ABW Ambassador
    Hello everyone...

After talking to Haiko, he recommended that I post this to see what the community thought about various promotional links.

What many have discovered over the past few months is that there are numerous me-too types of offers given to affiliates for posting on their sites. I believe the consumer is bored with those types of offers, unless he/she is looking for a specific item, and finds a coupon for said item.

What do you think of links (text, banner, et al) that consumers will click simply due to the promotion itself? For instance, my new business is selling travel incentives to merchants with substantial advertising budgets.

These offers vary in scope, but unlike many out there, ours are real. For instance, we have Premium Flight Coupons with varying dollar values that are good on any airline, any time, any destination in the world; with no blackout dates or the other restrictions normally associated with travel premiums. We also have hotel credits with the same types of limited restrictions. Ours are real to the consumer, not perceived value.

Do you think that having a link on your site that says something like, "Buy $50.00 worth of goods from X merchant today, and receive a night at any hotel in the United States Free!" would entice the consumer to click?

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    OBdon .."Do you think that having a link on your site that says something like, "Buy $50.00 worth of goods from X merchant today, and receive a night at any hotel in the United States Free!" would entice the consumer to click?"

Hell yes they'd click and it would be worth it to affiliates to setup a page with participating merchants on it to better target a shoppers click.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    As a consumer I'd find that a much more enticing offer than a free shipping or x% of order deal.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Mike....

My thoughts exactly. We ran a recent promotion with the largest grocer on the West Coast. The promotion ran from Oct. 3rd through Nov. 5th. The consumer had to buy $300.00 worth of groceries during that time-period to receive a $50.00 Premium Flight Credit, good on any airline, anytime, anywhere in the world. No Blackout dates or other restrictions.

The grocer (admittedly brick and mortar) ordered 400,000 of these, and had to order an additional 50K of them for the last week. Imagine Mike, that is $135 million in revenue, and they figure the incremental value is well over $50 million for the promotion.

Needless to say, they have budgeted a very generous 7 figures for another promotion that will run starting in March.

The online world is no different.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    Hi BLFH...

The cost to the merchant is substantially less than free shipping as well.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

Don,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do you think that having a link on your site that says something like, "Buy $50.00 worth of goods from X merchant today, and receive a night at any hotel in the United States Free!" would entice the consumer to click?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seriously believe that such an incentive would drive hoards of new sales for affiliates and provide an excellent new acquisition mechanism for any merchant who implements it.

The "me too" coupons, all though effective, can NOT drive new acquisitions like this type of incentive offering.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Haiko...

In actuality, what we have been discovering of late is the fact that many of the merchants already have traffic up the wazoo. What suffers is their conversion-rate.

These incentives drive consumers who are motivated to buy, and to buy now. They want some of the merchandise from the merchant, but the impetus is the promotion itself.

A couple of our current clients are spending less and less on SEO simply due to the fact that their conversion rates are much higher now with the current crop of consumers coming to their site(s) due to the incentive offer.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Hook up with Overstock Obdon. That way they can run an in-house incentive program and drop all their outside "incent" loyality shopping profit ripping expenses.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    Don't think I am not going to try Mike. I really like Shawn, but unfortunately in the rarified air where 6-7 figure expenditures are concerned, AMs almost never have the yank to make those types of decisions.

I'll get 'em eventually simply because there is no other travel incentive company out there that offers real incentives that the consumer can actually use without jumping through a miriad of hoops.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    you have to remember that a lot of the people responding don't work the normal 8-5 j*bs. Since I, for one, do, I do not see any value in this type of promotion, because that would mean using vacation time that I can't use, or don't want to use.
    I'm assuming you'd be targeting the avg. Joe out there, so you have to put your own wants & desires aside and think of it from their point of view. Any time I see "free vacation", I think 1) it's a scam, 2) I don't have time, or now 3) I'd rather have the free shipping
    ...but hey, other than that, great idea

Supras | Celicas

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Celicaphile...

I fully understand. Just as umbrellas are not a high commodity item in the Sahara, not all incentives fit everyone.

Factually however, travel is the most highly prized promotional incentive there is; except cash. That from the DMA and the Ad Council.

And, who do we sell to anyway if not the average Joe?

Best to you,

Don

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Any time I see "free vacation", I think 1) it's a scam, 2) I don't have time, or now 3) I'd rather have the free shipping <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with the above. My first thought also was It's a scam,just like all the snail mail I get.
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    Nope Cazzie...

The trips you get in the snail mail and spammed with on your e-mail are usually time-share types of crapola. We offer true travel incentives - period.

I have been around way too long, and am known by way too many folks to get into the scam industry.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

For consumer to buy something just to take advantage of the offer that comes with it, it should worth the time and money they'll spend on that purchase. Most Internet Retailers make pretty low margins, and to add your offer to the transaction, they also have add the cost of offer. That make their product/service prices go up. Which is not good.

I think online consumer still prefer offers that they can easily and instantly use, like free shipping, XX% off, or even cash back as in ebate's practice. Because they see the result fast and they have only deal with one party, the merchant. As in your case, they have to deal with restrictions of the merchant for the offer as well as your company's and the travel supplier's.

Other than that, it's a great idea!

ABW Ambassador
    No Sambay, I honestly believe you are sincere in your criticism. And, after all, that is what I asked for in the first place.

I do know however that in one particular instance, the travel incentive offered by a single merchant increased their conversion by 200%. Two months after the end of the promotion, we contacted a number of the buyers to see what their satisfaction level was, and it was incredibly high for the ones who had already taken advantage of the offer, and well over 20% of the others said that they would indeed use the incentive within the timeframe provided.

The merchant is ecstatic, the customers are very happy (not a single complaint with over 400K qualified certificate holders), and I made money. All in all, a very successful promotion that will be repeated with a different offer starting in March.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread