ABW Ambassador
    Is SEO just a lot of common sense?
    I've been reading a lot about SEO.. and some of it just seems like common sense.

Title of webpage, name it right! With the keyword (if it fits).

Headings? Put the keyword there too (if it fits).

Content? Mention your keywords in it! Don't over do it, and just put them in where they belong.

I know, I'm putting it in very simple terms, but that all seems like what someone would do when building a good website. And forgetting about meta tags, links, etc.. and just focusing on the above, I think I'm in really good shape, because I'm building a website that will be really really high on content. Plan to put the keyword for that page in the title (pages will have different topics and keywords), head it correctly, and mention the keyword and phrases, where it fits too. Won't try to force it, I want it to be well written!

So, that just seems too easy. Am I missing something in that regard?

Although, I read similar and/or duplicate content can hurt your SE ranting, and I'm pulling info off five different websites (most likely more), and you can only say the same thing in so many different ways, LOL.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    So, that just seems too easy. Am I missing something in that regard?
    You're missing a lot - and some things that aren't at all easy...

keyword research, site structure, navigation and linking schemes, natural growth of backlinks... people have written lengthy books that need frequent updating and still not nearly covered it all...

your homework begins with this assignment:
    http://www.seobook.com/buy-now.shtml

remember, scarcity of good positions on high volume keywords combined with very active and aggressive competition, means you have to polish your skills and invest a lot of time in executing them to hope to compete even on a mediocre level.

CPA Network Rep
    Pretty much!
    I think you're right. When you're doing legitimate white hat SEO I think it is pretty much simple stuff. Naturally it will take time to get the rankings you want though.

As the web gets more crowded I'd bet that grouping fewer KWs per page is probably more important than ever, particularly if you're in crowded niche. When there are tons of pages on a topic, the ones with the most specific relationship to the search will rank the best.

I think SEO consultants can be helpful though (if they are legit). There must be advanced, specific white hat tactics out there. Not that I know any!
    And there must be a lot of gray hat areas where the techniques wouldn't be approved of by the SEs but the technique may work for a while under the radar.

I wish you good luck!

Focus onpage+offpage optimazion.
    backlinks still the main factor make you site appear on top position of SE

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    You're missing a lot - and some things that aren't at all easy...
    Oh yeah, I didn't mean SEO was simple. Just in the three things I mentioned, those things seemed like something someone would do, building a good website to begin with.

Maybe it was kind of a silly question, but I was getting sick of just reading, so wanted a human response to something to help my sanity.

Thanks for the link to the book. If you recommend it, it must be good.
    As the web gets more crowded I'd bet that grouping fewer KWs per page is probably more important than ever, particularly if you're in crowded niche. When there are tons of pages on a topic, the ones with the most specific relationship to the search will rank the best.
    Yeah.. each subject or keyword, will have some very detailed specific pages, just for them. Works that way, to build the website. So hoping that will help!

The more complex stuff, I'll just have to learn and figure out, LOL.

But I am thinking of ways to make the website more "sticky" to. It's on a subject that people would bookmark and visit, or tell friends (I think). Just need to make the website out shine some of the competitors.

Okay.. going to stop ramble.

Edit for new reply.
    Focus onpage+offpage optimazion.
    backlinks still the main factor make you site appear on top position of SE
    I don't quite understand that, but that's why I wasn't asking about all that stuff either. Was just asking about the title, heading, and content. No need to explain that though, I just need to do even more reading. But thank you for pointing out something else I'll need to look up and read up on!

Thanks to y'all three for responding.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Donuts is right. There is LOTS to GOOD SEO.

First and foremost create a site that has a purpose. Make it a site visitors will be glad they found because they find useful information. Give them good relevant content. Put appropriate text links within your content leading to more in depth and additional information on other pages.

Get other relevant sites to partner with you, preferably from a content perspective and not just trading text links.

One thing we have noticed on our main site was that we had diluted PR from pages unnecessarily with too many unnecessary navigaitonal links, so be careful to plan an appropriate linking strategy within your own site.

Obviously research keywords that are relevant AND are searched for. Our main site has a target list of 900 keywords. The top 25 get the most traffic but convert at very low rates. I can not tell you how much low hanging fruit some research can reveal. Optimize for those phrases and you get some strong placement with very targeted traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    I've been reading a lot about SEO.. and some of it just seems like common sense.
    Spot on. All SEO is truly just common sense. Search engines want to reward well thought out site architecture, page and heading names because this is how you should structure and layout a document.

I was going to respond, "absolutely, SEO is just common sense," but then I realized how UNCOMMON this "sense" actually is. And as Donuts notes, there are a lot of "layers" to consider with SEO.

I think it's fair to say that many sites need SEO because they followed some bad examples or instructions: for example, using templates to generate a web site with all pages pre-assigned a title of "MerchantName" or something like that.

Personally, I think that more than HALF of the advice I sell as a consultant is simply "common sense," and less than half is based on special experience or education or analysis. But it turns out that common sense is in very short supply, Out There.

SEO is common sense in what you said (keywords in right places, etc), but researching the right keywords is important, as is making your site compelling enough for other places to want to link to you.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I was going to respond, "absolutely, SEO is just common sense," but then I realized how UNCOMMON this "sense" actually is. And as Donuts notes, there are a lot of "layers" to consider with SEO.
    Yeah, I actually agree with that. I'm just not trying to focus on all the "layers" at once, or I'll go insane.

Thanks y'all for the new responses.

Unless your niche has absolutely no competition, SEO is more about inbound links and less about the common sense stuff. Furthermore, even if your site is the most informative one in your niche, it is still going to be hard work for you to get quality and relevant ones.

Here are two keywords for you to Google:

buying links - If you've got a big budget
    link bait - If you don't

I would agree and disagree, depending on the emphasis:

"Is SEO just a lot of common sense?"

There's quite a bit more to it that isn't obvious.

"Is SEO just a lot of common sense?"

Much of it is common sense, and things that would be a good idea even if there was no SEO benefit.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts

your homework begins with this assignment:
    http://www.seobook.com/buy-now.shtml
    How good is this book? I've bought a couple of SEO books at the local bookstores, but is this THE book to get that will expand upon the basics such as keyword placement and getting links and all?

It's the ONLY book you'll ever need for SEO. One great thing is that you'll get free updates forever with it (and it does get updated regularly).

I'm usually very skeptical of eBooks, because most of them are essentially just scams. This is one of the good ones, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you... I'm thinking I might have to go for it.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread