OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Little Giant Ladder found on Zango Download
    I want to give credit to two advocates who helped me run down a very sensitive and potentially damaging issue with Zango last week. UncleScooter working with Kellie aka Ms. B discovered that our flag ship merchant LittleGiantLadder.com was showing up on the Zango toolbar download.

There was concern that it was coming from a newly launched program with Performics. When I contact the compliance director at Performics he was already investigating the incident and was able to show that it was not coming from their affiliates.

Kellie did a thorough investigation and documented the pop-ups in a video. We added the download on a spare computer and observed several pop-ups triggered by direct URL type-ins to IE. The culprit was an authorized acquisition email marketer who had employed HydraMedia. Someone in the food chain had paid Zango for the campaign.

The result is that the email marketer was removed and we rewarded Kellie by purchasing her service for the next year for all of our merchant accounts.

A secondary benefit is that we documented the extra cost of paid search that had been long suspected. Zango pushes contextual ads in pop-ups that are actual paid ads. If an unsuspecting visitor clicks on those ads you are paying for a click for a direct type in. Credit goes to Donuts who has educated me on this for the last year but this was the first time I have actually seen it.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    Wow great work you guys. Way to keep it clean, Chuck!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Good work!

HydraMedia rogue aff using adware to poach sales, shocking!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Good for everyone - congrats!

What's an "authorized acquisition email marketer"?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    A company that helps Little Giant grow their email list.

Internet Cowboy
    This only goes to show you that the networks do not provide adequate program monitoring support. It is completely up to the merchant or AM to find these people and remove them. This is where Kellie comes in.

As for the additional click costs, it reminds me of something a network person told me during a phone call recently when I asked them about merchants paying commissions to BHOs for direct type ins or traffic coming in from their own PPC links:
    (this is possibly not the direct quote, but portrays the sentiment)

In today's world of multi-channel marketing, merchants are aware that they will pay double for many sales and are OK with that.
    Now, do you think that when this network approaches a new merchant to become their client, they tell them this? I don't either.

Nice job of taking care of this Chuck. I wish I had more confidence in your network choices.

Avantlink rocks!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Someone that was approved to do outbound email marketing, not to build their internal list. There is a difference between acquisition and retention emails.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    UncleScooter working with Kellie aka Ms. B
    Great job! And a nice clean up Chuck

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Good news Chuck. I was wondering over the weekend how things were going on it. Glad to hear you were able to get it resolved even though it wasn't directly related to what you manage. It certainly wasn't email.

Yeah teamwork! Everyone working together to have a situation rectified.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread