Question Can you make more with Yahoo than with Adsense?
    I have a site that is using a lot of ad space from google and yahoo, I see that adsense is tracking more clicks but yahoo has better pay. My question is, can I make more money with Yahoo if I concentrate more on then than with Google? myentertainment.net is basically about movies, actors and actresses so the type of ads are not really high end ads but I just need to know it I should dedicate more space to yahoo or to keep a 50/50, give me some feedback please, thanks

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Jenny,

there's a thread on ABW somewhere where the comparison is made, including stats. If I thought I could find it easily, I'd go look for it myself. LOL -

Bottom line conclusion for me is that I was making more money with Goog, even though the payout was higher on Yahoo.

Sometimes, if one isn't producing well on one site, try the other. They both have their strengths.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I have a real estate site for a beach resort that is visited by a couple hundred people daily. They seem to be looking for condo rental and sales information. They also like "browsing" because of the hundreds of pictures we have.

About a year ago I put in a little php script that randomly displays either a G ad unit or a Y ad unit. So a reader who visits several pages will get to see ads from BOTH during the same visit.

Google has such a large advertiser base that most of the ads served are closely relevant to the pages. Yahoo, on the other hand, has less relevant ads - but they do pay more per click.

Summary (without digging out the spreadsheets), over the last year there have been about twice the "clicks" with AdSense, but because of the higher per-click payout with Yahoo, overall revenue has been about even.

Now, keep in mind that is for a given site. So, my suggestion is that you run an A-B test. If you can't "rotate" like I do, you can try a "weekly" change for a month - then take a look at your results.

There's that old saying, "You be the judge."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

when it comes down to it i have found that you make more with Google then Yahoo... my personal highest paid click i've received from Google was $11... i've also have a few that were around $4.. but when it comes to Yahoo... the highest i've ever had was $1.12... now if you compare the two there is a BIG difference in payment...
    Visit me over at... [URL=http://www.socialrankings.com]Social Rankings[/URL] or [URL=http://revenuerobot.blogspot.com]Revenue Robot[/URL]

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    I have a real estate site for a beach resort that is visited by a couple hundred people daily. They seem to be looking for condo rental and sales information. They also like "browsing" because of the hundreds of pictures we have.

About a year ago I put in a little php script that randomly displays either a G ad unit or a Y ad unit. So a reader who visits several pages will get to see ads from BOTH during the same visit.

Google has such a large advertiser base that most of the ads served are closely relevant to the pages. Yahoo, on the other hand, has less relevant ads - but they do pay more per click.

Summary (without digging out the spreadsheets), over the last year there have been about twice the "clicks" with AdSense, but because of the higher per-click payout with Yahoo, overall revenue has been about even.

Now, keep in mind that is for a given site. So, my suggestion is that you run an A-B test. If you can't "rotate" like I do, you can try a "weekly" change for a month - then take a look at your results.

There's that old saying, "You be the judge."
    Brilliant answer, I can't think of how it could be improved. Seems to me that this is exactly what a webmaster would do to optimize their income - especially those relying on contextual advertising as a meaningful part of their income.

Care to share your php script?

I second that. I'd love to do some split testing and the script would be a nice tool.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I was pro-YPN for a while, but lately I've come back to AdSense. My reasoning was that fewer YPN clicks was an indication that I was giving less value to my visitors. They click much more often on AdSense indicating that they're getting more value. So from a service standpoint I'd rather give my visitors more of what they want. Even if I make the same (if not more) the other way around.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    What Snib said. :-)

Goog ads are much more relevant to my content which makes my site look better and not like an ad minefield with unrelated nonsense showing up.

Meanwhile, Y pays way more per click which is frustrating. Goog clicks on my site are typically a few cents per where Y clicks can be anywhere from 25 cents to more than a few dollars. BIG difference - wish it would even out better across both options.

I think testing each is the answer. Everyone will have a different opinion and outcome. When I did my comparison last year, my figures came out to favor Goog over Y even with the difference in amount per click. More clicks seemed to equal better ROI in my case. (I tried to search for that thread but couldn't find it - might have been included in another thread about either G or Y ads)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    I'm curious, if your site is also doing affiliate marketing what percentage of your income is from affiliate marketing vs Adsense/Yahoo?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Brilliant answer, I can't think of how it could be improved. Seems to me that this is exactly what a webmaster would do to optimize their income - especially those relying on contextual advertising as a meaningful part of their income.

Care to share your php script?
    Sure. (And, thank you for the compliment.)

I do it in three parts.

1.) At the top of my pages (must be php enabled pages - either with .php or mod-rewrite to make the server parse .html as .php) I generate a Random String.
    ----------
    <?php
    // Generate Random Key
    $R = rand(1,2);
    ?>

----------
    2.) Then in the location on the page where I want the ad to appear, I call a php include for a text.html file in my site's root directory - like this:
    ----------
    <?php
    // Call for the Appropriate AD Code Insert - either Goog or Yah
    include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "/PPCads-$R.html");
    ?>

(this could be a bit easier to call for the text file directly, but using that document_root thingy makes it work no matter in what subdirectory your page may actually exist.)
    ----------
    3.) Then I create two (2) files, PPCads-1.html and PPCads-2.html. Here is where I use "1" one for the Google script and ""2" for the Yahoo script. Note that these .html pages ONLY contain the script and no other <tags>, like the HEAD or BODY. Because you are "including" them in your current page, which already has all of the proper page tags.
    -----
    Donuts - you may want to re-explain what I just tried to explain - not sure if it is very clear for someone (like me) just learning php.

I also have another site where I generate 3 random numbers and use Google for one of the random selections, and aff ad on another and some hotel ads that I built on the third. This is on a set of pages where people look at many photos - so the larger variety of relevant ads provides a bit more value to my readers. At least I hope so...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    I'm curious, if your site is also doing affiliate marketing what percentage of your income is from affiliate marketing vs Adsense/Yahoo?
    That's a tough question to field, Bob, because I have several (several dozen, perhaps?) sites; some of which have contextual advertising only, some of which have Affiliate Marketing only, and several which have a blend.

If you Go Fly a Kite (in my sig) you will find no contextual ads. (Allen tells me I am one of his top affiliates.)

The Real Estate site I mentioned has very little "real" affiliate marketing - only a couple of links to Hotels-dot-whatever. I built the site with the help of a close friend who is a Realtor in that beach resort. He has exposure (photo ad) on nearly every page. He gets traffic and I earn a bit from AdS/YPN. We have plans to greatly enhance the site this winter - but for now I can count on $250 every month with absolutely no maintenance or ad expense.

My single most profitable site has a blend. However the majority of income +/- 90% is travel related and the rest is AdS/and a few aff products.

I first signed up with AdSense in the fall of 94, got my first check in December and haven't missed a check since then. My first full year of "exploring" the ads earned me $2200. I was always afraid to put them on my hotel sites for fear of "diluting" the sales; so I carefully "experimented" the next year, and did just over 10 times the first year. And, without hurting reservations. In fact I believe having Google on board added to my "credibility" with visitors. I did not, however, put AdSense on pages where I was directly selling hotel rooms.

We (my daughter and I) are currently rebuilding (online since '99) my first community site. It will end up with over 1000 unique pages containing local pictures and narrative (mostly database driven - but all unique stuff). It sells a lot of hotel reservations (BTW, had a nice $140 commission today on one of the sales) and will soon be selling other products. The community contains the "yuppie" section of our city - with all of their pets, mostly dogs. I will have a section about having a dog in the city, using the local parks and dog parks - and I might be able to sell some pet products when we get that part done. However, I would not dilute the pet product ads with AdSense - although I might try a rotation for a while to see what comes out in the wash.

All right enough verbosity for one night. </soapbox>

I'll be out of town for the next 5 days and am NOT taking a laptop - but will try to check in on my iPhone.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Donuts - you may want to re-explain what I just tried to explain - not sure if it is very clear for someone (like me) just learning php.
    Your solution is exactly what I do for many similar cases!

You're:
    +randomly generating the number 1 or 2 with this: $R = rand(1,2)
    +naming the two text files (one containing the adsense code, the other yahoo) using the number 1 and 2 in their names
    +using the randomly switched variable $R to call either file as an include

As the page/pages are used, it randomly alternates between loading the adsense or the yahoo ad code. After enough clicks, the randomness is pretty much assured to even out pretty well. So then you can inspect your results for each ad source and compare them know you didn't introduce any bias into their rotation for testing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Using numbers, in a clever naming scheme, for rotation of insertion, can be used in many clever ways for other things!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On my coupon site, I feature a "merchant of the day" on my home page. I want this to be the same for everyone who visits my site for an entire day, then to automatically switch to the next featured "merchant of the day" tomorrow - and so on, until all have rotated, then I start over again. So I use php function that gives you the day of the month (like today is July 28th, so my number is 28) and I divide it by the number of merchants I have in my rotation (let's say it's 5). 28 divided by 5 is 5 with a remainder of 3. I use the remainder, 3, to grab my scheme's file. In this way, the remainder function in php, using just the day of the month divided by my number I want to rotate, gives me this series of numbers:
    day of month | remainder
    1 | 1 (1 divided by 5 is 0 with remainder of 1)
    2 | 2 (2 divided by 5 is 0 with remainder of 2)
    3 | 3 (3 divided by 5 is 0 with remainder of 3)
    4 | 4 (4 divided by 5 is 0 with remainder of 4)
    5 | 0 (5 divided by 5 is 0 with remainder of 0)
    6 | 1 (6 divided by 5 is 1 (which i just ignore) with remainder of 1)
    7 | 2 (7 divided by 5 is 1 with remainder of 2)
    8 | 3 (8 divided by 5 is 1 with remainder of 3)
    and so on.

I name my 5 different include files like this:
    featuredmerch1.inc
    featuredmerch2.inc
    featuredmerch3.inc
    featuredmerch4.inc
    featuredmerch0.inc

And presto, php will automatically check the day of the month every time the page is loaded and it'll calculate the remainder, and then automatically include the featured merchant of the day for today. Tomorrow it moves forward one increment and I don't touch a thing. If I decide to add a new merchant, I can either edit of the 5 existing files (which removes one of the existing merchants from the rotation) or I can add a new file and start dividing the day of the month by 6 (now rotating 6 merchants before looping back to the first one).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beachy, your random 1-2 switch is also excellent for landing page conversion testing and many other such A/B type things that webmasters frequently come up with. Elegant solution pal - short, simple, does the job perfectly. Thanks for sharing your code with others!

By the way, little forum tip for you - when you quote something, you know how we can use square brackets and "QUOTE"... well, if you use square brackets and "CODE", it'll show your code in a nice cut and paste box for others, without executing it. Example:
    Code:
    <?php
    $Beachy="Cool Idea Man";
    ?>

Thanks, Donuts, for summarizing and for the additional ideas. I hope this is useful to others.

I'm in Chicago on a baseball trip with some guys - posting this via iPhone - so won't be on much 'til Thursday.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I wrote a whole heart felt reply to this yesterday and then deleted it because I was toooooo detailed.

This from a guy that makes $1000's a month from GOOG from ONE site mainly! I have it on a smaller site, but only make a few hundred a month from it.!

GOOG has been adding crappy "made for adsense" sites to the rotation over the 18 months.

There are over 11 million of these MFA sites out there clogging up the internet now, paying less and less to their Adwords acct's because they are finding loopholes and spend the time to " know the system " -

Kudos to them if they are making money!

But the fact of the matter is that Content Driven sites like mine are taking a hit, because Goog is getting paid less and less for sites that WANT TO BE LISTED ON CONTENT SITES -

It's an Option.

I don't advertise on sites - Just Search Results.

I tried Yahoo Beta on an Include Page that delivers about 35,000 page views a day!

These Includes are on very pin-point home improvement pages in my site.

Windows - Doors - Decks - Security - Roofing etc. - etc.

Yahoo results on those pages are the same as every other page.

Mostly Refinance ( $478/month for a $bazillion loan ) or credit card etc.

Click thrus were low.

Payout was better per click, but ...........

GOOG is much more professional about their approach.

EXTREMELY targeted around genuine content and the click thru rate is a steady 9 - 11 %.

Yahoo CTR was not even a solid 1%.

Damned if GOOG isn't trying to take over the world and you either enjoy the ride or take a hit in the pocket book.

IMHO!

Jimmy ~

:-)
    Last edited by RemodelingGuy; July 29th, 2007 at 01:45 AM.

I'd say for the large majority of sites Google is going to bring more money.

A few months back the race was a little closer than it is now as I've seen some very high per click payouts from Yahoo.

That said, Yahoo's contextual system relevancy is horrible! The click rate doesn't really matter if the ads aren't relvant because the Click Through Rate will be too low.
    I've yet to see a site that YPN yields a higher eCPM than Adsense.

Recently YPN announced their own version of what Google calls Smart Pricing. It is understandable for the advertisers but it just widened the gap for publishers.

YPN has an incredible opportunity to gain some marketshare but until they can come up with a system that generates more relevant results they are a distant second (if that).

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread