Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    It's tap water!!!
    If anyone knows me, I have a pet peeve about bottled water. $3 for a bottle at shea stadium for example when there is a free water fountain which is actually cold. Also I know here in NY we have some of the best water. So I am delighted to tell all of you, Bottle water is just tap water, pretty much always has been. Well at least Aquafina and nestle.

Coke's watert I'm not exactly sure what that is since its the only bottle water that has a list of ingredience that isn't one word long.

Anyway here is the story http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/27/news...es/pepsi_coke/ So all you out there, you can safe alot of money by drinking the water from your tap. You know that bottled water is more expensive than gasoline.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Oranges! I am SOOOOOOO with you about the craziness of BUYING water. What's next... bottles of AIR?!! I'm gonna resist the strong urge to go on a long rant here!

~Bob

Tap Water - Chlorine
    Many people feel it's well worth $1-$3 to NOT drink the chlorine and other 'contaminants' that are filtered out of 99% of bottled water.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker
    Oranges! I am SOOOOOOO with you about the craziness of BUYING water. What's next... bottles of AIR?!! I'm gonna resist the strong urge to go on a long rant here!

~Bob
    What, you haven't visited an Air-Bar yet? I can't believe people are so gullible. Maybe there's a bigger market for Get Rich Quick E-books than I thought.

-rematt

BTW, Evian is Naive spelled backward.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    Many people feel it's well worth $1-$3 to NOT drink the chlorine and other 'contaminants' that are filtered out of 99% of bottled water.
    I just can't shake the picture in my mind of factory workers filling empty bottles direct from the tap (while giggling insanely).

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oranges
    So all you out there, you can safe alot of money by drinking the water from your tap
    I guess I've saved millions then too. LOL I saw that news earlier and was cracking up, you have no idea how many times I've told people, 'it's tap water'.

In some cities or even some countries I do agree that bottled water would probably be better overall, but it's always been just good marketing.

Reverse osmosis is the key...
    Yes, most bottle water factories use 'tap water' for their bottled water. If you stop reading at this point, you'll think 'tap water' is in the bottle. You would be wrong.

Most bottled water is run though a reverse-osmosis filtration system which eliminates about 99% of the chlorine and other contaminants that are allowed to be in tap water.

Most people think you'd be crazy to drink pool water all day long because it's filled with chlorine. Although tap water has lower concentrations of chlorine than pool water, a lot of people believe a contaminant is a contaminate, no matter the concentration, and will gladly pay $1 to eliminate that contaminant.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker

~Bob
    The tap (well, not municipal) water here used to be okay, albiet very iron-laden. I was used to the flavor and actually wouldn't be sad if it still tasted like that, although city-dwellers never could drink it.

But since the neighborhood built up, it turned very nasty-tasting, and iffy-smelling. New tastes, some of which I can't identify, came into it. And, it never had smelled before, but it does now. I can't think of any possible *good* reasons for such changes (after all, a new underground mineral deposit couldn't have just grown out of nowhere!), but there are plenty of bad possibilities.

So I definitely use the bottled stuff and don't think it's crazy at all, in my situation. The kind I use isn't expensive; it's something like $5/24 bottles (it's the store brand.) But it's filtered and has no iffy tastes/smells.

As for the bottled stuff being filtered tap water, I can't understand what everyone's so surprised about!! This "news" has been out for years!!! MOST bottled water is filtered tap water. I thought it was common knowledge after a bunch of stories ran a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    Most bottled water is run though a reverse-osmosis filtration system which eliminates about 99% of the chlorine and other contaminants that are allowed to be in tap water.

Most people think you'd be crazy to drink pool water all day long because it's filled with chlorine. Although tap water has lower concentrations of chlorine than pool water, a lot of people believe a contaminant is a contaminate, no matter the concentration, and will gladly pay $1 to eliminate that contaminant.
    Exactly. Not to mention well water, which is totally untreated. Fine if what's in your well is okay and doesn't taste ominous...if it does, then IMO it's better to use the bottled.

And, even though I think the levels of chlorine in muni water aren't harmful per se, it tastes like pool water in many cities, in other words it tastes nasty! Not all, but a lot of the cities I've traveled through have that overchlorinated-tasting water (and sometimes there's so much in it that it even smells like a pool).

So I'd use bottled water even in a city, unless I happened to land in one of the few that actually manage to have good-tasting water. I know that many city-dwellers think their water tastes fine, but that's because they're used to it. To me, most of that stuff tastes like it came out of the back of either a pool, or a naugahyde factory.

And the worst water I've ever had came from a municipal system. That of Polk County, FL. I don't know what on Earth they put in their water, but it is downright AWFUL tasting--far worse than chlorine!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager
    I wish that I lived in a place that you could just drink water out of the tap. I grew up in NYC and agree that it has great water. I can't imagine why a New Yorker would ever buy bottled water to drink at home.

But here in the desert, it is a whole other story. You couldn't pay me to drink the water here untreated out of the tap. It is nasty. In our office there are two bathrooms. In one, the faucet looks like some kind of stalagmite from all of the minerals from the water that have built up on it over the years. In the other, the toilet is "sick" (according to my seven year old). There is an inch thick layer of minerals coating it from the water. Yuck! In both cases it would be easier to replace the whole fixture than to try and get that crud off.

At home we had to install both a water softener and a reverse osmosis system to have decent water to use and drink.

So you New Yorkers appreciate that good water. It certainly isn't like that everywhere. I agree that the idea of paying for water is crazy, but... given our choice locally it is the way to go.

Melissa

I like to keep a big package of bottled water in my trunk. Don't always have a tap or drinking fountain around.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I used to belong to New York Sports Club (it had great water fountains) but now I've joined a really local gym that doesn't have water fountains so I have to buy bottled water for the gym.

I agree that New York water is cool
    *But* I always bought/will buy bottled water if I traveled/travel to Spain or Portugal

I live second from the top story of my building and the elevator will be replaced soon: that means I will by default get into great condition climbing up the stairs (looks as if replacement might take 2 or 3 months -- boy will I miss the elevator!)
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Personally I very seldom drink water that doesn't have coffee in it. I'm sure the brewing process must kill most of the unwanted organisms in the water. I also make my coffee strong enough that it hides any unpleasant taste. Further proof that coffee is good for you.

-rematt

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    I feel fortunate to live in the country and have a nice deep well. While, like Leader had mentioned, it is slightly heavy in iron, it tastes great!

When I know I'm going to be somewhere for more than just a few hours, I fill empty gatorade bottles with our water so I don't have to drink someone else's. I've been drinking our well water for so long that even bottled water tastes funny to me.
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    When I do drink water, it's bottled water. Used to be Zephyrhills but now Deer Park. http://www.deerparkwater.com/KnowH2O/OurSources.aspx

It says the source is Frontier Springs. Now I'm sure animals don't piss in streams or no acid rain and such and it's filtered good, so I believe it's pure to the core. Now growing up it was tap, or water with flouride in schools or the hose attached outside to various buildings. I started drinking it because it came in a handy container and I used to drink a lot of it at work or when working out.

The problem with tap for me and it could be unfounded, haven't really looked into it but I think depending on where you live, the quality of tap water might be different. And then hearing stories every now and then of something happening and people having to boil their water. When I visited my parents, who were in NC at the time, I mentioned the water was a little different. It's because they had to add water softener or something like that. And I can taste differences in water, I've been tested on that before and won a bet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've been drinking our well water for so long that even bottled water tastes funny to me.
    Other water tastes funny to me, too, but the bottled is tolerable. Strangely enough, the store-brand stuff tastes better to me than the expensive kinds.

But oh, how I wish our well water tasted like it used to!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Detroit & suburbs tap water is rated the best in the USA. Mix it with coffee and it's a winner. For the bottle water baby guests I just take some of the empty water bottles and fill them with tap water and refrigerate.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Posted by Leader: Strangely enough, the store-brand stuff tastes better to me than the expensive kinds.
    Ah... unless I am badly mistaken, pure water does not have any taste.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

http and a telephoto
    I have bottles of water in the house because like mentioned above, I'm in the desert And tap water isn't actually cold here. I carry them everywhere, and I *never* used to drink water, hate the stuff. Now I have bottles of water everywhere, and for coffee and tea etc I have a Brita pitcher in the fridge. I learned the hard way not to drink unfiltered water in many locations, so now just don't do it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Same here in Phoenix. We saw a report that rated tap water around the country. The scale was 1 (lowest) to 100 (best water). Phoenix water was rated 1.

The water is very alkaline and tastes bad. We drink bottled spring water.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I can't stand most bottled water. It is too pure. Even the waters that have had minerals added are still too pure.

Spring water, on the other hand, has the minerals in it that make it taste good. "Buhl" water http://www.buhl-water.com/ is the best IMHO at about 89 cents per gallon. Next would be our well water at about 2 cents per gallon for the electricity to run the pump.

I must agree, chlorinated city water can be pretty obnoxious. It can wreck a good pot of coffee as well.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    I have 240 ft well with all kinds of water treatment/iron systems on it, and still won't drink it. I'll stay with the bottled water, it certainly tastes and looks better.

Distilled water is the purest water. I use a distiller that I bought at Sears not only because it is the purest way to filter but because distilling my own is cheapest. I do still use purchased bottled water for in the car, traveling etc. I buy cheaper store brand "purified" bottled water which typically means reverse osmosis. I do not trust tap water because of all the chemicals and you hear on the news from time to time to boil your water for various reasons. I feel your kidneys are happier not having all those extra chemicals to filter out. Not to mention your bladder and liver.

Tami

water here used to be okay, albiet very iron-laden.
    Few years ago, they used to run a commercial on TV, selling a gadget that people would attach to their water faucets, in order to remove the iron from the water, but you can do the same with this trick:

Save Money On Iron-Free Water!

If you have a decent size loudspeaker, remove the big magnet from the woofer, and run the water faucet pipe through the center hole of that big magnet and leave that magnet attach there.

Now, every time that you get water flowing from that faucet pipe, the iron is supposed to get stuck on the side where the magnet is located, and cleanner iron-free water should come out from that faucet pipe.

I had a guy come to my home to try to sell me some big fancy water filtler. When he tested all my water the results were:

Bottled Water - dirtyest (probably because they store it in the sun and bacteria forms)
    Tap Water - Pretty Descent, very low chlorine
    Water From My Britta Filter - Just as clean as his big fancy filter
    His Filter - Very Clean

Also, research found that 33% of all bottled water doesn't meet regulations, and unlike tap water who have thousands of people monitoring quality. Bottled water has exactly 1 person monitoring all the bottled water in the country.
    Story here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfPAjUvvnIc

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I always said the people that came up with the concept of selling bottled water were geniuses. Now I know they were. Made a ton of money for years and were busy tapping the old kitchen sink.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast