Confused about Adsense Earnings
    I just started using Adsense on my sites a couple of weeks ago. My "earnings" will fluctuate everyday as opposed to just going up. Am I confused about how Adsense works? I thought you got paid a certain amount for each click. I am 'earning' money and then the next day, my earnings will be lower than they were. Does the amount per click change even on previous clicks that Google has already told you you earned x-amount for?

Each time you log in, it'll show you what you have earned for that day.

There's a drop down below "Today's Earnings" that's titled "View", and there you can select a different time period (e.g. Since Last Payment).

Hi Rick, thanks for your reply. I am talking about when I look at "Total Earnings". Since I've only been with them for two weeks, that would be for those last two weeks only. My "Total Earnings" for today will be lower than they were yesterday.
    ??

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DesignST
    Hi Rick, thanks for your reply. I am talking about when I look at "Total Earnings". Since I've only been with them for two weeks, that would be for those last two weeks only. My "Total Earnings" for today will be lower than they were yesterday.
    ??
    You have to first make a selection from "Choose Date Range" then click "Display report", otherwise all you get is the amount for the current day.

Choose "This Month - July" to see all earnings for this month.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Online Marketing Consultant
    Yes the amount can and will change even on the same ad as the cost to the adwords advertiser will change with each click as well. On the adwords side, you do not get a constant charge per click, but rather an average cost per click....I would assume that that goes into Adsense as well.

As for being paid on each click, I don't think it pays for each click but rather on clicks vs. traffic vs. possibly what the person clicking does etc.... There is more than likely an algorithm that is used to determine what a valid click and paid click is. Someone else can answer that one better.

The amount you make each day can and will fluctuate as well as you do not really have control over the traffic going to your site. Also, just because you have a high traffic day, does not mean the people are going to be clicking on your adsense. It is the same with affiliate links. Just because you have traffic on a page with the links, it doesn't mean that they will click, it doesn't mean they will buy, and it also depends on if that is what the traffic was looking for as well as how relevent the product or link is to what the visitor was looking for.

Hope that helps =0)
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Augment your Adsense text block Ads with Adsense banner and video Ads. Then put on your thinking cap and add in some Google PPA Ads where you earn on sales ...not clicks. No affiliate network or verified PPA tracking merchant can manipulate the conversion results. Problem is few of the PPA merchants are anything but small part-time online merchants. They know nothing of using haigh conversion tlanding pages thinking the Google PPA program is just a branding campaign. The real affiliate enable merchant pros don't participate as they can't fudge the results with filtered batch reports (ie: all sales over $300) and all their regular BHO partners, and point of sale attack couponers setting regular network cookies, they get double dipped.

Huge tip. Never put up a Google PPA adsense Ad for any merchant who have regular network couponers and BHO partnerships. Basically Google knows the evil forced cookie forces and POS attack dogs will ruin their "do no evil" Google PPA beta with cookie stuffing games. They can't stuff Google PPA cookies but the stuffers will script the setting of regular network merchants from their MFA adsense pages.

I doubt the Google Gods will get control of the herds of ferral affiliate fat cats abusing all the existing systems. So just pick some niche Google PPA merchant advertisers who take the time to upload meaningful banners and landing pages and enjoy the rewards of high conversion ratios on targeted traffic on a PPA basis.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by DesignST
    ??
    My hunch is that if you are seeing paid clicks "disappear" retroactively, you are generating traffic which Google is excluding as "non-chargeable" and/or potentially fraudulent. They have a series of algorithms which they run to identify clicks which should not be charged, and those are removed from both advertiser and publisher reports.

If you are seeing this happen consistently and it is significant, you should probably expect a termination letter soon.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    My hunch is that if you are seeing paid clicks "disappear" retroactively, you are generating traffic which Google is excluding as "non-chargeable" and/or potentially fraudulent. ....If you are seeing this happen consistently and it is significant, you should probably expect a termination letter soon.
    I think I must have explained the issue really badly in my post, but MarkWelch understood what I was saying. Yes, I am seeing paid clicks 'disappear'. Say I have $100 "Total Earnings" one day (and that would be total because I have only been with them for two weeks), the next day I am seeing $97 "Total Earnings". I understand my paid clicks won't be the same each day, but they are taking away money day by day Google already said I earned.

Being canceled is what I was worried about. I read the Program Policies at Adsense as well as posts on this forum before I joined, so I know not to click my own ads and I'm not. And no one knows I have Adsense on my site, so it's not someone I know doing it.

I don't know what to do to convince them of this... The ads are simple links at the top of articles I wrote myself, original content. I have affiliate links (links only) for Amazon and eBay and image links for BedBath on the same page. I have edited the html on the pages in FrontPage trying to make the Adsense ads more relevant, so I am racking up 'impressions' myself on the pages, but I didn't know that was a problem.

Thanks for all the replies, and Ecomcity, thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll have to learn about those options (if I don't get canceled ).
    Last edited by DesignST; July 30th, 2007 at 02:27 PM.

If the reduction is 3% "total", you probably don't need to worry too much about it; if it's 10% or more, you should probably worry and you might even contact Google AdSense support to ask for advice. (Note that when you say your all-time total was $100 yesterday and $97 today, it may be that this represents just $10 earned yesterday which was adjusted down by $3, which would be a 30% change.)

You might also check your log files (run an analysis program with IP lookup) to see if there are "rogue bots" that might be generating bad clicks -- you might be able to set up IP blocking to stop those bots, or you might be able to report them to Google so they are excluded immediately, and not detected in "cleanup" afterwards.

I just made up those numbers to make it easier to explain, but I will check on that 30% rule on the real numbers and check the IP's if necessary.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    You might also check your log files (run an analysis program with IP lookup) to see if there are "rogue bots" that might be generating bad clicks
    Yes, very much so. I almost got banned from adsense because some low life site scraper was stealing all of my content and generating clicks while doing it. It was actually an easy process, I emailed Google my logs and banned the IP for the bot. Problem solved.

But I do know what you are talking about in the $$ drop. It happens. If I look at "today" it's one amount, the next day I look at "yesterday" and it isn't always the same. It usually isn't much or often, but then again I don't check that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    But I do know what you are talking about in the $$ drop. It happens. If I look at "today" it's one amount, the next day I look at "yesterday" and it isn't always the same. It usually isn't much or often, but then again I don't check that often.
    Relieved to hear it's happened to someone else and it's just usually small amounts. I'm only making small amounts as it is, but I didn't want to take the time to code more pages and find out they can just take chunks of earned money for some strange rule in the small print.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread