What information is in the datafeed?
    Hi, I've always created affiliate pages via copy and paste (i.e. from specific product linking codes made available by the AM).

I have never asked for FTP capability (from let's say a SAS), if I were to do so is it possible to open the feed in a program like Excel and then to "hunt and pick" the information from the feed and use it or should I just wait until I am comfortable enough and would like to try my hand at PHP and MySQL?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    is it possible to open the feed in a program like Excel and then to "hunt and pick" the information from the feed and use it ?
    I'm sure you can "hunt and pick" any information from your feed. Product descriptions, manufacturers, link urls, image urls...

I sometimes only use part of the merchant's feed since most merchants' feeds are gigantic.

And yes, the feeds can be opened in Excel.

Hi Rhia,
    You don't need to apply for FTP to get the datafeeds, just go to your activity summary and find the line for the merchant whose feed you'd like to use. Click on the "Get Links" link and if a datafeed is available you can download it right there. Not all merchants offer datafeeds but if they do you can get it there.

Talking
    Actually - On your SAS home page just click on Datafeeds at the top of the page. Don't ever use your activity summary.

It will display every merchant at SAS with datafeeds. If you are already a member of a merchant it will let you preview what their feed looks like and you can download it to your computer if you want to.

If you are not a member of a merchant it will have a join link that you can click on to join and then you can preview the feed of that merchant.

It is in the third column from the left at the top of the page under Get Links/Banner.

You can open them in excel and copy and paste if you want to.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Indeed, if you have some templates you like and/or a lot of experience and prefer building pages by hand, a merchant datafeed in Excel or some similar spreadsheet can be incredibly useful.

You can sort data and get just what you want for a single product or group of products.

Of course, you'll also learn in a hurry that some merchants appear to know or care nothing about their datafeeds. Some datafeeds are much better than others -- and some are just about worthless.

But you've undoubtedly already discovered that if you've done anything at all at SAS with the "Make a Page" -- the pages are generally only as good as the merchant's datafeed which powers the "Make a Page."
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks for all the posts so far.

What is the difference [i.e. in SAS] between what the affiliate would get from checking the box to apply for FTP as opposed to being able to instantly download a .CSV file?

Is the content the same or different?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Talking
    FTP is if you have an auto script on your site that will connect to the SAS feed by ftp and update your site automatically.

You need to download with csv to your computer to do what you want to do.

When you are asked what to do by your computer tell it to save the file then tell it to un-zip the file.

You can then double click on the file and it will auto open in excel for you.

You don't need ftp to do what you want to do.

The content is the same but you don't need ftp.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thanks for the explanation, Burger Boy
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread