Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    The Swamp
    Online Sales Strong For The Holiday Season

NEW YORK (AP) - Online holiday sales, helped by free shipping offers, are turning out to be robust, according to several preliminary reports released Monday, providing a bright spot in an otherwise mediocre shopping season.

The double-digit percentage increases at online retailers far outstripped the slim increases estimated for sales in stores. After a better-than expected surge after Thanksgiving, sales at stores were disappointing throughout the season, despite aggressive discounting.

"Compared to an anemic holiday season (at stores,) this was a terrific holiday season for online retailers," said Ken Cassar, senior analyst at Jupiter Research.

But Cassar warned that given that free shipping was an important driver of online sales, he is worried about companies' profits. He added that it will be hard for online retailers to wean themselves away from free shipping and handling, and consequently, they may have to increase prices as an alternative.

"Retailers that want to offer free shipping will have to make a difficult choice between increases in sales and in profit margins."

Jupiter Research announced Monday that e-commerce sales will exceed its original forecast of $13.1 billion, which would represent growth of more than 17 percent from the year-ago period, based on early reports from online retailers.

Now, Jupiter Research anticipates a 20 percent to 24 percent gain for the holiday 2002 season, which was from Nov. 1 through Dec. 31. It is expected to release final numbers in March.

A separate report from Nielsen/NetRatings, Goldman Sachs and Harris Interactive said that online spending jumped more than 24 percent to $13.7 billion, from Nov. 2 through Dec. 27, up from $11 billion in the year-ago period. That was in line with projections for sales increases in the low 20 percent range.

The company based its data on surveys with a total of 9,000 online shoppers during the holiday period.

ComScore Networks Inc., which captures buying activity from a cross section of 1.5 million Internet users, said that online sales were up 20 percent to anywhere from $9.7 billion to $9.8 billion during the Nov. 1 to Dec. 31 period, according to preliminary reports.

According to's final holiday revenue tally, which was released late last month, online sales were up 23 percent to $7.92 billion from Nov. 25 through Dec. 25, compared with the comparable year-ago period. The shopping comparison site, which also tracks consumer spending across 2,000 Web sites, had forecast a 24 percent gain.

All holiday sales figures exclude the travel category.

This holiday season, 140 retailers offered free shipping deals, about 30 percent more than last year, according to also found that 39 percent of holiday online purchases were influenced by free shipping deals.

Michael P. Niemira, vice president of Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi Ltd., expects that sales at stores open at least a year, known as same-store sales, will be up only 1.5 percent for the November and December period. That would be the weakest increase since the same-store index started tracking the figures in 1970.

Same-store sales are considered the best indicator of a retailer's health.

The bulk of brick and mortar retailers will be reporting their December sales on Thursday.

In the online world, analysts are closely monitoring, the bellwether of online retailing, to see whether its aggressive free shipping and discounting will affect gross profit margins in the fourth quarter.

The online seller of books, apparel, DVDs and other items has projected net sales in the period to be between $1.3 billion and $1.4 billion, a 19 to 28 percent growth from the year ago period. The company expects a pro forma operating profit of between $70 million and $95 million. is slated to report fourth-quarter results on Jan. 23.

Meanwhile,, a privately held online jewelry site, said that it expects fourth-quarter sales to be up 78 percent, well exceeding its projections for growth in the 40 percent to 50 percent range.

"This was a breakout year for online jewelry," said John Baird, a company spokesman.

Not everyone was pleased with results.

Online company 1-800 said Monday that it anticipates achieving earnings of 11 cents per share in its fiscal second quarter, which includes the holiday period and ended Dec. 29. That's below analysts' projections for a 15 cents per share.

The company also expects to generate sales of $197 million, below the anticipated $203 million. However, Jim McCann, the company's chief executive, said that profit margins improved to 45 percent from 43 percent in the year-ago period.

McCann acknowledged that 1-800 Flowers should have done more aggressive marketing, including more advertising, particularly with its business clients, to increase sales.

"On a relative basis, we did very well, but we would have liked to have done better," said McCann.

Publicly traded retailer, which sells discounted designer apparel, expects fourth-quarter sales to be in line with the more than 20 percent growth expected, but Pat Barry, chief financial officer, said that the company's goal of close to breaking even for the period will be "a challenge."

While sales at in November and December were strong, revenues were slow in October, stymied by new technology installed on its Web site, Barry said.

So how did everyone compare with the industry figures? Did you see a 20% increase? I wonder what % increase the parasite's saw?

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Minus the parasite thievery in full bloom for the entire Christmas shopping season these figures would have given us a 25% pay raise this year. I'm sure the network executives could confirm that their top 10 B-a-HO's showed at least a 50-70% jump in income over the prior quarter and prior year.

This automatically triggers the brain dead AM's into thinking their choice of "incent" parnetships is paying off dearly, since they do not have to fess up about the impact of hijacking or double dipping to the actual merchant's management.

I overcame the dismal performance of ZERO sales merchants like 1-800Flowers & GiftTree & eHobbies by tripling the exposure and clicks to 4 parasite free merchants out of my pool of 345. Now my only hope for 2003 for these other 340 merchants is that their sponsoring Ad-nausium popup hell holes like WhenU and eBates will not drive real consumers into installing millions of Ad blocker applications.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> GiftTree <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For once I agree on your assessment of a merchant. They suck.

One thing about it, they're unaffected by parasites. It's hard to parasitize off of sales that weren't happening anyway, LOL!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

15 years and counting
    For once I don't agree 100% with Leader about GiftTree. Do they suck, Yes.
    Do I like them? Not really.
    They are spamming the search engines with thousand of their own web sites all linked together. I think they are trying to compete with their own affiliates. They have been studying our web sites to learn how to rank well in SE. They have cut the cookies duration, they have cut the commission rate, they have increase the number of leaks on their sites (look at All Wine Baskets and others)...
    They had several bad affiliate managers who get us in trouble with their management.(including the one who post on ABW for a while)
    Now, they have a pretty decent lady and she's doing what she can. I've never seen her on this board.
    The good part is, they can convert under the right circonstances. I'm doing OK with them and it must infuriate their management. (I've never had a bonus)

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread