Content and Article Marketing sites
    Is it worth using any of those article sites (such as articlecity.com)?

I am considering using a few of these sites to create another website - but I am concerned of the possibility of duplicate content that would be out on the net. I also considered purchasing an article or 2 (or more) to assure unique content - to keep the search engines happy.

Is this a waste of time & money ?? Do any of you have any experience with this???

ABW Ambassador
    I am not really sure if duplicate content is frowned upon by the search engines or not but I avoid using it just to remove all doubt. Why risk it - and pay for the honour too? All you need to know about article writing you probably learned in high school...
    Last edited by CanadianDave; July 31st, 2007 at 03:41 PM.

The search engines index a LOT of duplicate content. Don't be afraid of using it. However, I wouldn't risk it with an already established site generating revenue, but what do you have to lose with a brand new one? Give it a try! Thats the only way you will know.

Duplicate content is an issue, but more to the point is user value. If you are thinking about just republishing articles that people have seen 1,000 times before then you aren't giving your users any value. If you are organizing articles in interesting ways, or if you are editing the articles to make them better or more informative, or adding value in any way, then you might have a decent business plan.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Duplicate content is a huge issue. Big G hates it and looks for it and you can wind up in Google jail for it. We learned the hard way when an employee of ours wrote three long pages of content based on info he read on a competitor's site. Wasn't smart enough to re word it. We lost our PR for exactly 60 days and with it our placement on all our keywords.

Learned that lesson. Now we check all content to make sure its original and unique to us.

We've never used outside services to write content because we always figured we should know more about our industry than freelancers.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Duplicate content is a huge issue. Big G hates it and looks for it and you can wind up in Google jail for it. We learned the hard way when an employee of ours wrote three long pages of content based on info he read on a competitor's site. Wasn't smart enough to re word it. We lost our PR for exactly 60 days and with it our placement on all our keywords.
    A question on this.

The website I'm building, has lots and lots of content.Though a lot of the content can be found elsewhere on the web. Some websites that come up, actually duplicate each other. I'm not trying to duplicate, trying to change the wording in places it makes sense, but some parts are very similar, could that wind me up in google jail?

The short answer is it depends. How much are you changing it? How much is copy and paste? It really has to be original not to be duplicate content, but to put a percentage on that, I don't know if that's possible...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

No one knows for sure what Google will or won't do. But I can tell you we get slapped for 3 pages on a 700 page site - lost all PR and our ranking. Interesting we regained almost our exact placement 60 days later so it was obvious we had been placed in jail.

I need to tell you the content in question tested out at 75% duplication which was extraordinarily excessive. We now test all content and only allow a select few people create it.

ABW Ambassador
    Ouch! I'm really going to have to knuckle down then, and try to really change things around a lot more. There are parts that do look copy and pasted, but it is hard, looking up information on 5 or 6 different websites, and trying not to be similar to any of them. Guess it is good I'm not too far along, and was already planning on redoing everything, so good timing I found this thread!

I need to tell you the content in question tested out at 75% duplication which was extraordinarily excessive. We now test all content and only allow a select few people create it.
    So the 3 pages, out of the 700, were 75% duplication? Wow, and what tools do you use to test content for duplication?

Here are two tools:

http://www.dupecop.com/duplicate-content-checker.php

http://www.webconfs.com/similar-page-checker.php

For what you are doing dupecop may work well for you.

And yes it was just 3 pages. We contacted Google continually and then finally found a friend of a friend who told us to look at those three pages.

When we searched for dup content I was floored at how similar it was.

http://copyscape.com is a nice resource

ABW Ambassador
    Dupecop is great! Since nothing is live yet, needed something I could copy and paste too. Results weren't as bad as I thought either. 51.6, 49.4, 60, 65.3, and 62.3 percent unique compared to the websites I've been getting information from. I only copied the actual articles, not the rest of the text on the pages.

Think I'll try to get it up higher across the board to be safe during my rewrites. Thanks for the resouces. I'll bookmark the other two sites, Mack and visitourmall.

Copyright issues?
    Wow, I can't believe that you guys are talking about just putting up duplicate content or changing the wording a little bit. I'm assuming that the articles you are referring to are copyright free? I hope so.

But still, you've all got brains, so use them. If you are new to a subject, read 3-5 online articles and then summarize (DON"T COPY) the relevant information to give your users soemthing new and useful that is of value.

If you don't provide value to your users & surfers they won't come back, they won't respect you and they won't purchase anythign from you.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread