Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Too many keywords
    This might be a silly question. Other than the time to manage the large volume, is there any downside to using an extraordinarily long list of long tail keywords in PPC campaigns in Google adwords?

Logic would say the more the better but I am new to AM and have worked to develop a very long list of very targeted keywords for a new site we will be launching. But before we start uploading the list of keywords to Google I thought I'd ask for advice.

Thanks for any input.

As far as I understand it, as long as the keywords are targetted to the landing page then the more the merrier. You might find, however, that google has a limit to the number you can input. I've never had that problem but have heard that they have restrictions.

Sue.

Maybe I can ask this more simply. Has anyone maxed out when entering Google adwords for one specific campaign? Is there an upper limit in their database that anyone knows of?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm aware of an agency in the UK with 6 million phrases.

There is a firm in the Midwest with well over 10 million.

All major platforms will accommodate an advertisers needs depending on how much the advertiser will spend.

Your account rep can help you.

Mr. Mackin
    mackin@makemetop.com

By default:

A Google "ad group" can contain a maximum of 2,000 keywords.
    A Google "campaign" can contain a maximum of 100 ad groups.
    A Google "account" can contain a maximum of 25 campaigns.

25 x 100 x 2,000 = 5,000,000 (5 million) keywords.

I have been told that Google can adjust these limits (at least the number of campaigns in an account), but Google has not done this for me, forcing me to open multiple accounts for some clients (technically this is against Google's policies, but the support staff have repeatedly told me it is OK if it is not done to circumvent other Google policies).

Normally, you should NOT load an ad group with a large number of unrelated keywords, but instead you should have separate ad groups associated with a narrow group of closely-related keywords, with matching ad text and matching landing-page text. (This is especially important if you are running ads on the Content Network.)

In the past (more than 18 months ago) I did run some test campaigns with 1,200 to 2,000 keywords (that's how I learned of the limit), and quickly learned that this was not an effective strategy. (Note that the AdWords system starts issuing warning messages when you have many hundreds of keywords in a single ad group.)

With the AdWords Editor, you can easily import a large number of separate ad groups and keywords with no more effort than lumping them all into a single ad group.

I believe that for low-volume keywords, Google looks beyond the history of the specific keyword, to the history of the ad group and/or campaign to predict CTR, and ad groups with large numbers of keywords tend to have very low CTR, which will impact average position and traffic.

Mark, thanks for the reply. Hopefully you won't mind answering another related question then.

We have worked for a couple weeks developing a list of long tail search terms. For example (not the real list or category):

New York Times
    New York Times subscription
    Get New York Times subscription
    Get deals on New York Times subscription
    get deals on New York Times subscription online
    etc., etc.,

Then replaced the get with other pertinent alternatives, replaced deals with other words, added adjectives where applicable. Anyway, when we were done we have 1300 long tail terms. Then we looked for words that might be misspelled. When we took all that into consideration we literally had a few hundred thousand terms all that seemed might reasonably be searched for at some point.

Then we looked at the different products under the overall umbrella. There are more than 500 of them. So, when we do the math we have 200,000 possible terms times 500 products and you get 10,000,000 searchable phrases.

Are we wasting our time going down this path? If you are right in your last post we couldn't upload this many terms anyway. Logic told us this was the best path to develop a long tail keyword strategy.

Your opinion?

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    You might want to implement part of that campaign to see how far down you actually get traffic and conversions.

Like start one product with all the alternatives you were thinking of. I would even make sure it is one of the more popular keywords.

Some of your possibilities probably never get typed even though they sound ok. Or they can be shown with a phrase match type pattern (The "" [] plain keyword matching)

If you can eliminate half of your possibilities and maybe even some of your products it gets more manageable.

Remember you still have to get a decent quailty score even if you implement this monster list.

What andbeyond said and....

Don't be surprised to see a 50,000 word limit on day one, and I'm not sure how fast they will up the limit any more. The limit probably depends on what you spend as mentioned above.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread