Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Talking Unique affiliate programs question
    What, in your opinion, makes for an excellent affiliate program?

What attracts you and makes you instantly want to sign up?

ABW Ambassador
    imo, Unique & RX are mutually exclusive.

It was a general question.

First and foremost with me is that it MUST be with a trusted network.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    First and foremost with me is that it MUST be with a trusted network.

-rematt
    Since Linkshare and CJ have shown time and again that they cannot be trusted, that would indicate that you don't affiliate with them. Somehow I doubt that's true. Seems to me your post is just a dig at the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Since Linkshare and CJ have shown time and again that they cannot be trusted, that would indicate that you don't affiliate with them. Somehow I doubt that's true. Seems to me your post is just a dig at the OP.
    No dig intended.

The question was for an excellent program not a program I would or wouldn't join. In a perfect world....

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary

What attracts you and makes you instantly want to sign up?
    There is no such thing. It all depends on site needs and traffic generated and conversion of the merchant and a gazillion other factors.

Obvious factors are trust of the tracking and will the merchant pay. Both of which can be addressed by being in the right network. Then, there is the will it convert question.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary
    What, in your opinion, makes for an excellent affiliate program? What attracts you and makes you instantly want to sign up?

Yep Mary, the question is a general question, so specific answers would be difficult. But I think some basic things apply - like *it is offered through a good network or a trusted indy. *the fit of your traffic with the products / services offered by the merchant is strong * the merchant site is effective *commission rate and length of return days are good *responsiveness of AM, OPM, merchant etc is timely and helpful.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thumbs up Research
    Word of mouth may work best; however hard facts will always determine if a program will work for you. There are a lot of factors that go into what will make for a successful program for each affiliate. I am not going to plug a name but if you go to mediapost and poke around a little, you will find that there are companies that an affiliate can enlist to provide specifics on what affiliate program will work best. Another approach would be to build a turn key program from the ground up, tailoring it to the vertical of choice.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    In addition to everything that has been said so far, for me and the way my sites are set up, a merchant is worthless to me unless they offer individual product links, and, if so available, there must be the ability to pull or build links to every product available on the merchant site, not just products selected by the merchant as those that I should offer, leaving unavailable the product I feel I should offer.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    1. at least 30 return days
    2. at least 5% commission on every product on the site.
    3. no games with links (such as encouraging customers to contact merchant by phone because link isn't working or product isn't available)
    4. individual product links (I also want to make my own) of every product on site.
    5. good consistent photographs of products. Clear, attractive images, in consistent sizes, large and small.
    6. detailed product descriptions (so I can write and optimize my own)
    6. minimal customer returns.
    7. prompt payment
    8. professional looking website

Thumbs up Advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    1. at least 30 return days
    3. no games with links (such as encouraging customers to contact merchant by phone because link isn't working or product isn't available)
    4. individual product links (I also want to make my own) of every product on site.
    5. good consistent photographs of products. Clear, attractive images, in consistent sizes, large and small.
    6. detailed product descriptions (so I can write and optimize my own)
    6. minimal customer returns.
    7. prompt payment
    8. professional looking website
    That is awesome advice Aunt Liliy!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    In addition to everything that has been said so far, for me and the way my sites are set up, a merchant is worthless to me unless they offer individual product links, and, if so available, there must be the ability to pull or build links to every product available on the merchant site, not just products selected by the merchant as those that I should offer, leaving unavailable the product I feel I should offer.
    So true as merchant AM's often get fed, and pass on, just the junk the merchants want to clear from inventory.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Question Please clarify
    So are you saying there are programs from merchants that do not have individual product links?

Quote Originally Posted by stellarseller
    So are you saying there are programs from merchants that do not have individual product links?
    Absolutely!
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Thumbs up Unbelievable
    Absolutely!
    I find that to be totally unacceptable. I did not realize that there were merchants that did not provide these individual links to products. It seems that if this did not exist, it would not promote the product effectively as you have made clear. Prior to promoting a product with a merchant, I guess the details are in fine print eh? If they do not provide a link to product, in most cases or actually all cases do they allow you to create such a link then if it is not provided? In other words, can we create such a link if no link cirrently exists? I appreciate the clarification on this since I have only been dealing with merchants who do provide a specific link to product.

Quote Originally Posted by stellarseller
    I find that to be totally unacceptable. I did not realize that there were merchants that did not provide these individual links to products. It seems that if this did not exist, it would not promote the product effectively as you have made clear. Prior to promoting a product with a merchant, I guess the details are in fine print eh? If they do not provide a link to product, in most cases or actually all cases do they allow you to create such a link then if it is not provided? In other words, can we create such a link if no link cirrently exists? I appreciate the clarification on this since I have only been dealing with merchants who do provide a specific link to product.
    The answer to everything is "it depends".

The basic question, is which network is the merchant on?

1. CJ. Their merchant info tells you if a merchant has product links before you sign up. If they do not provide product links, I have yet to find one that will let you build your own that they will track.

2. LS. Their merchant info usually will say if they provide product links, but I have joined several merchants there that had product links listed as available, but once a member, I found they did not have them. Again, LS merchants will not let you build your own and track them, if they do not have the ind. product link set-up through the LS interface.

3. SAS. They do not show in advance of joining if they have product links available, but every SAS merchant that I have joined that offers retail products, automatically shows up in the "Create a Custom Link to a Page" section, so you can build your own, and I have yet to see a tracking problem.

4. PFX. The majority of merchants do not tell you before joining if they have product links available, and if they do not have BYOL available, you cannot get individual product llinks.

Of course, indies are on a merchant-by-merchant basis.

Also of note is the fact the I have seen many LS merchants that have product links available one day, and gone the next. This can happen at CJ also, but there it is usually part of a merchant upgrade, and they return within a day or two.

ADDENDUM:

If you haven't read any of these threads, here is some info as to what a lot of use have had to put up with where the merchant, in this case Target, refuses to provide the product links they used to have available:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=92645

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=92593

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=88401
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; July 29th, 2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added ADDENDUM

Smile Thank you
    Thanks for the detailed clarification. You have been a big help!

glad to assist.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Now - THIS is what a positive thread looks like!! Congrats gang!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thanks, Alan.

I wanted to go back to the original broader question, and elaborate on one of the points Aunt Lily raised:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    There should be one commission on all products a merchant offers.

There is nothing more cumbersome or deceitful then a merchant whose commission structure is X% on No 1 widgets, Y% on No. 2 widgets, and 1% on Selected Products, and them provides a random list of 50,000 products that are paid a fraction of the commission of the other products, and you would have to sift through this long, long, long, ... list, to see what products this includes.

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Wonderful advice for a newbie like me...thank you. I've wondered alot about which merchants to add and which to run from, and you've given me some good direction.

I have also found helpful information on an individual merchant just by running a search here in the forum to see what folks are saying and what kind of responses show up. It says a lot about a merchant if it has more positives or negatives in various threads.

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Now - THIS is what a positive thread looks like!! Congrats gang!!!
    Thank you Alan...

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    I have also found helpful information on an individual merchant just by running a search here in the forum to see what folks are saying and what kind of responses show up. It says a lot about a merchant if it has more positives or negatives in various threads.
    It's the merchants that have never been discussed here that you have to be leery of.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast