Thumbs down Tip from merchant?
    I got this from a LS merchant. Is that merchant distributing false info?

I am not sure if this is a LS managed, in house or OPM but somebody needs to tell that person that Google's text links are out performing their banner links.

TIP 2

Banners typically perform better than text links, since they attract more attention. Just avoid placing too many banners on the same page, as they distract the attention of your visitors, negatively affecting the click-through ratio and your commission payments.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sounds like the merchant is more interested in branding than sales. I bet those banners have the company name prominently displayed.

I wonder if they have a 800# on those banner?
    You should see the other tips,
    "put up big banners"

lol

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Interestingly, I believe that info is based more on the 88 x 31 logo sized banners rather than the larger ones. When we review data provided by the networks it seems like those images are always credited with producing some of the best results.

Reasons might vary but in our model those images are certainly helpful.

Hmm, after all these years I thought text links did better...

Seriously, in my programs, text links do much better than banners. Banners are good as supplemental ads but not as the main pre-sell on a page. People don't come to your site to see banners but, while they are there, a well placed banner may catch their eye.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    "Banners typically perform better than text links, since they attract more attention."

Well that's BS. Probably what Rhea said, more interested in branding.

That quote says "tip 2" what other words of wisdom did they have?

Yeah, I'm dying to see what tip #3 is.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Tip #3 - Don't listen to clueless merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Tip #3 - Don't listen to clueless merchants.
    Or merchants with their own agenda.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    I agree - in my experience and in the experience of anyone I've talked to in the biz, text links have always outperformed banners in regard to both Clicks and conversion.

Like others I always recommend to affiliates that they supplement their textual content and text links with banners because it draws the eye to the content you wish your visitors to pay attention to and be motivated to click thru on, but stats have proven time and again over the years that consumers online are more likely to click a text link than a banner ad.

Curious - is this merchant who gave you the tip, running a program for a retailer w/ a strong offline brand? I'd imagine that for those companies whose main online objective is to drive more traffic to the Brick-and-Mortar stores, that banners would be a key component of that strategy because like someone else already said, they aid in brand awareness & recognition.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Interestingly, I believe that info is based more on the 88 x 31 logo sized banners rather than the larger ones. When we review data provided by the networks it seems like those images are always credited with producing some of the best results.

Reasons might vary but in our model those images are certainly helpful.
    In my experiene 88x31's produce well on directory style sites (virtual malls, or other types of site offering a wide variety of things by category, etc.) but that's kinda where it ends in my experience.

Due to popular demand, here are some of their other tips.

USEFUL TIP 3

Remember, that larger size banners attract more attention, generate more visitors/leads, and as a result, increase your commission payments.

USEFUL TIP 4

Install <<Merchant name removed>> banner on the main entrance page of your website. Also, placing <<Merchant name removed>> banner on multiple pages, on the right hand side and closer to the top of the page can dramatically increase the click-through ratio, positively affecting the number of your referrals, and, as a result, your commission payments.

This is hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ske9963
    Due to popular demand, here are some of their other tips.

USEFUL TIP 3

Remember, that larger size banners attract more attention, generate more visitors/leads, and as a result, increase your commission payments.

USEFUL TIP 4

Install <<Merchant name removed>> banner on the main entrance page of your website. Also, placing <<Merchant name removed>> banner on multiple pages, on the right hand side and closer to the top of the page can dramatically increase the click-through ratio, positively affecting the number of your referrals, and, as a result, your commission payments.
    Useful tip 5

Remove the "affiliate number" from the banner code. This will reduce the file size which helps decrease banner load time and increase click through ratios.
    Last edited by David Carter; July 31st, 2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: To add jester smiley in case anyone thought I was being serious :)
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    That's because people like me, who use that small "logo banner" on our "list of merchants page"...

use its underlying link for most of our affiliate links on our "merchant page" - the detail page the 88x31 leads to

I have found that big flashy banners are great if you want to catch the attention of your mother or grandmother with 1" thick bifocals who are far from internet gurus(speaking from experience).
    When it comes to the general public though, I also agree that text links are your best bet, but adding a small 88x31 here or there may not hurt either.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread