Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Click Sig and You've Applied
    I'm sure many of you have seen sig links for merchants that you may have some interest in, but know nothng about. Seeing such a link, I would figure that if I click it, I will go either to the merchant's site, or an affiliate info page, likely at SAS.

However, twice now in the last couple of months, I clicked on a link just to see some info about a merchant, that I, at the time, had no real interest in, and had no intent on joining, but just wanted to see what the site was like and what their affiliate terms were, and instead of seeing info, just by clicking the sig link, I applied to the program.

Now I've joined these two merchant programs who fit none of my sites, and for whom I have no time to create something specifically geared to them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but when we see a sig link like this, hotsellingwidgetsdotcom, we should be able to click it to see some info, and not to automatically apply. If the AM or OPM thinks that having this type of a link in their sig is a good idea, then at least say that clicking=applying.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, that shouldn't happen. Should go to a landing page with details about the program.

I did that recently and felt so stupid that I immediately e-mailed the AM to let them know that I hadn't intended to join their program and was just checking their site.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    Wow, I wouldn't have even thought to do that. Anywhere, not just in a sig file. Isn't that just like cookie stuffing?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Wow, I wouldn't have even thought to do that. Anywhere, not just in a sig file. Isn't that just like cookie stuffing?
    Nah, it's pretty benign and probably more trouble to the merchant than the affiliate.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Is this an Indy or network merchant?

Don't think it is something like cookie stuffing Loxly.
    This falls in the grey area of insufficient info / disclaimer

Do they make it hard to drop that program??

ABW Ambassador
    "However, twice now in the last couple of months, I clicked on a link just to see some info about a merchant, that I, at the time, had no real interest in, and had no intent on joining, but just wanted to see what the site was like and what their affiliate terms were, and instead of seeing info, just by clicking the sig link, I applied to the program."

Who? Maybe contact them and tell them to get a landing page or something.

Quote Originally Posted by WyndhamVacationR-EricEwe
    Is this an Indy or network merchant?
    The sig in question (same sig for both merchants - no, I didn't realize I was doing the same thng the second time untill it was too late) is that of a well-respected OMP and moderator and the merchants are at SAS.

Quote Originally Posted by WyndhamVacationR-EricEwe
    Do they make it hard to drop that program??
    Don't know - I haven't tried dropping them.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "However, twice now in the last couple of months, I clicked on a link just to see some info about a merchant, that I, at the time, had no real interest in, and had no intent on joining, but just wanted to see what the site was like and what their affiliate terms were, and instead of seeing info, just by clicking the sig link, I applied to the program."

Who? Maybe contact them and tell them to get a landing page or something.
    At first, I was just going to send a PM, but then I thought I would do it this way first, to see what others thought about it.

I just realized I did the same thing some time ago. I didn't realize I had joined a LS merchant until this morning I received my first email from the AM. It was my notice that I was removed from his program for lack of activity, no clicks, etc. ROTFLMAO!
    ~Ernie

Internet Cowboy
    I have communicated this to many AMs and OPMs and very few have responded. Equally as annoying is to have to log in to a network to get some details about the program. I'm right here, right now. Why not give me the information I need? It takes 30 minutes to set up this page for each new client and can result in a more productive affiliate pool.

It would make sense that in an AM's signature is a link to a page that requires no login that gives details about the program. For every merchant an AM represents, either a page on the merchant's site like merchant.com/affiliates or opmsite.com/merchant would make it SO much easier to get details on a given affiliate program. This also has some SEO ramifications for the OPM or merchant.

As a matter of fact, I pretty well disregard AM's sigs because of this. It will be a link that requires a login or will instantly enroll me in the program. I understand the desire to get affiliates aboard, but what use is it if we only wanted some information.

That is very misleading. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a real sleezeball way of geeting new applications.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I'm sure many of you have seen sig links for merchants that you may have some interest in, but know nothng about. Seeing such a link, I would figure that if I click it, I will go either to the merchant's site, or an affiliate info page, likely at SAS.
    I complained about that once, if I click on a link about a new merchant, I just want to know what's in it for me first, then I should decide if I should join at that moment or not.

However, twice now in the last couple of months, I clicked on a link just to see some info about a merchant, that I, at the time, had no real interest in, and had no intent on joining, but just wanted to see what the site was like and what their affiliate terms were, and instead of seeing info, just by clicking the sig link, I applied to the program. .
    I have never had that problem!

I don't see how can it be possible to auto apply or join any merchant just by clicking on any link here on ABW or anywhere else, unless maybe you're reading ABW while still logged to that other place on the background.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Maybe I'm wrong, but when we see a sig link like this, hotsellingwidgetsdotcom, we should be able to click it to see some info, and not to automatically apply. If the AM or OPM thinks that having this type of a link in their sig is a good idea, then at least say that clicking=applying.
    I don't think that having that type of link is a good idea neither, but just like you say, if at least they will say so on the page before you click on those links, maybe they would look more honest about their new link destination.

That's one on the reason that 99% of the times, I would never click on any other password requireed place, while I am still logged in to any password requireed place.

I will not going to exactly call it like this:
    But, I can easily say, it can be viewed as borderline by some of us.

Something for others to thing about!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    A lot of times, they also don't have just a link to their site - so I can see what it looks like

As Scoot said, I get to the signup page

I ignore it

have to log into SAS

search for the merchant

and then... what is it... 3 clicks later... get a link to their website

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It'd be irksome and chase me away from that merchant.

But, above that, I have this question: How is the autoapply link able to get all the information needed to enroll someone into the program?

That's what concerns me. Were you (like Sal said) already logged into their network? I'm wondering if they have some kind of script running that can scrape your info right off your own computer without your permission? This phenomenon sounds like it could be a serious breach of privacy!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I didn't think it was that big a deal. As I posted earlier I thought that I had clicked the wrong link in the sig. The AM had just made an announcement about a new product line and it looked like something a friend of mine had been looking for. I clicked the link to get more info on the products but had no intention of joining their program because it just didn't fit any of my sites.

I wasn't currently logged in to SaS but had probably been there recently and SaS tends to keep me logged in for a while after I leave the site. It prop ably would have asked me to login if I hadn't visited SaS first and that would have been my tip-off that this wasn't what I wanted to do (I'd test it now but I really don't want to join again).

I e-mailed the AM and PMed him and as it turned out the AM was pretty helpful in suggesting some additional products that my friend would be interested in and gave me some ideas for a future site.

So, as I said, it was no big deal, but I can see how some people may find it a bit intrusive.

-rematt

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    It'd be irksome and chase me away from that merchant.

But, above that, I have this question: How is the autoapply link able to get all the information needed to enroll someone into the program?

That's what concerns me. Were you (like Sal said) already logged into their network? I'm wondering if they have some kind of script running that can scrape your info right off your own computer without your permission? This phenomenon sounds like it could be a serious breach of privacy!
    Both times, they were SAS merchants, and as Mr. Sal said, I was also loged in to SAS.

I imagine that if I were not loged in, the click would have gone to a SAS log in, but if you then loged in, probably then to the same auto-apply. I don't think the member would be that dastardly to have it coded to scrape such personal info from your computer.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Ah, good.

There's enough crazy stuff on the net that I had to wonder...

The sig in question (same sig for both merchants - no, I didn't realize I was doing the same thng the second time untill it was too late) is that of a well-respected OMP and moderator and the merchants are at SAS.
    No excuse for these well-respected to do something like this.

Let me guess, their answer will be.
    A- I did not know.
    B- I was testing.

Taking bets for A or B....

I didn't think it was that big a deal.
    Then what is the difference between this an unsolicited calls or emails? Take for example, you call Joe's Commercial plumbing for info. Next day, you are in their member call list and you get sales calls, emails and whatever crap that they want to throw at you to generate a sale?

I understand that you might have a good experience but this would just taint the industry and boaderline "deceiving" practices of AM and OPM to grow their affiliate base?
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

http and a telephoto
    I just went to Shareasale and logged in as an affiliate, then came back here and clicked a sign up page link to a merchant, and it took me to the sign up page, and did not enroll me right in the program. So being logged in before clicking a Shareasale info page link *shouldn't* enroll you in a Shareasale program. To be sure, I will be changing the links in my own sig to pages that exist on my site with a second link to the Shareasale page over the next 48 hours.

I didn't test being logged into CJ or LS and clicking an info page for any of their merchants.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread