Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Keyword Research Tools
    I've probably brought this up in the past, but I'm sure it's been long enough that the keyword tool landscape has changed some. I know that WordTracker is very good, but it's also extremely expensive and requires a monthly subscription charge which really adds up. So other than WT, what are people's thoughts on great keyword research and manipulation software? Especially those you only have to pay for once; not subscription-based.

I've used Rapid Keyword for a while, and it's always been pretty good especially with its multiple keyword tools. However, the best yielding search in RK out of its several types of searches is the one that accesses the Overture Inventory Tool data, and if you've been to the inventory website lately you'll notice that it now reports keywords only as recent as January 2007. Seems that Yahoo is giving up on this tool since it hasn't been updated in so long (anyone know what's going on with it?).

Are there any others that people swear by? Keywords Analyzer? Something lesser-known? Thanks.

i just signed up for seomoz.org this week....there are some great tools there...they charge for it but so far ive learned a lot and its been well worth it!

here is another one that donuts turned me onto

http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/keywords/

ABW Ambassador
    I use wordtracker, with an annual subscription. I could not imagine writing a webpage without it. To me it's money well spent.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Wordtracker seems to offer all the tools to at least get started building a list of strong keywords. I would suggest, though, that you use what you get there and use your imagination to develop out longer tailed terms.

If you research keywords get an annual subscription. If you are doing one or two projects you can ge a much shorter term subscription and build out our lists before it expires.

ABW Ambassador
    I should have said that I couldn't imagine designing a website without wordtracker. Because it really is more complicated than just throwing a single word or so on a page.

Visitourmall, why can't you use wordtracker on "longer tail terms?"

Although a well designed webpage with the right sales copy, seems to do that naturally. Google sends me lots of 3, 4 and 5 word terms.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I have found Wordtracker provides more basic terms but I may not know all the tools. Does Wortracker have a specific long tail phrase generator that you can feed with basic targeted keywords?

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    ... Does Wortracker have a specific long tail phrase generator that you can feed with basic targeted keywords?
    Rapid Keyword does that, if you use the Overture search with some 2, 3 and higher word phrases. Again though, Overture seems to no longer be updating with fresh data since January.

holmesstamp, thanks for bringing up that digitalpoint tool. I'd forgotten all about it even though it's been in my huge bucket o' bookmarks relating to affiliate marketing. Though it's yet another tool that relies on Overture data, so I'm not sure how effective it will be. It also gets data from WordTracker, but presumably the free version, which is extremely limited in scope. My queries only came up with a few terms on the WordTracker side.

Aunt Lily and visitourmall, thanks for the input. I don't plan on continuously researching keywords since I have lots of other things in life to worry about come September (college starts up again). So it sounds like good advice to get some keyword ideas for all my PPC campaigns together and buy a short-term WT subscription. Get it all done quickly. I should add that my research is almost entirely for PPC campaigns.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread