Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Heading out for a few days to chase Trout.
    Ellen and I are grabbing our fly rods, tent camper and camera and heading out to chase some trout for a few days, so I'll be offline until at least Friday A.M.

We're headed to Eleven Mile Canyon near Lake George, CO., a great stretch of the South Platte river that winds through a beautiful / scenic / colorful canyon. It holds an abundance of quality rainbow, cutthroat and brown trout, and scenery that makes you appreciate the wonders of creation.

Everyone have a great week!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

You lucky son of a gun!!

But wait.... I am going fishing (both fly- and spinning) in a few days too!! Hooooray!! You're not the only one, Alan!

Have fun, pal. Have fun!!

Geno

PS: If Ellen has a chance to shoot a picture of you fighting it'd be nice to see one.

BTW, I like that "Trout" spelled from a capital "T" in your thread's title...

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    I'm so jealous! You guys have a great time

I'll be thinking of you while I'm bailing hay this week in 90 degree temps, lol

Post pics when you get back!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Seattle's on your way there, right? I think you should swing by and take me with you.

Seriously tho', have a great time!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Alan, hope you have have a great time (but of course you will) and look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Don't over chase them...

have fun!!

Hope you have a great time! Hubby and I are on our way to the Mich U.P. in a couple weeks to catch whatever we can with a stick, some string and a safety pin, lol. We'll have to compare pics and stories.

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by $Cleopatra$
    Hubby and I are on our way to the Mich U.P. in a couple weeks to catch whatever we can with a stick, some string and a safety pin, lol. We'll have to compare pics and stories.
    Another fishing fan here? Cool!

Do you fly fish too, Cleo?

Geno

Looking forward to hearing the "fish stories"!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Alan, hope you caught some great ones - looking forward to pics and stories as well.

Heading out myself, tomorrow, for 10-day vacation. Not an unplugged vacation like my last one (whole week, no internet, tv, email or phone), but definitely light and sporadic.

Y'all might want to buy some budwesier and hooters stock, will be hanging out with my brother-in-law in chitown doing our part to stimulate the economy.

Hasta la budweiser.

Alan, did you stack up on Red Bull? LOL!

Anyway, hope you catch some huge ones.
    Alex
    AlexBet.com - Professional Website Design, Website Development, Mobile App Development!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
    Benjamin Franklin

Well, we had a wonderful time camping on the river in 11 Mile Canyon last week and came back refreshed and ready to go.

Our camp spot was ideal, the scenery magnificent as usual, and the trout came around nicely on the second day, once they lowered the flow (CPS) of the river. This section of the Platte river is an 11 mile tailwater (stretch of river below a dam) and with all the snow our mountains got this past winter, there is still a lot of runoff filling reservoirs, so they open more outlets from the dam to discharge extra water. It can really limit your ability to wade a river, and the sudden increased flow also dramatically affects the entomology (hatching of aquatic insects) of the river.

When we got to the river last week, I was shocked to see that the water board had opened the dam above the canyon and increased the flow. Thought we might be out of luck for fishing. I caught a couple fish that day, but it was hard work. But by the second day they had reduced the flow again and trout started hammering the top water - gulping up male flies that had just mated and then dropped "spent" to the surface. What a way to go though!! LOL

All in all one of the best camping trips we've done recently with the weather being perfect every day, and loads of wildlife around. I've included a few pics to share - but you'd have to be there (and have to be someone who appreciates the outdoors) to appreciate how pretty this place is. Hope you enjoy the scenery.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

OMG. That's awesome Alan. Glad you had fun!!!!
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Wow - nice photos Alan. Thanks for taking the time to put them up here!

Looks like a nice Brown you got there, and I can't tell what the other one is with the glare.

There's nothing to beat enjoying the freedom of week away by the water's edge, is there!

Mr. Dart,

The glaring one is a cutthroat. Sorry about the sun screwing up the clarity, but to be honest, taking pictures was not my main priority when there are fishies to be caught (and released). But yep, there is nothing better than borrowing a piece of ground from nature for a few days to enjoy the natural / meaningful gifts that surround us.

I'm going to lay the gauntlet <sic>.

Alan:

We want pictures of:

1) You holding a Dolly Varden
    2.) You holding an Arctic Grayling
    3.) You holding a Skamania Strain Summer Run Rainbow.

Don't come back til you do.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I guess I have to upload my trout avatar! Have a great time!

Glad you had a great time, Alan. After seeing you pics I just decided to drop all plans and head up to our cabin at Crystal Lakes this weekend. I'll be offline and out of touch and chasing some aggressive Tasmanian Rainbows and Cutthroat, maybe a few brookies for supper.
    ~Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Alan:We want pictures of:

1) You holding a Dolly Varden
    2.) You holding an Arctic Grayling
    3.) You holding a Skamania Strain Summer Run Rainbow.
    Kevin,

I have not fished the East Coast or great lakes area in over 40 years, so I can't help you out on the Skamania Steelhead. On Grayling, I have caught a few over the years, including one in 1973 here in Colorado of all places, but can't locate a pic as our home burned down in 1990 and we lost all of our pictures etc.

But on the Dolly Varden you might like a few of these. We caught these in British Columbia a few years ago while chasing Rainbows that were trailing spawning Salmon to feast on their eggs. We caught a bunch that were 30 - 35" each, which is big for Dolly Varden. I'm the bearded guy with the Russian Cossack hat and the young man in the orange ball cap is my oldest son, who also caught the largest Dolly that day, edging his old man out by less than an inch!! Enjoy....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    Glad you had a great time, Alan. After seeing you pics I just decided to drop all plans and head up to our cabin at Crystal Lakes this weekend. I'll be offline and out of touch and chasing some aggressive Tasmanian Rainbows and Cutthroat, maybe a few brookies for supper.
    Good for you Ern!! Glad the pics inspired you to enjoy some quality outdoor time!! Have a blast!!

Awesome pictures, Alan!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Awesome. Those pics remind me of when my dad used to hike us up to Arrowhead Lake (not to be confused with Lake Arrowhead) in Mammoth Lakes for some excellent trout fishing. One particularly good day, we snagged 17 trout and dad ran out of flies.

*sigh* I need a vacation....
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

As evidenced above, Alan knows his trout. The fact that he nailed the Skamania reference makes him a 1%er. Bow before him, long rod neophytes. Bow before him.

Alan: Thanks for those pics. I need to get to the NW someday. I think I'll be fishing Atlantics in the Penobscot River before that though...
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    As evidenced above, Alan knows his trout. The fact that he nailed the Skamania reference makes him a 1%er. Bow before him, long rod neophytes. Bow before him.

Alan: Thanks for those pics. I need to get to the NW someday. I think I'll be fishing Atlantics in the Penobscot River before that though...
    Ah yes, the Penobscot. Fished it in the 80's with my attorney back then when we lived on the Cape. The Atlantics were awesome indeed. BTW, how are the rainbow trout in NY doing with Whirling disease? Have the restock programs been effective?

Here in CO, it has helped the rainbow population tremendously, as has making catch and release a rule on more waterways. Generally the different strains of Rainbows become immune once they reach about 12". There are also some early reports from DOW indicating that offspring of the immune fish might be beginning to develop resistance to it. Just curious if you have heard / read anything about it in NY. Of course, now we all have to deal with the New Zealand mud Snails.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast