to kind of hacking it when I have broad categories. I tend to browse a little before I commit to a product to add to my shop.

So, if you're trying to create a page with jackets good for jocks (did I guess that right?), then this is they system I would follow.

I did a search for "jackets" and browsed and noticed a couple of types extra keywords I could use.

I found that some jacket purveyors had the words "men's jackets" in them, so I narrowed to those keywords, and added a couple products from a couple merchants. Also "jacket baseball" and "jacket athletic" also gave me some clean results.

After adding those to my shops, I was able to turn on autofeed and have reliable results based on narrow keywords.

Anyway, hope to have a more intuitive way of being targeted, but that's in the works.

thanks,
    - Jessie

Thanks Angel and thanks Jessie. Both good suggestions. I shall play around with these ideas over the weekend.

Taking off my typists hat and putting on my marketing hat,
    Generate more fake news.

Have you considered...
    Have you considered visiting a merchant's web site and using their keyword for your popshop search? Some times that works.

Quote Originally Posted by landplanfran
    Have you considered visiting a merchant's web site and using their keyword for your popshop search? Some times that works.
    Well, DUH, why didn't I think of that sooner??

I'm reminded of the Guiness (sp?) commercials on TV that use the two animated characters. One of 'em thinks of something obvious, then the other guy shouts, "Brilliant!"

I owe you a loud "Brilliant!" for that one. It seems like an obvious idea -- but I had never thought of it.
    Generate more fake news.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread